Jim -

Default OT congrats, Calif.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
I did not support the guy just because his political affiliation began with
"R".

Nor did many others. McClintock was the best Republican candidate.

I agree. Too bad the voters did not see that. Hollywood blinded them.

But let us not forget the fact that they wanted a change and were desperate considering
the cast of players they were able to choose from.

I would like to see how many Dems voted for the guy.

A bunch. They all think Californina politics will become exciting as a
Terminator movie. :-(

Truly sad indeed. Arnold has a tough job ahead of him. He wants to cut $8 billion
from the budget and reduce property taxes at the same time. Good luck in that
endeavor.

Too bad you had to try to spin the win with your political bias. It is
unbecoming of
you Chuck.

That is my honest opinion. They have elected a celebrity, not a proven
administrator, into a situation where a proven administrator is required. Good
luck, CA. Hopefully, the interests that bankrolled the $1mm required to unseat
Davis know something about governing and they can instruct Arnold effectively.

Since he has been elected, I think everyone needs to give him a chance. He will likely
fail, but who knows.

I just hate to see the partisanship coming into play now, with the dems promising
another recall election in 100 days.

California spoke. Live with it.

They did. Makes no diffy woo to me, except as further proof that California
continues to be the Enchanted Land of Fruits and Nuts.

Again we agree. The state is totally screwed up both fiscally and politically. They
made their bed. Let them sleep in it.

Clams Canino

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

but I don't have any serious issues with Arnold as a politician. Not yet.

respect him as a self-made man of accomplishment and in his serious

moments,
he seems bright enough.

OK.......

So lets *say- Arnie don't slap any more asses, proves his business degree is
more than paper, and actually gets California turned around while forming a
bridge between the two parties.

IF (big if I grant) he does all that without digging any real holes.........
how do we elect him President? Ammendment? Or can congress pass a law to
"give him a pass" somehow?

-W

Joe Parsons

On 08 Oct 2003 23:31:56 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

I did not support the guy just because his political affiliation began with
"R".

Nor did many others. McClintock was the best Republican candidate.

I would like to see how many Dems voted for the guy.

A bunch. They all think Californina politics will become exciting as a
Terminator movie. :-(

Too bad you had to try to spin the win with your political bias. It is
unbecoming of
you Chuck.

That is my honest opinion. They have elected a celebrity, not a proven
administrator, into a situation where a proven administrator is required. Good
luck, CA. Hopefully, the interests that bankrolled the $1mm required to unseat
Davis

Actually, Darrell Issa put up $1.6 million of his own money to gather the
signatures necessary to initiate the recall. He subsequently paid an additional
$845,000 to help promote it. IIANM, this occurred at a time that he expected to
be a viable candidate. His hopes of seizing the Governor's Mansion came to an
end when his two arrests in the 1970s on felony charges came to light. His
dropping out of the race coincided interestingly with Schwarzenegger's
announcement on the Jay Leno Show that he, himself, would run.

The last numbers I saw pegged the cost of the recall at around $70 million--up a
tad from the $35 million originally estimated.

know something about governing and they can instruct Arnold effectively.

California spoke. Live with it.

They did. Makes no diffy woo to me, except as further proof that California
continues to be the Enchanted Land of Fruits and Nuts.

Hey. Watch it.

Joe Parsons
San Francisco Bay

http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveilla...0011031_eff_us
a_patriot_analysis.php

Joe Parsons

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:00:15 GMT, "Jim -" wrote:

[snip]

I just hate to see the partisanship coming into play now, with the dems promising
another recall election in 100 days.

"Coming into play NOW?"

Jeez--the whole THING was a display of partisanship--period.

Joe Parsons

Gould 0738

IF (big if I grant) he does all that without digging any real holes.........
how do we elect him President? Ammendment? Or can congress pass a law to
"give him a pass" somehow?

-W

Constitutional amendment. (Or you elect his wife, who defers to Arnold in all
matters.)

Bad idea. The Constitution shouldn't be tweaked around for the convenience of
the moment, regardless how popular a particular movie star might be.

Clams Canino

I was thinking more like Congress passing a law declaring Arnold a natural
born citizen. LOL
I don't fancy the idea of screwing around with the Constitution.

I don't see him as a movie star. I know his resume and it shows a man of
tremenous drive and resolve. I'm not saying he can fix California, but if he
can - I'd take a hard look at him as POTUS material.

-W

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
IF (big if I grant) he does all that without digging any real

holes.........
how do we elect him President? Ammendment? Or can congress pass a law to
"give him a pass" somehow?

-W

Constitutional amendment. (Or you elect his wife, who defers to Arnold in

all
matters.)

Bad idea. The Constitution shouldn't be tweaked around for the convenience

of
the moment, regardless how popular a particular movie star might be.

bb

wrote:

I just hate to see the partisanship coming into play now, with the dems promising
another recall election in 100 days.

Well at least the Democrat Feinstein has the nads to attempt to do
what right for the public, rather than what's best for party politics:

Feinstein, who waged a strong campaign to help her one-time foe Davis
remain in office, said she was ready to help Republican governor-elect
Schwarzenegger and called a rumored Democratic effort to subject him
to a recall drive a "mistake."

"One of the problems is hyper-partisanship," said Feinstein. "You need
to break that cycle."

bb
Joe Parsons

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:28:55 GMT, "Jim -" wrote:

"Joe Parsons" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:00:15 GMT, "Jim -" wrote:

[snip]

I just hate to see the partisanship coming into play now, with the dems promising
another recall election in 100 days.

"Coming into play NOW?"

Jeez--the whole THING was a display of partisanship--period.

Joe Parsons

Exactly how Joe?

Well, let's see...where to start?

How about the fact that Rep. Darrell Issa (R Vista) was writing checks and
gathering signatures for a recall even as Gray Davis was being sworn in for his
second term as Governor. And (imagine everyone's surprise) Rep. Issa intended
to run as a replacement candidate himself.

Now, there's no argument that Davis was an unpopular governor--when the SF
Chronicle endorsed him over his Republican Rival, Bill Simon, they said, "Hold
your nose and vote for Davis." But I don't think it takes any exceptional
discernment to see that the recall, initiated and funded by one politician who
did not like the outcome of the just-completed, lawful election, was a back-door
way to capture an office he would have no chance to win in a normal, 10 month
long campaign.

As it was, toward the end of this six-week campaign, Schwarzenegger's support
was waning from its peak, and I don't think it takes too much of an imagination
to guess that, given time and a "normal" campaign, his undeniable star power
would not be sufficient to carry him into the Governor's office.

I hope he does manage to keep his considerable energies to the daunting task
ahead of him. I suspect he's in for some eye-openers when he has to lock horns
with some of the farther right members of his party in the State Legislature.

I wish him all the best.

Joe Parsons
Mark Browne

snip
California spoke. Live with it.

I expect to see the same stoic attitude from you when the next Democrat wins
the Whitehouse.

Mark Browne