BoatBanter.com

-   -   Hydrolock mystery continues: (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1493-hydrolock-mystery-continues.html)

Gould 0738 October 8th 03 12:49 AM

Hydrolock mystery continues:

So far, fairly certain it isn't the manifold.

Now looking very hard at the aftercooler. I replaced the aftercooler 6 or 7
years ago. Would not have suspected this relatively new part. I can't figure
out how enough water could get into the cylinder through the aftercooler,
(which is mounted below the intake manifold) to hydrolock the engine.
One would think that the failure of a tube or two in the aftercooler would
introduce
*some* water, or vapor, into the cylinder but not a huge puddle or enough to
create a hydrolock.

Will keep developments posted- somebody else may learn from my misfortune.

Wayne.B October 8th 03 01:18 AM

On 07 Oct 2003 23:49:30 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Will keep developments posted

==========================

Yes, please do. Cavitation erosion, cracked block, or cracked head
has been ruled out?

Gould 0738 October 8th 03 01:38 AM

Hydrolock mystery continues:

Yes, please do. Cavitation erosion, cracked block, or cracked head
has been ruled out?

According to the guys on site, the most likely suspect at this point is the
aftercooler. As I said, I'm a bit stumped about how all that water would have
traveled *up* several inches and in sufficient quantity.........but that's why
I'm not a mechanic and those who have the knowledge are.

Wayne.B October 8th 03 02:39 AM

On 08 Oct 2003 00:38:08 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

I'm a bit stumped about how all that water would have
traveled *up* several inches and in sufficient quantity.

I'd guess (and it's only that), that the turbo itself probably creates
enough air pressure and flow to move a fair volume of water. It must
have stopped the engine VERY abruptly however if the water only got to
one cylinder that way.

Rick October 8th 03 03:03 AM

Hydrolock mystery continues:

What make and model engine is it?