Default Aftermath of Northeast Snowstorm - astonishing...

In article 0a211ed7-1840-4857-bf86-847055ca7079
@s30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com, says...

On Nov 1, 6:39*pm, X ` Man dump-on-conservati...@anywhere-you-
can.com wrote:
On 11/1/11 6:36 PM, Tim wrote:

On Nov 1, 11:13 am, *wrote:
On Nov 1, 8:10 am, X ` Mandump-on-conservati...@anywhere-you-

can.com *wrote:
Boston (CNN) -- Parts of New England were expected to hit the low 50s
Tuesday, which could be considered balmy to some who braved the freak
October snowstorm that dropped more than 2 feet of snow in some places
over the weekend.

But while temperatures are on the rise for parts of the Northeastern
United States, millions were still in the dark, dealing with widespread
power outages.

More than 1.6 million customers in five states remained without power
early Tuesday morning as workers scrambled to get the situation under
control. On Monday, officials warned it could be Friday before power is
back on everywhere.

At least 13 deaths have been blamed on the weekend storm, which prompted
emergency declarations from the governors of New York, New Jersey,
Connecticut and Massachusetts, and also canceled Halloween
trick-or-treating in some areas.

President Barack Obama signed an emergency declaration for Connecticut
on Monday, ordering federal aid to supplement state and local response
efforts.

At least 20 Connecticut cities and towns, including the capital city of
Hartford, canceled events or asked parents to wait until later to take
their kids trick-or-treating, according to CNN affiliate WFSB. Even Gov.
Dannel Malloy and his wife, Cathy, said they will be leaving the lights off.

"No amount of candy is worth a potentially serious or even fatal
accident," the governor said in a statement.

Some of the heaviest snow fell in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey
and New York, but snowfall amounts of at least a foot were recorded from
West Virginia to Maine. The Berkshire County community of Peru,
Massachusetts, received 32 inches of snow during the storm.

About 1,300 people were staying in Massachusetts shelters, state
officials said on Monday. In Connecticut, 50 shelters were open, Malloy
said.

Connecticut power officials said early Tuesday that about 690,000 people
were still without power, down from a peak of more than 900,000.

Saturday morning I heard a loud bang then a moment later the power
went out. I was speculating that the bang was a transformer explosion
so out of curiosity I jumped in my car to take a look. It turned out
that the noise that I heard was unrelated to the loss of power.

A young girl driving down the road had swerved to avoid a sagging limb
and lost control of her pickup and struck another oncoming pickup
truck head on. She didn't survive.

Makes the inconvenience of being without electricity seem
insignificant.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2011...111039936/1116

That's horrible, dude. Very sad.

It really is. And on a less severe note, but still worth mentioning,
apparently the Ingersolls are without electricity and heat at their
house. You gotta hate it when that happens.

I remember asking one of my grandfathers once during a hurricane in New
England when the power went out what he did in Russia when their power
went out. He just laughed, and told me they didn't have electrified
homes in his home village. *:)

Much of rural America was not electrified until FDR's terms of office.

My grandparents didn't subscribe to rural electric until the early
50's It was available ,but they didn't see the need for it. i don't
really know what changed their minds But I think it was about the time
of the phasing out of the crank telephones. however, they did get a
freezer and a refrigerator.

Where I grew up in northern Appalachia there are still people who live
off of the grid, past where the power lines stop.

can.com wrote:
[...]

I can't even imagine being out is a car that night, you would be a
sitting duck... Wait till I put up the pictures, the tree guys that came
in said it was way worse than Gloria or Isabelle, two huge stroms that
have hit the East Coast over the last few decades...

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 08:10:50 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

Boston (CNN) -- Parts of New England were expected to hit the low 50s
Tuesday, which could be considered balmy to some who braved the freak
October snowstorm that dropped more than 2 feet of snow in some places
over the weekend.

was on my boat for last weekend at the jersey shore this weekend.
winds hit 40 mph...boat rocked like a drunken sailor. very cold...but
no snow. northern jersey got hit

oh well, even with the crazy wx it was still a nice end to the boating
season. pulled batteries from boat monday...ready for hauling

wrote:

Boston (CNN) -- Parts of New England were expected to hit the low 50s
Tuesday, which could be considered balmy to some who braved the freak
October snowstorm that dropped more than 2 feet of snow in some places
over the weekend.

was on my boat for last weekend at the jersey shore this weekend.
winds hit 40 mph...boat rocked like a drunken sailor. very cold...but
no snow. northern jersey got hit

oh well, even with the crazy wx it was still a nice end to the boating
season. pulled batteries from boat monday...ready for hauling

I'm almost afraid to ask why you pulled the batteries before the boat is
hauled.

--
1-20-13 The end of an error

wrote:

Boston (CNN) -- Parts of New England were expected to hit the low 50s
Tuesday, which could be considered balmy to some who braved the freak
October snowstorm that dropped more than 2 feet of snow in some places
over the weekend.

was on my boat for last weekend at the jersey shore this weekend.
winds hit 40 mph...boat rocked like a drunken sailor. very cold...but
no snow. northern jersey got hit

oh well, even with the crazy wx it was still a nice end to the boating
season. pulled batteries from boat monday...ready for hauling

I'm almost afraid to ask why you pulled the batteries before the boat is
hauled.

It wasn't his boat.

--
The reason government can't fix the economic problems is government is
the problem.

wrote:

Boston (CNN) -- Parts of New England were expected to hit the low 50s
Tuesday, which could be considered balmy to some who braved the freak
October snowstorm that dropped more than 2 feet of snow in some places
over the weekend.

was on my boat for last weekend at the jersey shore this weekend.
winds hit 40 mph...boat rocked like a drunken sailor. very cold...but
no snow. northern jersey got hit

oh well, even with the crazy wx it was still a nice end to the boating
season. pulled batteries from boat monday...ready for hauling

I'm almost afraid to ask why you pulled the batteries before the boat is
hauled.

It wasn't his boat.

I see. He wanted to have some spare batteries.

--
1-20-13 The end of an error

wrote:

Boston (CNN) -- Parts of New England were expected to hit the low 50s
Tuesday, which could be considered balmy to some who braved the freak
October snowstorm that dropped more than 2 feet of snow in some places
over the weekend.

was on my boat for last weekend at the jersey shore this weekend.
winds hit 40 mph...boat rocked like a drunken sailor. very cold...but
no snow. northern jersey got hit

oh well, even with the crazy wx it was still a nice end to the boating
season. pulled batteries from boat monday...ready for hauling

I'm almost afraid to ask why you pulled the batteries before the boat is
hauled.

because i live 120 miles away and i pulled them the day the boat got
hauled.