Jack Mulligan

Default Traveling with boats

In late August my wife and I will be driving from Florida to northern
Minnesota with two kayaks and one canoe strapped to the top of our car.
We're headed for a blissful four days in the BWCAW. Along the way we'll be
stopping to see friends and family, and we'd hoped to paddle some at our
various stops. I ask the collective wisdom's help on a couple of questions.

1. In planning our trip I've learned that MN requires all boats to be
licensed. In FL only motorized boats need licenses, so this came as a bit
of a surprise. I don't know if we want to license three boats in MN for a
week's visit. We also don't know if there are any other states along our
route with a similar requirement. Does anyone know of a resource or
reference to check for boating regulations state by state?

2. Securing the boats to the top of the car is another concern of ours. We
have a well used Yakima rack system for carrying the boats, but securing
them for an over night stay along the interstates is something else. I'd
hate to arise at some Motel 6 to find an empty car top. Any suggestions?

With warmest regards,
-JM

Marsh Jones

Jack Mulligan wrote:
In late August my wife and I will be driving from Florida to northern
Minnesota with two kayaks and one canoe strapped to the top of our car.
We're headed for a blissful four days in the BWCAW. Along the way we'll be
stopping to see friends and family, and we'd hoped to paddle some at our
various stops. I ask the collective wisdom's help on a couple of questions.

OK, firstoff, welcome to Minnesota. The BWCA is a great place to paddle
- like nowhere in the world. I assume you are planning on using the
canoe in the BWCA and the kayaks elsewhere. Portaging a 'yak is no fun
in the BW.

1. In planning our trip I've learned that MN requires all boats to be
licensed. In FL only motorized boats need licenses, so this came as a bit
of a surprise. I don't know if we want to license three boats in MN for a
week's visit. We also don't know if there are any other states along our
route with a similar requirement. Does anyone know of a resource or
reference to check for boating regulations state by state?

Check http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulatio...ter/index.html
Minnesota requires instate permits for any boat used in MN for 90 days,
otherwise a homestate license will do.
There is a link to ask questions, but if there is any kind of a
registration from FLA, you should be OK. Otherwise, it's $15 for 3 years.

2. Securing the boats to the top of the car is another concern of ours. We
have a well used Yakima rack system for carrying the boats, but securing
them for an over night stay along the interstates is something else. I'd
hate to arise at some Motel 6 to find an empty car top. Any suggestions?

About all you can do is cable lock them on and wrap the cable thru the
thwarts/seats. If someone wants it, they'll take it. Park in well lit
parking lots and maybe set the alarm on the car.

Have a great trip,

Marsh Jones
Minneapolis

With warmest regards,
-JM

Steve Cramer

Jack Mulligan wrote:

1. In planning our trip I've learned that MN requires all boats to be
licensed. In FL only motorized boats need licenses, so this came as a bit
of a surprise. I don't know if we want to license three boats in MN for a
week's visit. We also don't know if there are any other states along our
route with a similar requirement. Does anyone know of a resource or
reference to check for boating regulations state by state?

If I were doing this, I think I might take a hint from a guy I read
about who had an olive drab car with USTP234455678 on the doors. He
drove anywhere he liked, and no one ever questioned his right to be
there. USTP="U.S. Tax Payer". You can guess what the other 9 digits were.

Get some stick on letters and put FL 273849 on the bows of your boats.
What seasonal ranger is going to know the laws of all 50 states?

Oh, yeah, don't come crying if this gets you in trouble.

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA

Wright

2. Securing the boats to the top of the car is another concern of ours. We
have a well used Yakima rack system for carrying the boats, but securing
them for an over night stay along the interstates is something else. I'd
hate to arise at some Motel 6 to find an empty car top. Any suggestions?

With warmest regards,
-JM

This is just in reply to the question of securing boats (particularly kayaks
w/o a secure attachment point) to the top of a locking car rack. One of the
neatest solutions I have seen is to get two of the plastic covered steel
cables (two per boat) with a large loop at one end and a small loop at the
other end. The larger loop of each cable is looped around the bow and stern
respectively then the two smaller looped ends are rapped around and under
the car-top rack and padlocked together. The cables, of course, need to be
the correct length such that when locked together the bow and stern loops
can not be pulled far enough apart to remove them. You would not want to
leave this security device in place while driving, but for motels and
restaurants it provides a lot of peace of mind! It also requires someone to
make the cables to fit your boat length but there are places that will do
this.
Chuck

Mike McCrea

Jack Mulligan wrote

2. Securing the boats to the top of the car is another concern of ours. We
have a well used Yakima rack system for carrying the boats, but securing
them for an over night stay along the interstates is something else. I'd
hate to arise at some Motel 6 to find an empty car top. Any suggestions?

When we do a motel stay while cartopping boats I always ask for a room
"down and out, up front". Most motel clerks know that means a 1st
floor walk out room, up in the front of the motel (as opposed to a
second floor room, or one back in the shadows at the rear of the motel
with the car parked amidst the idleing semi trucks). I feel safer with
my vehicle parked immediately outside my motel room door (my boats are
locked down and it would take some time and noise to get them free).
Rick

Mike McCrea wrote:

Jack Mulligan wrote

2. Securing the boats to the top of the car is another concern of ours. We
have a well used Yakima rack system for carrying the boats, but securing
them for an over night stay along the interstates is something else. I'd
hate to arise at some Motel 6 to find an empty car top. Any suggestions?

When we do a motel stay while cartopping boats I always ask for a room
"down and out, up front". Most motel clerks know that means a 1st
floor walk out room, up in the front of the motel (as opposed to a
second floor room, or one back in the shadows at the rear of the motel
with the car parked amidst the idleing semi trucks). I feel safer with
my vehicle parked immediately outside my motel room door (my boats are
locked down and it would take some time and noise to get them free).

When leaving boats on the car at night, I also add a bicycle cable as
the bow and stern lines. Locked to the car chassis and the grab loops,
they are difficult to take off, to say the least. Another benefit is
that if the potential theif cuts the grab loops to take the boats off,
they have really shot themselves in the foot.

I assume that 17' sea kayaks are more difficult to steal than, say, your
average playboat, and are probably, as a result, less attractive targets.

Rick