TB

Default Very Expensive Canoe

Out of my price range:

http://www.guyetteandschmidt.com/arc.../nov2002p2.htm

Scroll down.

Wilko

TB wrote:

Out of my price range:

http://www.guyetteandschmidt.com/arc.../nov2002p2.htm

What is it made of, hand carved and painted platinum? ;-)

Those prices are in US dollars, aren't they?

If so that's the most outrageous price I've ever seen for a Old Town
canoe, let alone for a display model!

--
Wilko van den Bergh Wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe

Rick

Wilko wrote:
TB wrote:

Out of my price range:

http://www.guyetteandschmidt.com/arc.../nov2002p2.htm

What is it made of, hand carved and painted platinum? ;-)

Those prices are in US dollars, aren't they?

If so that's the most outrageous price I've ever seen for a Old Town
canoe, let alone for a display model!

This seems to be part of an antique/collectors auction. The prices are
insane. 11,500 USD for a pintail duck decoy is worse than the boat.

My bet is that the old town is 50+ years old and was sitting, unused, in
a shop window for most, or all, of its life. I still can't imagine
anyone spending that much money for the thing, but auctions like these
are for those who have more dollars (and space) than brains.

Rick
Mike McCrea

Rick wrote

This seems to be part of an antique/collectors auction. The prices are
insane. 11,500 USD for a pintail duck decoy is worse than the boat.

The prices that the work of some eastern shore master carvers get for
their decoys and other objects is astounding.

But as long as collectors are willing to bid up the prices and fork
over the big bucks I gotta smile. Most of those carvers whose work
commands such prices and attention are the eastern shore version of
good ole boys who have worked the water, hunted and fished and guided
their whole lives.

I wish 'em the best and hope they can keep fleecing wealthy collectors
as long as they can whittle and carve.
Rick

Mike McCrea wrote:
Rick wrote

This seems to be part of an antique/collectors auction. The prices are
insane. 11,500 USD for a pintail duck decoy is worse than the boat.

The prices that the work of some eastern shore master carvers get for
their decoys and other objects is astounding.

But as long as collectors are willing to bid up the prices and fork
over the big bucks I gotta smile. Most of those carvers whose work
commands such prices and attention are the eastern shore version of
good ole boys who have worked the water, hunted and fished and guided
their whole lives.

I wish 'em the best and hope they can keep fleecing wealthy collectors
as long as they can whittle and carve.

Mike,

I don't argue your sentiments. To paraphrase an old adage, an object is
only worth what someone will pay for it. Many of these folks have
suffered through some difficult economic times. Me, I'm in no position
to grant such largesse or to support starving artists. I'm glad someone
is, I guess.

As for the boat, I don't think Old Town was ever in the same category. I
could get one of Vaillancourt's birch bark reproductions for less, and
I'd probably enjoy it more (though it would still about 7K USD):

http://www.birchbarkcanoe.net/canoepg.htm

Vaillancourt's efforts are documented in McPhee's awesome book,
"Survival of the Bark Canoe," and is a craftsman of the highest order.
Regardless of whether you are interested in canoes, McPhee is well worth
reading. Unlike me, an incredible writer.

Rick

PMH

Rick wrote:

Vaillancourt's efforts are documented in McPhee's awesome book,
"Survival of the Bark Canoe," and is a craftsman of the highest order.
Regardless of whether you are interested in canoes, McPhee is well
worth reading.

I second the motion r.e.: Vaillancourt & the birch canoe makers like
him. Their work commands prices nearing 10K & they're worth it. A
Google on birch canoes will give you about a dozen master craftsmen. I
also second the motion on McPhee's book I also highly recommend his
"Encounters with the Archdruid" for an intimate look at the soul and
politics of environmentalism. You'll perhaps find out these two
attributes are mutually exclusive.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton (Reg. Me. Guide) aka The Ent

--
Either everyone has rights or some have privileges.
It's really that simple.

John Kuthe

Wilko wrote:

TB wrote:

Out of my price range:

http://www.guyetteandschmidt.com/arc.../nov2002p2.htm

What is it made of, hand carved and painted platinum? ;-)
Those prices are in US dollars, aren't they?
If so that's the most outrageous price I've ever seen for a Old Town
canoe, let alone for a display model!

We've got an 1896 fully restored Old Town wooden canoe on display at the
shop I work at, the Alpine Shop in St Louis. I was told it was restored
by a guy who worked at the shop, and that someone once offered him
$30,000 for it, but he refused. Just heresay, mind you, but the shop
does have the 1896 canoe, and it's beautiful too!

John Kuthe...