Default ??? about living on a houseboat

Hi,

I would like to live on a houseboat for as much of the time as possible, and
live in the state of GA. People have told me several different things regarding
how much time a person can live on their boat, so as yet I don't know what
the truth is. Can anyone tell me where to find out what the regulations really
are?

Thanks for any help!
David
Skip Gundlach

Howdy...

wrote in message
news
Hi,

I would like to live on a houseboat for as much of the time as possible,

and
live in the state of GA. People have told me several different things

regarding
how much time a person can live on their boat, so as yet I don't know what
the truth is. Can anyone tell me where to find out what the regulations

really
are?

I don't know that there are state regulations about this matter, but the
marina, if you're in one, and the Corps of Engineers, if you're on one of
their lakes, may have their own rules.

Here on Lanier, I personally knew someone who lived on his trawler-style
houseboat year round in Bald Ridge Marina. This was in the days of
all-wired telephone communication, too, so he was conitinuously hooked up to
power and phone. How he got away with it, I don't know. The Corps has a
not-more-than-2weeks-continuous-occupancy rule, mostly to make living aboard
difficult...

Don't know that this answers the question - may just create more!

However, if you're on a Corps lake, I'd go to the Corps' website for info.
If you're going to be in a marina, perhaps the same, or just a phone call.
For the state, it's ga.gov sites...

L8R

Skip

PS Peggie might know - she's a prior marina user on Lanier...

Steve

Generally you won't find any state or federal restrictions on living aboard
your boat. The restrictions come from local or municipal authorities who
like to feel they are responsible for possible sewage waste/discharge.

Often times the marinas only own or lease the land and a few feet of water
front, while the water that their docks are on leased from the state, port
authority or DNR, etc. Generally these leases stipulate and restrict the
manor in which the waterfront will be used.

If you only want to see what it would be like to live aboard for a season or
a year, I wouldn't bother to ask.. If there is not restriction in your
marina lease/rental agreement, then give it a try.. If you run around asking
the authorities, I doubt you will ever find one person willing to say "no
problem, go for it". In fact you question, alone could be enough to cause
the beaurocratic wheels to start rolling or a search of old statutes that
could support their prohibition.

My experience. "Sneak-Aboard", live aboard until someone makes a comment,
then just play their game with a old camper in the parking lot..

The last strict marina I was in put in a computerized gate card system and
monitored the 'goings and comings' to determine who might be living aboard.
Last time I checked, they had abandon this but were relying on 'dock
snitches' and had prohibited staying in RVs in the parking lot..

Living aboard is great. I'm 'sneaking aboard' now even though my house is
only two mile away. I plan to spend the winter aboard (or until the marina
manager tells me "no more")

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Vito

Steve wrote:

If you only want to see what it would be like to live aboard for a season or
a year, I wouldn't bother to ask.. ....

Good advise. Lower level bureaucrats seldom have the authority to says
"yes" but they can avoid the embarrassment of admitting that by simply
saying "no" then round-filing your application.

Houseboat rental ! MickeyMagic General 3 September 18th 03 03:51 AM
Living on a boat: winter?? sergem General 9 July 31st 03 04:32 AM