BoatBanter.com

-   -   "New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1396-%22new%22-boat-comparison-bayliner-vs-larson.html)

Trevor October 2nd 03 09:50 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Given both in good condition (survey etc) - might I get some feedback
from this fine group on the following two boats?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/50710772.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/40244748.htm

Thanks much...

tcGb,
-trevor

Bob D. October 2nd 03 10:23 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Not much to go on. It looks like the larson may be better equipped, but
I like the interior style of the bayliner. The bayliner is newer, but
that doesn't necessarily mean squat. I guess it comes down to what you
think.

Bob Dimond

Bob D. October 2nd 03 10:28 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Better yet. Look up the NADA or BUC valu and see which one is more in
line. Also in looking further into the description while I like the
Bayliner interior, I'd tend to go with the Larson if the the dealer
warranty is reasonable vs any used boat without any warranty.

Bob Dimond (again)

bowgus October 2nd 03 10:44 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Well ... the Larson comes with a guy with a beard and 2 little kids ... -1
point. The Larson has imo an excellent trailer ... with brakes ... I'd need
those brakes if I was trailering this size boat ... 2 points. They both are
(look to be) equally powered ... 4.3 mercruiser, alpha outdrive ... but is
that adequate power for 20 ' fiberglass boat? I myself don't think so if I
was planning on bringing along company. The Bayliner looks to have been well
looked after ... or maybe hardly used ... 1 point. Does that look like a new
lower unit? Hmmm ... 1/2 point.

If it was me and I could upgrade the trailer, I'd take (virtually that is)
the Bayliner.

om...

RGrew176 October 3rd 03 06:53 AM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

To answer your horsepower question I had a 1995 Bayliner 2052 Cuddy much like
the one in the ad. It was powered by a 4.3LX 190 HP engine and with just me in
the boat would top out a 57 mph (according to the GPS). This was before the
selective availability was turned off so I don't know if that affected the
speed readings. With 5 aboard 4 adults and 1 child it would still do 52 MPH so
it was fast.

It was not a bad boat but I moved up to a 26 footer after this boat to get back
into the cruiser catagory. The Larson looks nice too so you are the one that
has to make the choice as to which suits your needs best. A 20' boat is mainly
IMO an inland lake or river boat although I did have mine out on Lake Erie
several times but only during "nice" conditions.

Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a
weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground
easily, it is a valuable plant.

Bob D. October 3rd 03 09:09 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Aww.. come on! A 20 foot boat out in Lake Erie only in nice conditions?
If you overnight in it you might as well take it out in a little bit of
weather 'cause you and I both know on Lake Erie you going to hit it
anyway!

Bob Dimond

P.S. I moved up to a 23. Wish I could move up to a 26 though :^)

Gould 0738 October 3rd 03 09:55 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Aww.. come on! A 20 foot boat out in Lake Erie only in nice conditions?
If you overnight in it you might as well take it out in a little bit of
weather 'cause you and I both know on Lake Erie you going to hit it
anyway!

Egging a guy out into conditions beyond the capabilities of his boat is not the
mark of a serious mariner.

Might as well check the VHF marine weather forecast, as well as current
conditions. Might as well pay careful attention to reports from monitoring
stations in the weather quarter. Might as well consult a barometer and see if
it's rising or falling at your specific location.
The weather doesn't give a rip snort how tough you or I think we might be, or
pay much attention to the marketing claims of one builder vs. another.

Light displacement, low freeboard, shallow draft boats with flat transoms (not
to mention open foredecks, no bow flare, etc) are fair weather playthings. Just
because you can take one out in ridiculous conditions and avoid death, (a
percentage of the time), doesn't make the practice advisable.

It's one thing to get caught out in the snot and have to work your way to
shelter. It's another thing entirely to put out in a small boat into the teeth
of a big wind.

Bob D. October 3rd 03 11:12 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Sorry, Gould, but I don't completely agree. First of all I'm not telling
people to make a crossing in gale force winds. Second a small boat can
handle quite a bit IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MINIMIZE WEATHER ON YOUR BOAT!

Also, I've said in previous post. If you are using a boat to travel any
distance and/or overnight away form home port on Lake Erie, you better
DAMN WELL have a feel for a little rough water, because sooner or later IT
WILL FIND YOU.

Gould, Lake Erie can kick up to a mess in a little as fifteen minutes. If
you an hour away from homeport then what? It's better to get some
PLANNED experience going out a little at a time but staying close to home
port to get acquainted/acclimated to harder conditions, rather than sit
tied to the dock all season or worse, caught having to travel a great
distance in bad water without any prior experience.

That's my take on it. If you want to put a derrogatory label on me by all
means.

Bob Dimond

Gould 0738 October 4th 03 12:41 AM

(Gould 0738) wrote:

Aww.. come on! A 20 foot boat out in Lake Erie only in nice conditions?
If you overnight in it you might as well take it out in a little bit of
weather 'cause you and I both know on Lake Erie you going to hit it
anyway!

Egging a guy out into conditions beyond the capabilities of his boat is

not the
mark of a serious mariner.

We agree that one needs to be prepared for snotty weather, and that it can't
always be avoided. We disagree that it is prudent to put out into conditions
that are marginal and unstable to begin with, what if they get worse?

I'm not trying to put a label on you as an individual, but I think that your
weather philosophy is not as well developed as might be. IMO. Others will, can,
and should disagree.

scottht October 4th 03 01:25 AM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

I have a question. I have just recently bought a 1986 SeaRay 21' mid
cabin. What type of weather will this boat handle? I would feel
comfortable in 2 foot waves. Am I being foolish? What point should I say
this is not safe for my boat? I am saying lake Ontario. I mostly cruise
the finger lakes but would like to try Ontario next year. Thanks, Scott

Gould 0738 October 4th 03 03:15 AM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

I have a question. I have just recently bought a 1986 SeaRay 21' mid
cabin. What type of weather will this boat handle? I would feel
comfortable in 2 foot waves.

Depending on wave characteristic, (standing chop on one extreme and rolling
swells on the other), the answer will vary.

Depending on your personal seamanship, the answer will vary. If you are
uncertain, uncomfortable, or unhappy.....it doesn't make any difference what
the boat will withstand. You are more likely to make mistakes if you get
frightened, and that could result in mishandling that will negate some of the
boat's designed in survival characteristics.

Personal standard? When standing chop is even with or well above the available
freeboard, it's time to get concerned. That's not an absolute, and there are
other approaches. I know a guy who tries to figure 3" of chop per thousand
pounds displacement as a safety level for small boats, and well known Pacific
NW boating author Dale Petersen ("Day by Day to Alaska"..runs to AK in a
Bayliner Trophy) has a formula based on LWL vs. wave height.

Got a small boat? Carry a great big barometer. :-)

An error on the side of caution is a wise man's error when it comes to weather.

RGrew176 October 4th 03 05:58 AM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

From: (Bob D.)

Aww.. come on! A 20 foot boat out in Lake Erie only in nice conditions?
If you overnight in it you might as well take it out in a little bit of
weather 'cause you and I both know on Lake Erie you going to hit it
anyway!

Bob Dimond

My opinion only. The 2052 Capri was to light for Lake Erie in anything over 3'.
Yes I could go out on the lake but would not have an enjoyable time. On the
thousands of Michigans inland lakes or the Detroit River the Capri was a great
boat. I personally chose not to go out on Lake Erie when it was rough. When I
had my first Bayliner a 2450 Ciera a totally different story. Same with the 26
the 28 or my current 30. They could and did and do handle the rough stuff. Made
a run to Kelleys Island the weekend before last. Left on Friday catching the
remmnants of hurricane Isabel. Four to six foot rollers. When I pulled into
Kelleys a couple of guys helped me to tie up to the dock. They wondered why I
would come across in such lousy conditions. I told them, "I was doing
research." What research they asked, "I was researching whether or not
Bayliners hold together in rough conditions." I made it there, they had a good
laugh and that was that. Heck, my son followed me in his jet ski. I tried to
talk him out of it but he wanted to make the trip. It was too rough for him to
keep up so I had to stop several times for him to catch up.

Again, the Capri is a nice boat but the smaller ones are not rough water boats
IMO. Knowing how nasty Lake Erie can get in a very short time I chose not to
put myself in harms way with that boat.

Life is sexually transmitted.

Capt. Frank Hopkins October 5th 03 03:19 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Hi Trevor,
Basically there is no comparison. We are talking apples and oranges. The
Bayliner "Capri" is an entry level boat. Thin hull! A little short on
amenities, Spartan really, and a 4 cyl 130 hp or 135 hp (depends on
which engine is installed) coupled with a basic alpha drive.

The Larson is a high end, well built boat, with a fine reputation. It
includes a 6 cyl 190 hp, and other amenities such as dual batteries (can
save you a tow) and pump-out head. You will also find the items such as
upholstery and in dash instruments are a better quality. You will find
the Larson is a safer, much better built boat which will hold its value
much longer.

Capt Frank

Capt. Frank Hopkins October 5th 03 03:33 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Hey Trevor,
One last thing. Safety first! If you are new to boating, or even if you
are not, I heartly recommend a USCG boating safety class. Remember, as
Captain, you are both legally and morally responsible for the lives of
your passengers.

You will find some info about children's & pet's life jackets, and some
basic abandon ship info on my personal website. Please feel free to make
use of the information. There are also some pictures from Chuck Gould's
voyage log.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Capt. Frank

Dionysus Feldman October 5th 03 03:33 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Bob Dimond-

Sorry, Gould, but I don't completely agree. First of all I'm not telling
people to make a crossing in gale force winds. Second a small boat can
handle quite a bit IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MINIMIZE WEATHER ON YOUR BOAT!

df-

So how does one minimize weather on a boat? Say a 24' Sedan cruiser on
Lake Michigan?

BOB October 5th 03 04:35 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Larry!

Yeah I tend to keep a lower profile unless I feel I can contribute
something on the subject...

Hey Bob! didn't know you were up here..

Wayne.B October 5th 03 05:15 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:33:42 -0400,
(Dionysus Feldman) wrote:

So how does one minimize weather on a boat? Say a 24' Sedan cruiser on
Lake Michigan?

=======================

Easy. Stay in protected water when the wind is blowing. :-)

Harry Krause October 5th 03 05:15 PM

WaIIy wrote:

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:33:42 -0400, (Dionysus
Feldman) wrote:

Bob Dimond-

Sorry, Gould, but I don't completely agree. First of all I'm not telling
people to make a crossing in gale force winds. Second a small boat can
handle quite a bit IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MINIMIZE WEATHER ON YOUR BOAT!

df-

So how does one minimize weather on a boat? Say a 24' Sedan cruiser on
Lake Michigan?

I was wondering that, too. Maybe he uses an umbrella.

There's a chapter for neophytes like you in Chapman, Wally. It is called
Special Seamanship Techniques. If memory serves, it discusses a number
of ways to reduce the impact of severe weather on you and your boat when
you are at sea.

On a sailboat, for example, you might want to reef the mainsail and
your genny to depower the sail plan.

Of course, I have no idea whether you even have a boat, Wally. Are you a
boater, or just one of the Neo-Con-Vict riff-raff that bespoils this
newsgroup?

--
* * *
email sent to

Don Pulaski October 5th 03 05:24 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Is this newsgroup on for boaters? Is there a way we can get rid of the riff
raft that clutter up this newsgroup with their right wing propaganda? I
have had it with all of the neonazis who have taken over the media we need
to find a way to keep them from taking over America.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
WaIIy wrote:

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:33:42 -0400, (Dionysus

Bob Dimond-

bowgus October 5th 03 05:29 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Out of curiosity, why do you suppose the bayliner web includes a pic of a
4.3 litre motor?

link.net...

Harry Krause October 5th 03 06:08 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

WaIIy wrote:

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:24:46 GMT, "Don Pulaski"
wrote:

Of course, I have no idea whether you even have a boat, Wally. Are you a
boater, or just one of the Neo-Con-Vict riff-raff that bespoils this
newsgroup?

LOL !

This is coming from a man with a pirate on his (suposed) boat.

You can take the hillbilly out of the hills, etc.

You seem to take the pirate cartoon on one of my boats awfully
seriously, Wally. Did a pirate ravage one of your ancestors?

Everyone who sees Yo Ho grins at the artwork and the name. Exactly my
intention.

I missed the part where you described your boat...

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Gould 0738 October 5th 03 06:55 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

There's a chapter for neophytes like you in Chapman,

Oh, Harry. I'll bet you $20 against a Krispy Kreme that somewhere in Chapman's
it counsels "Don't put out into severe weather." That's what the issue is in
this discussion.

Yes, if you get caught in bad weather there are steps to take to improve your
degree of safety.

I'm from the old school. A school that's so darn old that I don't know of
hardly anyboy that says, "If I do all the things I would do when caught in a
severe storm *before* leaving the dock, I can then smartly and safely venture
out into bad weather on a pleasure cruise."

Pass the Tostitos, please.

Harry Krause October 5th 03 06:58 PM

Gould 0738 wrote:

There's a chapter for neophytes like you in Chapman,

Oh, Harry. I'll bet you $20 against a Krispy Kreme that somewhere in Chapman's
it counsels "Don't put out into severe weather." That's what the issue is in
this discussion.

No bet. I'm sure there is. I don't go out if the weather is bad. Hell, I
was going to go out today, but even though the sun was shining, it was
only 42F at 8 am. If I wanted to boat in Seattle in the summertime, I'd
move near you!

Yes, if you get caught in bad weather there are steps to take to improve your
degree of safety.

Indeed, and there's a chapter about it in Chapman. Which is why I aimed
the fellow in that direction.

I'm from the old school. A school that's so darn old that I don't know of
hardly anyboy that says, "If I do all the things I would do when caught in a
severe storm *before* leaving the dock, I can then smartly and safely venture
out into bad weather on a pleasure cruise."

Pass the Tostitos, please.

Are those sudden onset Tositos?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Paul Schilter October 5th 03 07:56 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Capt. Frank,

I think boats need to be matched up to a captain and a body of water.
Perhaps more so to the captain. My brother in law has a 23 foot Bayliner
Ciera. I always been impressed with the usable room and all the amenities
for the price he paid. The problem is he boats on Lake St. Clair in
Michigan. This is a large shallow body of water, which on weekends has a
steady chop of 3 to 4 feet. Also he generally subscribes to two speeds,
idle and pedal to the metal. Consequently his boat has a lot of spidered
gelcoat. Now if perhaps he had a Fountain offshore racer or he was a mellow
sort of a driver or he operated on calmer waters, there wouldn't be a
problem........

Paul

BOB October 5th 03 09:34 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Can't say. Haven't been on Lake michigan. Minimizing weather is not
traveling directly from A to B , but changing course to take the waves
in a manner that maintains the highest degree of maneuveraqbility,
comfort or maybe even speed. Minimizing weather could also be changing
course to take advantage of safe passage on the lee side of an obstruct
(e.g island) On a trip it may necessitate having other waypoints
configured as contingency safe harbors. I guess it's not as clear cut
absolute as I made it sound, so YYMV. Sorry.

With regards to my boat, and where I boat, which I thought was near
where the bayliner 20 poster ran his boat, here's some example of what
I do.

For the 15 mile north-south I routinely travel from South Bass Island
to my Marina;

Heavy Wind/Water out of the south: Travel 1/3 SSW putting the weather
off the bow. Travel SSE 1/3 past the SW shore of Kellys. When you
enter the Sandusky Bay inlet you near shore and waves are dimished.

Heavy Wind/Water out of the North: Travel 1/3 SSW putting the weather
off the stern. Travel SSE 1/3 past the SW shore of Kellys. As you
enter the inley for Sandusky Bay, you will be in the lee.

Winds out of the west: The majority of weather is out of near shore.

Winds out of the east: Weather is off of the far shore. Rough for the
first three miles but seas are on the beam. Head SE to Kellys Western
Shore. Hug the shore, regain your breath, then hold on for that last
mile.

In article ,

Bob Dimond-

BOB October 5th 03 09:57 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

I should note that I'll take these manueuvers and others in anything
larger than six feet. Anythng less, and I can usually travel the
straight course, but that by no means infers that its a relaxing trip.

Besides fuel and other provisions (e.g. food water, SO's tolerance)
needed for the longer cruise. Sometimes its really a judgement call.
Adjust course to increase the variables I've mentioned, or stand on and
take it, and get it over with.

An example, I once took the Trophy in 5-7 foot rollers out of the
Detroit channel almost straight at greatly reduced speed (10-12mph)
because the winds were 50 miles out of my direction of travel. It
meant two hours of discomfort with the only reassurance that the further
you travel the more diminished the weather. It was the repeated as my
Mantra. By the time we got to South Bass, we were in great shape. We
got home to Sandusky withing an hour of a HUGE storm. I'll stand by my
decision to travel the straight.

Bob

Harry Krause October 5th 03 10:21 PM

BOB wrote:

An example, I once took the Trophy in 5-7 foot rollers out of the
Detroit channel almost straight at greatly reduced speed (10-12mph)
because the winds were 50 miles out of my direction of travel.

Are you referring to your 16' Trophy?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Trevor October 6th 03 01:11 AM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message link.net...
Hey Trevor,
One last thing. Safety first! If you are new to boating, or even if you
are not, I heartly recommend a USCG boating safety class. Remember, as
Captain, you are both legally and morally responsible for the lives of
your passengers.

You will find some info about children's & pet's life jackets, and some
basic abandon ship info on my personal website. Please feel free to make
use of the information. There are also some pictures from Chuck Gould's
voyage log.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Capt. Frank

Thanks much for the insight - FYI the Bayliner does have a 6 not a 4
but your description of the two was exactly what I was looking for.
I've been around boats for the better part of 15 years although never
owned my own. Biggest I've driven to date though was a 19' Bowrider
and was looking to move up as well as slowly moving my activities from
inland PA lakes to the Upper Chesapeake. (whole other world I'm
finding out, starting slow though). :)

Thanks again.

-trevor

Richard Malcolm October 6th 03 01:24 AM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

That's what the issue is in
this discussion.

Funny, I thought the issue in this discussion was comparing 2 boats. Who knew?

Dionysus Feldman October 6th 03 02:00 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Bob Dimond-

Sorry, Gould, but I don't completely agree. First of all I'm not telling
people to make a crossing in gale force winds. Second a small boat can
handle quite a bit IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MINIMIZE WEATHER ON YOUR BOAT!

df-

So how does one minimize weather on a boat? Say a 24' Sedan cruiser on
Lake Michigan?

Wally--

I was wondering that, too. Maybe he uses an umbrella.

Harry K--

There's a chapter for neophytes like you in Chapman, Wally. It is called
Special Seamanship Techniques. If memory serves, it discusses a number
of ways to reduce the impact of severe weather on you and your boat when
you are at sea.

On a sailboat, for example, you might want to reef the mainsail and
your genny to depower the sail plan.

df--

Thanks Harry.

I didn't notice the entire chapter in Chapman's about reducing weather.
I bought Chapman's for the chapter on how to buy a compass.

Lake Michigan is similar to being at sea, except for the fact that it's
a lake and has very different wave characteristics. And the SeaRay 240
SRV sedan cruiser in question doesn't have much of a sail plan.

Other than that, it was really helpful advice, "Go read about it in a
general text book".

Capt. Frank Hopkins October 6th 03 03:45 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Good question. Perhaps an optional or replacement engine? Upon closer
inspection of the pix it looks as though there is corrosion on the
gimbals housing, and the zincs don't look healthy. If the gimbal has any
corrosion, caveat emptor. That chunk of metal costs about 3500.

I looked at the outdrive and bumped the image's gamma to see shadow.

I dunno dude, the drive looks as rough as 80 grit toilet paper to me.

Have a look at it here.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks/bayliner.html

Capt. Frank

Capt. Frank Hopkins October 6th 03 03:57 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Hi Paul. I agree, the Cierra is a nice boat. But again, we are talking
completely different models. The Capri is Bayliner's entry level boat
whereas the Cierra is their top-of-the-line PC cruiser. I have a
dockmate that has a nice '99 model 28' Cierra. Beautiful, roomy boat,
But when placed alongside my Formula 27 PC, again, we are comparing
apples and oranges.

Once again, I re-re-re-state, Please take a USCG boating safety class.

In any event, look at my website for a closer look at the drive on the
Bayliner in question. I bumped the gamma up a bit to see more detail in
the drive, and it looks like it has corrosion damage to the lower unit.

Capt. Frank Hopkins October 6th 03 04:08 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Hi again Trevor,

I had a closer look at the Bayliner pix, and after bumping the Gamma,
here is what I found.
Corrosion damage.

I could not get a good look at the drive on the Larson, but the pic of
the bayliner shows what to look for in a corrosion damaged drive. Pay
close attention to acne-like round spots. Those indicate serious damage.
The white stuff on the transom could be a sealer to cover up a leaking,
corrosion damaged gimbal assembly. If you are not familiar with
Mercruiser drives, fine someone that is to go shopping with you.

Bob D. October 6th 03 04:14 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

No, I'm referring to my 21' Trophy. The 16' was a capri cuddy.

Should alos note that the winds were NOT 50MPH but comming from the far
shore fifty mile away...

Harry Krause October 6th 03 11:57 PM

"New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Dionysus Feldman wrote:

Bob Dimond-

[...]

Actually, I'm not even sure what the writer meant by the term "minimize
weather." I'm guessing the intent was to imply "minimize the impact of
heavy weather" on a boat under operation.

In that case, I'd still start with Chapman. Almost any large bookstore
will have other books on seamanship.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.