ChrisO

Default water bike recommendation needed

I'm looking for something I can ride on the lake that works the same
muscle group as riding a bike on the road. Basically I want to train
for a bike ride at the lake without having to ride on the roads there.

I've found a couple products out there and was wondering if there were
any opinions on these or other products I should look at.

1. Hydrobike - basically a bike frame mounted on a couple of pontoons,
single gear, I actually rented one of these and found it slower than I
expected. Steering is via a blade mounted on the end of the front
fork.
2. Seacycle Waterbike, more of a recumbant setup, you lean to steer
this one.
3. Shuttle bike, you attach 2 inflatable pontoons to a frame and the
frame gets attached to your bike. Provides all the gearing available
on your bike.

Of course faster is better, but I'm really looking for something I
would enjoy riding for 1 - 2 hours.

thanks...Chris
Brian Nystrom

ChrisO wrote:

[...]

Rowing works the same leg muscles (plus some extra upper body muscles)
and you won't look ridiculous doing it. I'm sure you can find a small
shell with a sliding seat for the same price as one of the water bike
contraptions.

Serge

I agree with Bryan.

As a cyclist I know that the problem is training too much, not too little.
Pedal contraption on the water? I'd rather ride on the rollers instead.

Sculling boat would be ideal solution if you have flat water.

I am trying to get a hand on a surf ski as a cross training between
XC skiing and cycling and appreciate the rest for my legs in a surf ski
on easy days.(I have to do fair amount of swimming though, ha-ha)