BoatBanter.com

-   -   Fiberglass vs plastic (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/13918-fiberglass-vs-plastic.html)

bb May 7th 04 04:13 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

I'm still looking to purchase my first kayak. I'm kinda partial to
the CD Scirocco. I'll no doubt not have enough experience before I
make a purchase to reasonalby tell the difference between a fiberglass
craft and a plastic one as far as performance goes. To me, the price
difference is not that geat. I kinda like the weight difference for
better at taking the abuse of rocks and oyster bars. So, I'd like to
pose a couple of questions to those more experience kayakers:

Just how much difference is there in performance between plastic and
fiberglass? How fragile are the fiberglass kayaks to abrasion that
I'm likely to encounter kayaking in Florida estuaries?

Thanks for any opinions.

bb

Michael Hearn Anna Houpt May 9th 04 02:52 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Fiberglass is usually stiffer than the plastic, and this usually equates
into better performance. Most paddling will do little more than an
occasional scratch on a glass boat. The light weight is a bonus. Unless
you plan to surf frequently on a boulderey beach, choose the glass.

[email protected] May 9th 04 03:15 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

On Fri, 07 May 2004 15:13:26 GMT, bb wrote:

I'm still looking to purchase my first kayak. I'm kinda partial to
the CD Scirocco. I'll no doubt not have enough experience before I
make a purchase to reasonalby tell the difference between a fiberglass
craft and a plastic one as far as performance goes. To me, the price
difference is not that geat. I kinda like the weight difference for
better at taking the abuse of rocks and oyster bars. So, I'd like to
pose a couple of questions to those more experience kayakers:

Just how much difference is there in performance between plastic and
fiberglass? How fragile are the fiberglass kayaks to abrasion that
I'm likely to encounter kayaking in Florida estuaries?

Thanks for any opinions.

bb

Huge performance difference. If money is no object than go glass no
question.

BREWERPAUL May 9th 04 12:56 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Where I paddle (Hudson, Mohawk rivers, Northeast lakes, etc) I often have to
launch from concrete boat ramps or rocky shores, so for me plastic is a better
choice. My Pungo is mightily scarred, but I don't really worry about it the way
I would if I had an expensive glass boat.

******************************
Got wood?
Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair
prices...http://www.Busmanwhistles.com

Alex McGruer May 10th 04 02:49 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

bb wrote in message . ..
I'm still looking to purchase my first kayak. I'm kinda partial to
the CD Scirocco. I'll no doubt not have enough experience before I
make a purchase to reasonalby tell the difference between a fiberglass
craft and a plastic one as far as performance goes. To me, the price
difference is not that geat. I kinda like the weight difference for
better at taking the abuse of rocks and oyster bars. So, I'd like to
pose a couple of questions to those more experience kayakers:

Just how much difference is there in performance between plastic and
fiberglass? How fragile are the fiberglass kayaks to abrasion that
I'm likely to encounter kayaking in Florida estuaries?

Thanks for any opinions.

bb

Scirroco is a fine boat, The Gulf stream is a beauty too.
Like one poster said the performance difference in similar boats
between glass and plastic is quite noticeable.
Plastic scratches much more easily but glass does not like bumps.
Glass can be repaired with reasonable ease, Though my patches are
noticeable.
I own some of each flavour ( Glass and Plastic ) I use them all .
I paddle the plastic Capella most but when I am off on my own I like
the NDK . For speed the NDK has it but the Explorer is a foot and 2
inches longer so that skews things. The NDK Romany is very similar to
the Capella and has comparable rocker; it too is a faster boat than
the Plastic P & H Capella ; but not much.

We have lots of rocky beaches here in Newfoundland. I would start with
a plastic boat if you intend to do a lot of paddling here. If I could
count on a beach or slip most of the time I would go glass.

The only time you will see a speed difference is when you are paddling
with seasoned paddlers that are fast.
When I drop my plastic Capella from the roof rack I hardly swear at
all. I dropped the NDK last week , Glad Mom was not there. The boat
was not hurt.

Eddy Line seames to have come up with a boat that is the best of both
worlds and light as a feather. A friend of mine bought a Night Hauk ,
Now if they made a nice Greenland type craft I would look at it.
Good luck.
If they are close to the same price and you are carefull the glass
boat may do you a lifetime. But plastic can take the odd bang.

Alex Horvath May 27th 04 09:32 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

I have paddled a glass boat and where I had no choice but to land on a
steep rocky beach (with minimal surf), I would get out while the boat
is in the water (you get good at this after a while) and I tie the
boat to a large rock preferably in the water. This way the kayak is in
the water while I unload it. Of course, there is a risk that the rope
slips off the rock while I am not looking and floats away or that I
drop my gear into the water as I'm unloading it. I have heard of
people carrying small anchors but this is a significant amount of
weight.

Anyone else do something similar? This may seem somewhat extreme but a
loaded glass boat on rocks in the surf zone will take quite a beating.

Brian Nystrom May 28th 04 01:02 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Alex Horvath wrote:

I have paddled a glass boat and where I had no choice but to land on a
steep rocky beach (with minimal surf), I would get out while the boat
is in the water (you get good at this after a while) and I tie the
boat to a large rock preferably in the water. This way the kayak is in
the water while I unload it. Of course, there is a risk that the rope
slips off the rock while I am not looking and floats away or that I
drop my gear into the water as I'm unloading it. I have heard of
people carrying small anchors but this is a significant amount of
weight.

Anyone else do something similar? This may seem somewhat extreme but a
loaded glass boat on rocks in the surf zone will take quite a beating.

That sounds like an awful lot of gyrations to go through, plus you risk
soaking or losing gear and possibly losing your boat. More importantly,
you also risk personal injury by making trips back and forth in rocky
water. Just land the thing and drag it up on the rocks. It takes a lot
longer for your body to heal than it does to repair a few gelcoat
scratches. Gelcoat is also a lot cheaper than medical bills.

William R. Watt May 28th 04 04:24 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Alex Horvath ) writes:

Anyone else do something similar? This may seem somewhat extreme but a
loaded glass boat on rocks in the surf zone will take quite a beating.

Yes. It's always better to load and unload the boat in the water. It's
also better if you can get in and out of a small boat with the hull afloat
parallel to the shore.

I've been to a couple of used boat sales, beat up rentals being sold by a
canoe manufacturer. The hulls are badly scratched up. That may not be a
problem for knocking about on your own but if you are on a trip with a
group and their hulls are smooth you are easily paddling 10% more to keep
up. That's like paddling 11 hours to their 10.

BW the boat rental business looks like quite a racket. The boats are
rented and get really beat up, then they are sold for half the original
purchase price. It's not just the renters who beat the boats up. I've
seen employees tossing them about like fire wood. The bottoms of the
hulls I've seen at the sales are criss-crossed with deep gouges - more
than a 10% difference in paddling effort there. :(

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Brian Nystrom May 28th 04 12:20 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

William R. Watt wrote:

That may not be a
problem for knocking about on your own but if you are on a trip with a
group and their hulls are smooth you are easily paddling 10% more to keep
up.

Exactly where did that figure come from? The tests I've seen indicate
that scratched hulls have ~2-5% more drag smooth hulls, with badly
scarred plastic hulls with lots of "hairies" being at the high end. The
difference with fiberglass boats is minuscule.

That's like paddling 11 hours to their 10.

No, it's not like that at all. Even if your 10% figure is correct, it
pertains only to surface friction on the hull. That's only one component
of the total drag that must be overcome by the paddler. Wind resistance
and especially wave making resistance can be very substantial components
of total drag, depending on boat speed and weather conditions.
Realistically, a scratched hull will require you to paddle ~1-2% harder
than a smooth one. Unless you're racing, you'll never notice the difference.

Alex McGruer May 28th 04 01:42 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

(William R. Watt) wrote in message ...
Alex Horvath ) writes:

[...]

10 % on a glass boat would indicate a lot of scratches.
There remains the ugly fact , you are going to have to bring that boat
ashore and sometimes a host of issues will make you follow the wave
ashore and land on a beach. Most rocks will be rounded but it is
still a bump.
10 % I think remains a little high for scratches, Gouges and haugs in
a plastic boat though may excede that .

I buy boats to use , all my boats have a nick , ding, scratch and my
NDK had a large star crack. I deserve every ding and scratch but the
star crack is a mystery to me.
Glass can be fixed, so can plastic but it is not as easy and not as
likely.
Glass is a nicer boat to paddle.

William R. Watt May 28th 04 01:44 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Brian Nystrom ) writes:
William R. Watt wrote:

That may not be a
problem for knocking about on your own but if you are on a trip with a
group and their hulls are smooth you are easily paddling 10% more to keep
up.

Exactly where did that figure come from? The tests I've seen indicate
that scratched hulls have ~2-5% more drag smooth hulls, with badly
scarred plastic hulls with lots of "hairies" being at the high end. The
difference with fiberglass boats is minuscule.

the reference is long gone. it said one season's scratches add 5% to
hull resistance.

That's like paddling 11 hours to their 10.

No, it's not like that at all. Even if your 10% figure is correct, it
pertains only to surface friction on the hull. That's only one component
of the total drag that must be overcome by the paddler. Wind resistance
and especially wave making resistance can be very substantial components
of total drag, depending on boat speed and weather conditions.
Realistically, a scratched hull will require you to paddle ~1-2% harder
than a smooth one. Unless you're racing, you'll never notice the difference.

where does that 1-2% figure come from?

at sustained (cruising) paddling speeds hull resistance is still the
biggest component of total hull drag when comparing identical boats. there
are some numbers in a file on my website under "Boats" on average hull,
wind, and wave resistance, and energy consumption. a paddler can't put out
the power needed to maintain high wave making resistance speeds for any
length of time. it's a concern for racers. your point about wind and wave
resistance is well taken. however, considering the money spent on paddles
to reduce effort, the scratches on the hull matter. I don't think 10% is
out of order in anything less than rough conditions. I was trying to be
conservative. I don't have figures for paddlers but cruising sailors
experince moderate conditions most of the time. Rough conditions most of
the time would pretty well eliminate such passtimes as paddling and
sailing.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt May 28th 04 01:52 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Alex McGruer ) writes:

There remains the ugly fact , you are going to have to bring that boat
ashore and sometimes a host of issues will make you follow the wave
ashore and land on a beach. Most rocks will be rounded but it is
still a bump.

Got me there. All my paddling is on lakes and rivers with no swells
or surf, and in open boats which are easier to get in and out of.
I can see where Kayaks would present special problems.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Michael Daly May 28th 04 04:58 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

On 28-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

at sustained (cruising) paddling speeds hull resistance is still the
biggest component of total hull drag when comparing identical boats. there
are some numbers in a file on my website under "Boats" on average hull,
wind, and wave resistance, and energy consumption. a paddler can't put out
the power needed to maintain high wave making resistance speeds for any
length of time.

Nowhere on your website could I find info to support this. You simply
claim that wave making resistance is not significant at paddling speeds.
For a kayak designed for optimal length at its cruising speed, skin
resistance and wave resistance are roughly equal.

If a paddler is routinely using a kayak under conditions where skin friction
dominates, they'd be better off using a shorter kayak. If they are routinely
pushing against wave-making resistance, they should get a longer kayak.

I don't think 10% is out of order in anything less than rough conditions.

You're still talking thru your hat, Willy. Unless you can cough up a valid
reference, I'll go with Brian's numbers.

Rough conditions most of
the time would pretty well eliminate such passtimes as paddling and
sailing.

You should get out more. Rough conditions are when kayaking gets interesting.
The fact is that kayaks are used in rough conditions (as would be defined by
marine architects) _most_ of the time.

Mike

William R. Watt May 29th 04 12:07 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

"Michael Daly" ) writes:
On 28-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

at sustained (cruising) paddling speeds hull resistance is still the
biggest component of total hull drag when comparing identical boats. there
are some numbers in a file on my website under "Boats" on average hull,
wind, and wave resistance, and energy consumption. a paddler can't put out
the power needed to maintain high wave making resistance speeds for any
length of time.

Nowhere on your website could I find info to support this.

look under Boats, Paddling, first item (Speed, Resistance, Energy).
I'd appreciate seeing more specific data.

You simply
claim that wave making resistance is not significant at paddling speeds.
For a kayak designed for optimal length at its cruising speed, skin
resistance and wave resistance are roughly equal.

I think you mean "wave making resistance". If you have a source for speed and
hull resistance numbers I'd appreciate seeing it. Wind and wave resistance
would be even better.

If a paddler is routinely using a kayak under conditions where skin friction
dominates, they'd be better off using a shorter kayak. If they are routinely
pushing against wave-making resistance, they should get a longer kayak.

Sorry it's not an inverse relation.

I don't think 10% is out of order in anything less than rough conditions.

You're still talking thru your hat, Willy. Unless you can cough up a valid
reference, I'll go with Brian's numbers.

Brian didn't provide any data. You can work it out from the data on my
website. I'd be interested in seeing more precise data than what I have. I
could only find generalizations at the time.

You should get out more. Rough conditions are when kayaking gets interesting.
The fact is that kayaks are used in rough conditions (as would be defined by
marine architects) _most_ of the time.

And where do you get that data, in your dreams?

homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Brian Nystrom May 29th 04 01:12 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

William R. Watt wrote:

Brian Nystrom ) writes:

William R. Watt wrote:

That may not be a
problem for knocking about on your own but if you are on a trip with a
group and their hulls are smooth you are easily paddling 10% more to keep
up.

Exactly where did that figure come from? The tests I've seen indicate
that scratched hulls have ~2-5% more drag smooth hulls, with badly
scarred plastic hulls with lots of "hairies" being at the high end. The
difference with fiberglass boats is minuscule.

the reference is long gone. it said one season's scratches add 5% to
hull resistance.

And how was that determined? What exactly constitutes "one season's
scratches"? Though I don't doubt that you have a source for this
information, I have to wonder about the accuracy of such generalities.
It sounds a lot more like opinion than fact.

That's like paddling 11 hours to their 10.

No, it's not like that at all. Even if your 10% figure is correct, it
pertains only to surface friction on the hull. That's only one component
of the total drag that must be overcome by the paddler. Wind resistance
and especially wave making resistance can be very substantial components
of total drag, depending on boat speed and weather conditions.
Realistically, a scratched hull will require you to paddle ~1-2% harder
than a smooth one. Unless you're racing, you'll never notice the difference.

where does that 1-2% figure come from?

It's roughly half of what the test I saw indicated for hull drag.
Wavemaking resistance is no small factor, even at cruising speed. Add
wind resistance and the effect of scratches becomes even less significant.

at sustained (cruising) paddling speeds hull resistance is still the
biggest component of total hull drag when comparing identical boats.

That's simply not true. For a kayak, suface drag is relatively small.
Kayaks are typically paddled pretty close to their theoretical hull
speed. A typical 17' kayak will have a theoretical hull speed of ~5-5.25
knots and will probably be paddled at ~3.5-4 knots regularly. At least
that's true of my boats. At that speed, wavemaking drag is the major
drag component. One can readily feel the exponential increase in output
necessary to incrementally increase speed.

there
are some numbers in a file on my website under "Boats" on average hull,
wind, and wave resistance, and energy consumption. a paddler can't put out
the power needed to maintain high wave making resistance speeds for any
length of time.

I realize that, but it doesn't mean that wave making resistance isn't
the major component of the total drag.

it's a concern for racers. your point about wind and wave
resistance is well taken. however, considering the money spent on paddles
to reduce effort, the scratches on the hull matter.

IMO, the emphasis on ultralight paddles is misplaced. I get less
fatigued from paddling with a 30 oz. Greenland stick than with 24 oz. Euro.

I don't think 10% is
out of order in anything less than rough conditions. I was trying to be
conservative. I don't have figures for paddlers but cruising sailors
experince moderate conditions most of the time. Rough conditions most of
the time would pretty well eliminate such passtimes as paddling and
sailing.

Are you kidding? Fla****er paddling is boring, unless the point is just
to relax and take in the view. My boats come into their own when the
conditions get a bit rough. Rough water is exhilarating! Wind and waves
are where it's at!

Perhaps that's the difference between kayakers and a canoeists? We
apparently have very different perspectives based on what we do on the
water.

William R. Watt May 29th 04 02:13 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

William R. Watt ) writes:
"Michael Daly" ) writes:
On 28-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

at sustained (cruising) paddling speeds hull resistance is still the
biggest component of total hull drag when comparing identical boats. there
are some numbers in a file on my website under "Boats" on average hull,
wind, and wave resistance, and energy consumption. a paddler can't put out
the power needed to maintain high wave making resistance speeds for any
length of time.

Nowhere on your website could I find info to support this.

look under Boats, Paddling, first item (Speed, Resistance, Energy).
I'd appreciate seeing more specific data.

An average person can sustain 1/20 horsepower. When a canoe or
kayak is powered by 1/20 hp in a dead calm the power is overcomimg
4 pounds of hull friction resistance and 0.05 pounds of hull wave
making resistance. If 10% of the friction resistance is due to
scratches, that's 0.4 lb compared to the 0.05 lb wave making
resistance.

Mike wrote he thinks the friction and wave making resistance would
be equal. For that to happen the paddler would have to be
sustaining 1/5 horsepower, or 4 times as much. The boat would be
going almost twice as fast. Athletes can do that. In short bursts
athletes can produce 1/2 hp.

In "Sea Kayaking" J Dowd's data assumes the paddler sustains 0.03
hp. The discrepency likely is due to a different boat being used
at the same speed. In a 10 knot headwind the wind and resulting
waves are producing 0.01 hp.

If hull scratches increase friction resistance by 10%, the paddler
has to produce 10% more hp to overcome it and keep the boat moving
at the same speed in a dead calm. In a 10 knot headwind the
extra power drops to about 7% of the total paddler output.
More precise data than what I have available could affect the
result.

homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Michael Daly May 29th 04 02:43 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

On 28-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

If a paddler is routinely using a kayak under conditions where skin friction
dominates, they'd be better off using a shorter kayak. If they are routinely
pushing against wave-making resistance, they should get a longer kayak.

Sorry it's not an inverse relation.

??? The more you say about small craft hydrodynamics, the more I realize
how little you understand.

Skin friction increases with length, while wave-making resistance decreases
with length. Minimum total resistance is where the sum of the two is minimum.
For a given displacement, this occurs when the two are roughly equal. This
will also yield the optimum length for a given velocity at that displacement.

If you paddle where skin friction dominates, that means the kayak is too long.
If you paddle where wave making resistance dominates, the kayak is too short.

I don't think 10% is out of order in anything less than rough conditions.

You're still talking thru your hat, Willy. Unless you can cough up a valid
reference, I'll go with Brian's numbers.

Brian didn't provide any data.

He said 2% or so.

You can work it out from the data on my
website. I'd be interested in seeing more precise data than what I have. I
could only find generalizations at the time.

You have no such data that I've seen. Where do you have the data that indicates
how much resistance is due to scratches?

You should get out more. Rough conditions are when kayaking gets interesting.
The fact is that kayaks are used in rough conditions (as would be defined by
marine architects) _most_ of the time.

And where do you get that data, in your dreams?

"The Shape of the Canoe" by John Winters.

Mike

Michael Daly May 29th 04 09:35 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

On 28-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

An average person can sustain 1/20 horsepower. When a canoe or
kayak is powered by 1/20 hp in a dead calm the power is overcomimg
4 pounds of hull friction resistance and 0.05 pounds of hull wave
making resistance.

Where on earth do you get that breakdown? Friction resistance
80 times wave resistance?

How can you make such a claim without any reference to the dimensions
of the kayak or canoe? Are you trying to suggest that my WW kayak
has the same resistance as my sea kayak?

Mike wrote he thinks the friction and wave making resistance would
be equal. For that to happen the paddler would have to be
sustaining 1/5 horsepower, or 4 times as much.

Why? where do you get that number?

Athletes can do that. In short bursts athletes can produce 1/2 hp.

Cyclists can put out those kinds of power levels. However, if you're
not using your legs, horsepower is harder to generate. Elite paddlers
can put out about 0.3 hp. A fit recreational paddler can put out about
0.08 to 0.1 hp.

Mike

William R. Watt May 31st 04 01:02 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

"Michael Daly" ) writes:
On 28-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

Sorry it's not an inverse relation.

??? The more you say about small craft hydrodynamics, the more I realize
how little you understand.

Skin friction increases with length, while wave-making resistance decreases
with length. Minimum total resistance is where the sum of the two is minimum.

Skin friction does not increase monotonically with length. It does
increase monotonically with the product of surface smoothness and wetted
surface area. Wetted surface area in a dead calm is a function of
displacement and hull shape but not a well-defined mathematical function,
and it is complicated by waves. There are quite a few indicators of hull
shape such as length-to-beam ratio, block coefficient, prismatic
coefficient, and girth.

Brian didn't provide any data.

He said 2% or so.

A percentage is not data. A percentage is a calculated number.

You have no such data that I've seen. Where do you have the data that indicates
how much resistance is due to scratches?

And where do you get that data, in your dreams?

"The Shape of the Canoe" by John Winters.

the hull resistance data on my website is from Winters' website. where he
got the data I do not know. at one time he was collaborating with a
university in Australia. the fellow at the university has posted in this
newsgroup. Its been a few years and I can't recall the university. the
"Winters" data is very general. I would like to see data specific to sea
kayaks. the wind and wave resistance data is from a book on sea kayak
cruising. it also appears to me to be pretty general.

you are not basing your arugment on data, but on your impressions.
I am basing my argument on actual data which I admit is pretty general.

I know what you are trying to express, that within a narrow range
there is a local optimum.
homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt May 31st 04 01:12 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

"Michael Daly" ) writes:
On 28-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

An average person can sustain 1/20 horsepower. When a canoe or
kayak is powered by 1/20 hp in a dead calm the power is overcomimg
4 pounds of hull friction resistance and 0.05 pounds of hull wave
making resistance.

Where on earth do you get that breakdown? Friction resistance
80 times wave resistance?

"Winter's" data at hull speed and total resitance equal to 1/20 hp.
ie the data graphed on Winter's web site.

How can you make such a claim without any reference to the dimensions
of the kayak or canoe? Are you trying to suggest that my WW kayak
has the same resistance as my sea kayak?

as I have pointe out a number of times in this discussion that is
precisely the weakness in the data on Winters'w web site I would like to
see refined. DO YOU HAVE THAT DATA?

Mike wrote he thinks the friction and wave making resistance would
be equal. For that to happen the paddler would have to be
sustaining 1/5 horsepower, or 4 times as much.

Why? where do you get that number?

the data on Winters' webiste.

Athletes can do that. In short bursts athletes can produce 1/2 hp.

Cyclists can put out those kinds of power levels. However, if you're
not using your legs, horsepower is harder to generate. Elite paddlers
can put out about 0.3 hp. A fit recreational paddler can put out about
0.08 to 0.1 hp.

according to teh data on Winters' webiste you you have just
destroyed your earlier argument. at less than 1/20 hp the "boat" (canmoe
or kayak or whatever Winters' data represents) is harldy moving at all.

sorry, numbers don't lie. provided the numbers measure what we want and
I'm sure the numbers on Winters' website measure speed and hull resistance
of a paddled boat, although we don't know exaclty which paddled boat.

homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt May 31st 04 01:59 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Here are the data from the graph on the John Winters website.

"knots" is speed through the water in a dead calm,
a knot is 15% more than a mph
"friction" is hull surface friction resistance
"wave" is hull wave making resistance
"total" is the sum of the two kinds of hull resistance
"hp" is the horsepower needed to sustain that speed at that total resistance

knots: 2 2.6 3 3.5 4 4.6 5 5.5 6
lb friction: 2 2.5 2.75 4 4.75 5 7 8 9
lb wave: 0 0 0 .05 0.75 3 7 15 20
lb total: 2 2.5 2.75 4.5 5.5 8 14 23 29
hp: .01 .02 .03 .05 .07 .10 .20 .40 .53

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Michael Daly May 31st 04 04:56 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

On 30-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

Skin friction does not increase monotonically with length. It does
increase monotonically with the product of surface smoothness and wetted
surface area

If surface smoothness is constant, then skin friction increases monotonically
with wetted surface area. Why would you assume that surface smoothness is
variable among kayaks? For a constant displacement, wetted surface area
changes directly with length. Why complicate things?

Winters' website

His website has been gone for quite a while. I have no way to verify your
interpretations of what he wrote there.

I would like to see data specific to sea
kayaks. the wind and wave resistance data is from a book on sea kayak
cruising. it also appears to me to be pretty general.

In his book, he specifically states that there is no significant difference
in the behavior of canoe and kayak hulls. They come in the same range of
lengths and vary only in width. Most of the other parameters, such as block
and prismatic coefficients are in the same ballpark as well.

Most data is from smooth water conditions. There isn't much data on kayaks
in cruising conditions - that gets really complicated from the standpoint of
analysis, since kayaks operate in rough conditions where simple analysis
breaks down. However, it seems like most decent smooth water designs will
perform adequately in rough conditions, while a poor design in smooth
water is poor in rough. Most kayaks that perform well in smooth water but not
in rough suffer from other problems, such as weathercocking and tracking, not
so much from resistance to forward motion.

Mike

Michael Daly May 31st 04 05:31 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

On 30-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

Where on earth do you get that breakdown? Friction resistance
80 times wave resistance?

"Winter's" data at hull speed and total resitance equal to 1/20 hp.
ie the data graphed on Winter's web site.

From your other message:

knots: 2 2.6 3 3.5 4 4.6 5 5.5 6
lb friction: 2 2.5 2.75 4 4.75 5 7 8 9
lb wave: 0 0 0 .05 0.75 3 7 15 20
lb total: 2 2.5 2.75 4.5 5.5 8 14 23 29
hp: .01 .02 .03 .05 .07 .10 .20 .40 .53

Take a look at the data when you get into the 0.1-0.25hp range.
The lower hp is for the fit paddler and the upper is for the serious
competitor. In this range, the skin friction and wave resistance is
of the same order of magnitude [ (3,5), (7,7) ]. The hull is designed
for use in that speed/power range - upwards of 4.6 kt ( 8.5 kph) That's
a bit faster than I can paddle my kayak for an hour.

If a person is routinely paddling at 3-3.5 kt, they could use a shorter
kayak and not get as much skin friction and still not be pushing waves
around much. It would be easier to paddle and more maneouverable to boot.

The problem with your analysis is that 1/20 hp is low for a fit person.
Also, this data is suspect - most kayaks in the Sea Kayaker reviews are
not in this range. For a recent review of the Solstice GT:

Speed 2.0 3.0 4.0 4.5 5.0 6.0 (kt)
Solstice GT 0.96 2.01 3.66 5.31 8.06 14.23 (lb)

As you can see, the data you provide is quite a bit higher than what the
Solstice shows. Here's some mo

http://www.greatlakeskayaker.ca/speedVsResistanceGraphs.htm
(I make no promises whether this web page will show in anything other
than Internet Explorer - sorry, it's an exported Excel spreadsheet page).

Elite paddlers can put out about 0.3 hp. A fit recreational paddler
can put out about 0.08 to 0.1 hp.

according to teh data on Winters' webiste you you have just
destroyed your earlier argument. at less than 1/20 hp the "boat" (canmoe
or kayak or whatever Winters' data represents) is harldy moving at all.

??? 3.5 kt isn't "hardly moving". I'm not sure what earlier argument I
destroyed. You'll have to be more specific.

Mike

William R. Watt May 31st 04 01:09 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

"Michael Daly" ) writes:

..For a constant displacement, wetted surface area
changes directly with length. Why complicate things?

because it's not true

In his book, he specifically states that there is no significant difference
in the behavior of canoe and kayak hulls. They come in the same range of
lengths and vary only in width. Most of the other parameters, such as block
and prismatic coefficients are in the same ballpark as well.

yes, compared to oil tankers, canoes and kayaks are in the same ballpark.
but compared to each other and relative to the low power source, canoes
and kayaks differ in performance. in my experience kayaks are faster than
canoes, their main attraction as far as I can tell. a lot of money goes
into advertising the differences among canoes and kayaks. I would like to
see more precise data. I suspect the subject has been studied by, say,
Soviet sports scientists, but they are not sharing their data.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt May 31st 04 01:17 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

"Michael Daly" ) writes:

Also, this data is suspect - most kayaks in the Sea Kayaker reviews are
not in this range. For a recent review of the Solstice GT:

Speed 2.0 3.0 4.0 4.5 5.0 6.0 (kt)
Solstice GT 0.96 2.01 3.66 5.31 8.06 14.23 (lb)

As you can see, the data you provide is quite a bit higher than what the
Solstice shows. Here's some mo

http://www.greatlakeskayaker.ca/speedVsResistanceGraphs.htm
(I make no promises whether this web page will show in anything other
than Internet Explorer - sorry, it's an exported Excel spreadsheet page).

thanks. I'll take a look.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Michael Daly May 31st 04 03:38 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

On 31-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

..For a constant displacement, wetted surface area
changes directly with length. Why complicate things?

because it's not true

I give up.

I suspect the subject has been studied by, say,
Soviet sports scientists, but they are not sharing their data.

There are lots of studies that have been published on racing canoes
and kayaks (Olympic class), but you'd probably question their relevance
to recreational canoes.

Mike

William R. Watt May 31st 04 09:10 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Winters' current website is www.greenval.com. The graph of resistance vs
speed is gone. He now has resistance vs speed-to-length ratio which is a
way to include length in the graph. From a quick look today it's still not
clear whether the data is for canoes or kayaks. I'll try to get back to
the library and copy some data points, also see if I can copy the
greatlakeskayaker data. It may be a while before I get around to redoing
the calculations with this data. In the meantime the best we have is a 7%
increase in effort due to hull scratches.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Michael Daly May 31st 04 10:53 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

On 31-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

also see if I can copy the greatlakeskayaker data.

That's my website and the data was taken from Sea Kayaker magazine
(Kaper results) or from:

http://www.unold.dk/paddling/articles/kayakvelocity.html

which appears to be from SK's Broze/Taylor results. Kaper is John
Winter's old resistance program and has a factor for plastic kayaks
among other things. It's now a public domain algorithm and John
told me he no longer uses it, since a commercial product (can't
remember the name) is more useful for him.

BTW, the following figure shows what I explained in a previous post
but which you claimed was not correct.

http://www.greenval.com/fig3_1.gif

Mike

Brian Nystrom June 1st 04 12:26 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

William R. Watt wrote:
in my experience kayaks are faster than
canoes, their main attraction as far as I can tell.

While this is certainly what attracts some kayakers, I'd say the main
attractions vs. canoes are the kayaks inherent seaworthiness and it's
ability to handle a broad rain of weather and water conditions with
aplomb. Kayaks make paddling in rough condition not only possible, but
fun. I don't see many canoeists paddling in 3'-4'+ seas or 15-20+ knot
winds (actually, I've never seen any), but it's a blast in a kayak. The
same boat can be used for a quiet, relaxing cruise around an estuary to
snap a few nature photos. Although I've seen photos of canoeists playing
in surf, I've never seen anyone do it, but we do it all the time in kayaks.

Of course, I'm talking about sea kayaks, rather than recreational or
whitewater boats. I'm also leaving out the class of boats like the
Kruger "canoes", which are canoes in name only and have more in common
with kayaks.

William R. Watt June 1st 04 06:56 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

I found what I was looking for at www.greenval.com/winters.html.
Writing about canoe design for frictional resistance John Winter says ...

"A 5% decrese in wetted surface is worth bragging about, but a
single year's scratches and banging can easily double coefficient
of friction from 0.004 on a new fibreglass canoe to 0.008. This
more than offsets the designer's efforts. The cavalier attitude of
most canoeists towards their boats is evidence that a 50%
resistance increase is not often noticed if only because the onset
of its effect is so gradual."

Earlier I wrote in this online discussion that paddling in a group
would require extra effort to keep up with other members who were
in similar boats with smooth hulls. I only assumed a 10% increase
in frictional resistance. Winters implies a 50% increase is not
unusual. I used performance data from Winters' former website. All
Winters data applies to canoes (at one point he mentions a
"typical" 16 foot canoe) and is provided to illustrate the
principles he is writing about. Its not specific to any boat,
particularly not kayaks.

I was kicked off the computer at the public library after an hour,
but not before taking a look at the kayak data provided by Mike
Daly at http://www.greatlakeskayaker.ca/spee...anceGraphs.htm. I
found the graph very interesting. I've copied down the numbers and
would like to replace the resistance in pounds by the effort in
horsepower when I get a free moment. Of the 5 kayaks, the
Endurance 18 and the Arctic Hawk are equivalent and fastest. I
don't know if they are the same length. However the Nordkapp H20
and the Solstice GT are equivalent and second fastest even though
the Nordkapp is 2 ft longer than the Endurance (if I'm
interpreting the names correctly). Up to a speed of 4 knots all
four of these kayaks are equivalent. The two pairs only begin to
diverge at speeds over 4 knots. The remaining kayak, Sonoma, is
the slowest. Its length is unknown. There is an error in the data
for the Sonoma at the fastest speed, revealed by a sudden change
in its graph. The slowest boat is one for which John Winters
suppled the data and I'm sure it is for a canoe, not a kayak, as
all the Winters data I've seen is for canoes.

Even though the boats I currently paddle are only cheap home made
experimental plywood boats I'm careful not to treat them roughly
and get the hulls scratched and gouged. That is why I was so
disgusted to see the condition of the used rental boats offered at
a recent sale here.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt June 1st 04 07:11 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Brian Nystrom ) writes:

While this is certainly what attracts some kayakers, I'd say the main
attractions vs. canoes are the kayaks inherent seaworthiness and it's
ability to handle a broad rain of weather and water conditions with
aplomb.

I'd have to agree that the watertightness of a kayak is its second major
attraction, second only because all kayaks are faster than canoes while
not all kayaks are acquired for watertightness. It would be interesting to
know what proportion of kayak paddlers use spray skirts.

Of course, I'm talking about sea kayaks, rather than recreational or
whitewater boats. I'm also leaving out the class of boats like the
Kruger "canoes", which are canoes in name only and have more in common
with kayaks.

I'm of the opinion that if its paddled with a double bladed paddle, kayak
stlye, then it's a kayak. That includes undecked open "canoes" like the
Rushton Wee Lassie and excludes decked white water and sailing canoes.
It's the paddle, not the deck. One canoe club that TF Jones mentions has
that as a rule in their club races. You can't enter a canoe race with a
kayak paddle. If you want to use a kayak paddle you race with the kayaks.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt June 1st 04 11:28 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Speed VS Horsepower

Here is the data on Mike Daly's website converted into horsepower using a
conversion factor I worked out which gives hp = kt x lb x 0.003072.
I also added the speed in mph using mph = kt x 1.15 for people who
are not used to speed in knots.

Speed
kt mph Endurance Nordcapp Solstice A. Hawk Sonoma Winters
2 2.3 0.006 0.006 0.006 0.006 0.005 0.012
3 3.45 0.019 0.017 0.019 0.018 0.017 0.025
4 4.6 0.044 0.044 0.045 0.044 0.047 0.066
4.5 5.18 0.065 0.073 0.073 0.065 0.096 0.111
5 5.75 0.099 0.124 0.124 0.095 0.179 0.215
6 6.9 0.208 0.265 0.262 0.208 0.266 0.535

comments:

1. 1/20 hp = 0.05 hp which puts an average canoeist (Winters) at about 3.5 mph
and a kayaker at 4.5 mph in a dead calm.

2. an athlete can sustain 1/4 hp = 0.25 hp which puts the athlete
at about 6 mph in a canoe and 7 mph or more in a kayak.

3. a solo paddler can't go 7 mph in a canoe but a canoe can have 2
paddlers and that means more surface friction.

4. to go 7 mph the paddlers in the second fastest pair of kayaks have
to work about 30% harder than the paddlers in the fastest pair of kayaks.

5. it's a shame we don't have the resistance broken down into
friction and wave-making. That would be interesting to examine.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt June 1st 04 11:39 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

wait just a darned minute, are you saying the data you presented is not
test data but is calculated from dimensions using Winter's KAPER model?
that's not data. sorry, it doesn't count as data. it doesn't support your
case. I've used Winters' KAEPER model on one of my own boats for fun btu
it's nto measured data, just calculated numbers. I also calculate numbers
with two hull design programs but they are not the same as measurements
from actual in the water tests.

Michael Daly" ) writes:

That's my website and the data was taken from Sea Kayaker magazine
(Kaper results) or from:

http://www.unold.dk/paddling/articles/kayakvelocity.html

which appears to be from SK's Broze/Taylor results. Kaper is John
Winter's old resistance program and has a factor for plastic kayaks
among other things. It's now a public domain algorithm and John
told me he no longer uses it, since a commercial product (can't
remember the name) is more useful for him.

BTW, the following figure shows what I explained in a previous post
but which you claimed was not correct.

http://www.greenval.com/fig3_1.gif

I've seen it. I'm familiar with it. It does not.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

martins June 2nd 04 12:34 AM

Fiberglass vs plastic

The H20 after the Nordkapps name means "Hatches Two Oval" meaning that both
the front and rear hatches are oval instead of the configuration of the
Nordkapp Jubalee, which had only one (the rear one) hatch oval. Pre 1992 or
93 Nordkapps had only the 7 1/2 inch round hatches

Depending on the year , the Nordkapp ranges from 17 foot 8 inches to about
18 feet

[...]

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt June 2nd 04 02:25 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

expanding on what I typed in haste yesterday ...

William R. Watt ) writes:

...I also calculate numbers
with two hull design programs but they are not the same as measurements
from actual in the water tests.

I wrote a computer program which, like KAPER, accepts dimensions and
calauclates areas, volumes, and other numbers. Unlike KAEPER this program
uses analystical geometry to do its calcuations. My program is only for
flat bottom skiffs. It was inspired by a clever geomertical analysis of
teh dory hull by Barend Migchelsen of Dorval, Quebec who developed an
simple, elegant method of designing and buidling dories based on geometry.
This appreoach is pretty accurate. The program I wrote produces a tabel of
offsets which is the usual way boat hulls are described for computer
analysis and for boatbuiling. However, whe I input a table of offsets from
my program into the two hull design program I use there is quite a
variation in the areas (wetted surface) and volumes (displacement)
displayed by all three programs. The bigger the boat the more they
diverge. From 7% on a 12 ft skiff to 17% on a 20 footer. the
discrepenciews arise from the different assumtions and formuale used by
the different programs, adn by the way the two hull design programs accept
teh data. they both interpolate between stations and the both produce
different numbers depending on which order you type in the stations.

The program I wrote is on my website under Boats and Design. It is not in
the public domain but it is open source. Anybody can use it an modify it
so long as they don't attempt to sell the result.

So what I'm saying is design numbers are only a guide to boatbuilding. To
verify the numbers you have to test the boat and collect data. I've always
assumed that Winters' numbers were test data. I've also assumed his KAEPER
program was verified against test data. Often a scaled down model is
tested in a tank but even then there are assumptions made in the scaling
and testing apparatus. I've seen them explained in wind tunnel tests for
sails as well. Failures result when the design, despite teh best efforts,
is not good, and there are failures in real life, some quite expensive.
I'm sure some canoe and kayak designs are not very good despite the use of
computers.

BTW, the following figure shows what I explained in a previous post
but which you claimed was not correct.

http://www.greenval.com/fig3_1.gif

I've seen it. I'm familiar with it. It does not.

in your previous post you claimed minimal total hull resistance occurs
when the frictional and wave-making resistance are equal. if you'll notice
on the graph the minimal total resistance occurs when the frictional
resistance is about 1.5 lb and the wave-making resistance is 4.5 lb. There
is a local minimum but it's not the simple intuitive tradeoff you've
claimed.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt June 2nd 04 05:24 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Kayaks should be designed around people instead of designing for
isolated boat performance. I don't know of any kayak designers who
do this. Instead of concentrating on hull resistance, designers
could concentrate on paddler horsepower requirement. A low cost,
mass marketed kayak should be designed to suit a range of
horsepowers, paddler weights, and paddler dimensions. A kayak
produced for a more limited market can be designed to suit a
smaller range of horespowers, paddler weights, and paddler
dimensions. An expensive one off kayak can be custom designed to
suit the power, weight, and dimensions of an individual paddler.
It would cost no more to custom design a plywood kayak built with
computer cut panels than to design a mass produced plywood kayak
built with computer cut panels. The design ranges should be listed
in the sales information for each model of kayak. Design
performance graphs could be included, and for some boats actual
test data plotted. Such an approach to designing would answer the
buyer's perrenial question "which kayak is right for me?". The
approach is particulary appropriate for kayaks because they are
are primarily transporters of people using the person's own power
resources for propulsion. The cost of the design is small compared
to the cost of materials, labour, distribution, marketing, and
sales. It would not cos much to do a more complete job of the design
and provide better information for the buyer.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Brian Nystrom June 3rd 04 01:16 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

William R. Watt wrote:

Kayaks should be designed around people instead of designing for
isolated boat performance. I don't know of any kayak designers who
do this. Instead of concentrating on hull resistance, designers
could concentrate on paddler horsepower requirement. A low cost,
mass marketed kayak should be designed to suit a range of
horsepowers, paddler weights, and paddler dimensions. A kayak
produced for a more limited market can be designed to suit a
smaller range of horespowers, paddler weights, and paddler
dimensions.

That's exactly what the boats currently on the market do, it's just not
expressed in terms of horsepower, since the average paddler wouldn't
have a clue as to what that means.

An expensive one off kayak can be custom designed to
suit the power, weight, and dimensions of an individual paddler.

OK. One can build a custom boat and there are companies that will do so.

It would cost no more to custom design a plywood kayak built with
computer cut panels than to design a mass produced plywood kayak
built with computer cut panels.

How do you figure that? The most efficient hulls (least wetted surface
for a given displacement) are rounded in shape, which cannot be built
from flat panels. The cost to produce a mold for a one-off design is
prohibitive. One could have a boat custom designed and strip built, but
how many people are going to pay in excess of $5000 for a kayak?

The design ranges should be listed
in the sales information for each model of kayak. Design
performance graphs could be included, and for some boats actual
test data plotted.

To what end? This information is often available for racing boats -
where the paddler actually cares about such things - but do you honestly
think that the average recreational or touring paddler would have any
interest in this whatsoever? I'll bet most of them don't even read the
owner's manual, let alone a bunch of technical data that they don't
understand.

Such an approach to designing would answer the
buyer's perrenial question "which kayak is right for me?".

Not if they don't understand the information. Most won't and they're not
going to be willing to learn about hydrodynamics in order to do so.

The
approach is particulary appropriate for kayaks because they are
are primarily transporters of people using the person's own power
resources for propulsion. The cost of the design is small compared
to the cost of materials, labour, distribution, marketing, and
sales. It would not cos much to do a more complete job of the design
and provide better information for the buyer.

Perhaps so, but whatever money it did cost would be largely wasted,
since most paddlers are more interested in the color of their boat than
performance graphs. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of
kayaks are purchased based on:

- Impulse. One sees a cheap rec boat at one of the Marts or wholesale
clubs and buys it

- Recommendations of a salesman. One goes to a sporting goods store or a
local kayak dealer and buys what they suggest.

- Recommendations of friends. One speaks with friends who are paddlers
and takes their advice.

- What's available in the area. Not all boats have dealers in every
area. Locally made products or those carried by local dealers will
predominate, regardless of whether they're the best boats for specific
paddlers. Few people will special order a boat and pay to have it
shipped to them. While there are a few niche manufacturers that cater to
this market, I'll wager that their combined annual output is less than
2000 boats out of a market of over 300,000.

While you and I and some others here may care about performance data,
it's pretty obvious that most kayak owners don't and never will.

William R. Watt June 3rd 04 01:52 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Brian Nystrom ) writes:

It would cost no more to custom design a plywood kayak built with
computer cut panels than to design a mass produced plywood kayak
built with computer cut panels.

How do you figure that?

companies like Chesapeke(?) Light Craft and Pygmy Boats sell plywood boats
and kits make from computer cut panels. people buy the boats or they
can assemble the kits themselves and save a lot of money.

... The most efficient hulls (least wetted surface
for a given displacement) are rounded in shape, which cannot be built
from flat panels. The cost to produce a mold for a one-off design is
prohibitive. One could have a boat custom designed and strip built, but
how many people are going to pay in excess of $5000 for a kayak?

yes, avoiding moulds for building resin boats one off was my point.
you can custom design and build a plywood or a "stripper" boat cheaper.

as for the preformance of flat panel (hard chine) hulls its actually the
turbulence at the chines which creates more drag at higher speeds compared
to smooth chined hulls. the wetted surface vs wave-making again.

some places you read about wetted surface vs wave-making. other places
its wetted surface vs residual resistance, where residual resistance is
any kind of drag that's not surface friction and includes drag due to
wave-making, poor tracking, hard chines, etc.

Such an approach to designing would answer the
buyer's perrenial question "which kayak is right for me?".

Not if they don't understand the information. Most won't and they're not
going to be willing to learn about hydrodynamics in order to do so.

all part of the education of the paddling public.

I agree with everything you wrote below about the motivation to
buy a kayak but when it comes to the actual purchase people do ask about
which kayak is best for them, likely because they will be spending so much
money on the boat and accessories.

I think people can relate to how much power it should take a person of a
given weight to get the boat to go a certain speed than to how many pounds
of resitance the boat should have at a that speed, especially when you
tell them how much power an average person can sustain paddling. I also
think people could relate better to how tall they should be or how much
they should weigh for a given kayak than just to say "for light people" as
the brochures usually do. The data could be on a website rather than print
a more costly booklet to replace the brochure. All of thse numbers should
be avialable from desingers now, just restate and pass along to buyers.

While you and I and some others here may care about performance data,
it's pretty obvious that most kayak owners don't and never will.

I've actually seen a lot of queries about "what kayak is right for me" and
I suspect its because of the high cost of the boats which makes people stop
and think. Kayaks and canoes cost more than bikes, skis, and skateboards.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

martins June 3rd 04 03:53 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

Hi Brian
you forgot about the seat thing. After the sales talk ends, the final
purchase many times is determined (for the first time buyer) by the way the
seat fits. I see tons of boats bought and sold , not so much by the way they
handle, as by the way the seat fits. Seems like only a small amount of
people will plunk down their money, take the boat home, rip out an
uncomfortable seat and replace it with something that works for them (then
drill a hole for the bilge water exit fitting/ mount a foot pump or a C50 or
an electric of some sort such as a waterbuster)

best wishes
Roy

John Fereira June 3rd 04 11:07 PM

Fiberglass vs plastic

(William R. Watt) wrote in
:

Brian Nystrom ) writes:

It would cost no more to custom design a plywood kayak built with
computer cut panels than to design a mass produced plywood kayak
built with computer cut panels.

How do you figure that?

companies like Chesapeke(?) Light Craft and Pygmy Boats sell plywood
boats and kits make from computer cut panels. people buy the boats or
they can assemble the kits themselves and save a lot of money.

Both CLC and Pygmy offer a line of designs that one can build either from
computer cut panels or from a set of plans and cut the panels according to
the plans. They don't offer custom designs. If for example, someone wanted
a CLC Northbay, but wanted it 21" wide instead of 20" and 17'6" long instead
of 18'6" long the only way they'd be able to do that is take the standard
set of plans, modify them, then cut the panels according to the modified
plans. CLC isn't going to provide a modified set of plans, nor would they
provide computer cut panels for a custom designed Northbay. We'll, they
might, but at a considerably higher price than what one would pay for a
standard CLC Northbay.

Even for the standard models, while the plans + materials or a kit costs
less than a similarly designed composite boat, when one adds in the cost of
tools necessary to build it, extras like varnish, and the cost of labor, I'm
not sure that in the end one will save "a lot of money".
]

... The most efficient hulls (least wetted surface
for a given displacement) are rounded in shape, which cannot be built
from flat panels. The cost to produce a mold for a one-off design is
prohibitive. One could have a boat custom designed and strip built,
but how many people are going to pay in excess of $5000 for a kayak?

yes, avoiding moulds for building resin boats one off was my point.
you can custom design and build a plywood or a "stripper" boat cheaper.

While many people can and do build plywood or stripper boats (I've built one
of each) most kayakers don't build their own boats. No matter what boat
anyone chooses to own there are trade-offs. Many don't have the space or
woodworking skills (or at least they think they don't) to build their own.
Many would rather pay the extra cost to have a boat built for them rather
than spend the time to do it themselves. In that case, they can buy a boat
built from a mold or have something custom built (to the tune of $5000+ for
a cedar stripper as Brian mentioned).

For many, the most efficient hull for flat out forward speed performance
might not be desirable. An efficient hull optomized for higher speeds is
going to have some trade offs in manoeveribility and stability. While there
are many kayakers for which a highly efficient hull optomized for paddling
at high speeds for long distances is very important, I would guess that most
kayakers want a boat does other things efficiently as well.

For example, one of the most popular production boats on the market is the
NDK Romany. There are certainly faster boats available, but the Romany is
"fast enough", is fairly manoeverable, handles rough water well, and is
constructed strong enough that it can handle a variety of paddling
environments.
Such an approach to designing would answer the buyer's perrenial
question "which kayak is right for me?".

Not if they don't understand the information. Most won't and they're
not going to be willing to learn about hydrodynamics in order to do
so.

all part of the education of the paddling public.

I would imagine that most of the paddling public isn't really interested in
hydrodynamics. It's a lot easier to go out, try a few boats, and buy the
one that fits their needs the best.

I think people can relate to how much power it should take a person of
a given weight to get the boat to go a certain speed than to how many
pounds of resitance the boat should have at a that speed, especially
when you tell them how much power an average person can sustain
paddling.

If paddlers were only concerned about paddling at a high speed for long
distances you might have a point, but paddling is much more than that.

I also think people could relate better to how tall they
should be or how much they should weigh for a given kayak than just to
say "for light people" as the brochures usually do.

While there are some that will buy a kayak based on the stats or brochure
(and the appearance of the boat), pretty much every paddler with experience
will recommend that one actually sit in a paddle a boat before buying it.
It doesn't take a brochure to tell me that a boat is too small if the
cockpit is so tight that it cuts off circulation to my legs.

I've actually seen a lot of queries about "what kayak is right for me"
and I suspect its because of the high cost of the boats which makes
people stop and think.

That question is typically asked by people that have very little experience
in kayaks, and is often accompanied with little addtional data that would
help answer the question. I've answered the question many times, and
usually recommended several models with the suggestion to try as many as
possible and decide for themselves what kayak is right for them.

Kayaks and canoes cost more than bikes, skis,
and skateboards.

I don't know what a skateboard costs but it's certainly possible to spend
more a bicycle or snow skis than on a kayak.