mike

Default historic NY state club facing eviction and bulldozing

One of the oldest canoe clubs on the USA mainland is facing eviction
by Westchester County in the State of New York. The eviction notice
came coincidently soon after election day and in the dead of winter.
In the warmer weather we could muster up a flotilla of boats for a
protest, now I am hoping for the help of the canoe world.
Westchester County has served the Yonkers Paddling and Rowing Club a
501C3 not for profit an eviction notice for December 31, 2003. The
clubhouse has been at this location for over 70 years. The Yonkers
Canoe Club which has been in continuous existence since 1886 was the
builder and founder of the clubhouse on the Hudson river in the state
of New York.
The County of Westchester plans to bulldoze the historic clubhouse
and erect an esplanade they say, but I believe they plan on extending
their sewage treatment plant.
This clubhouse was home to the 1948 Olympic gold medal canoeist
Stephen Macknowski & Stephan Lysack , they built the Canadian double
canoe they competed in at this clubhouse.
The clubhouse has currently been home to sea kayakers and outrigger
canoe paddlers and has over 100 active members

The club has been very active in the local community hosting open
houses, free kayak demonstrations and tryouts, boat building
workshops, sponsored and organized fund-raising swims for local
charities and has been working with the YMCA teaching neighborhood
kids canoe and kayak fundamentals and safety .

local paddlers have written many letters to Westchester County
Executive Andy Spano and local legislators requesting to stop this
eviction. The letter we received from the county today states that
the county is still planning on evicting us and demolishing the
clubhouse and has closed the door on any negotiations with legislators
and the mayor of yonkers who supports our fight to stay in our present
location.

This action is in violation of Westchester County open space policy
http://www.westchestergov.com/planni...s/ospolicy.htm
And New York State coastal use policy .
http://www.dos.state.ny.us/cstl/poli...licy2.html#top

it would be great if paddlers around the world could send a note to
Governor Pataki and a US senators supporting us in our fight to
remain a part of the waterfront of the City of Yonkers. A historic
canoe club should remain an integral part of any waterfront
redevelopment.
Thank you
mike pidel
addresses are as follows..