Default Scanklia gets stuffed

On 7/1/2011 1:15 AM, Canuck57 wrote:
On 30/06/2011 10:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:00:56 -0600,
wrote:

On 30/06/2011 7:03 PM, jps wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:49:21 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:01:15 -0700, wrote:

Beautiful...

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia exercised a rarely used power
last fall to let Philip Morris USA and three other big tobacco
companies delay making multimillion-dollar payments for a program to
help people quit smoking.

the right has a myth that if the rich are powerful they'll take care
of everyone and no one needs any rights at all.

Benevolent dictators sometimes work but there's no such thing as a
benevolent ruling class.

Tend to agree with that. Because some group, be they lazy, corrupt or
whatever will have resentment towards the leader. It is impossible to
please all the people all the time.

If a leadr tries to please all the pople all the time, it results in
bankrupcy and collapse of the system. Hey, if Obama paid my mortgage,
gas, food etc. I might do like everyone else and sit on my ass. In
which case who would produce stuff?

Give us a break. You can't qualify for a mortgage.

Might take me a few hours more than some, but I could. See, I haven't
owed anybody money since the very early 90's.

You can't get rich by owing others for your money.

I wonder if her daddy bought her house for her outright or just put
enough equity into it to make a mortgage affordable for her.

On 7/1/11 12:29 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:53:43 -0600,
wrote:

On 30/06/2011 1:25 PM, jps wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:14:14 -0400,
wrote:

On 6/30/11 1:01 PM, jps wrote:

Beautiful...

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia exercised a rarely used power
last fall to let Philip Morris USA and three other big tobacco
companies delay making multimillion-dollar payments for a program to
help people quit smoking.

Scalia, a cigarette smoker himself, justified acting on his own by
predicting that at least three other justices would see things his way
and want to hear the case, and that the high court then would probably
strike down the expensive judgment against the companies.

This week, the court said he was wrong about that.

On a court that almost always acts as a group, Scalia singlehandedly
blocked a state court order requiring the tobacco companies to pay
$270 million to start a smoking cessation program in Louisiana. The
payment was ordered as part of a class-action lawsuit that Louisiana
smokers filed in 1996. They won a jury verdict seven years ago.

Scalia said in September that the companies met a tough standard to
justify the Supreme Court's intervention.

"I think it reasonably probable that four justices will vote to grant
certiorari," Scalia said, using the legal term to describe the way the
court decides to hear most appeals, "and significantly possible that
the judgment below will be reversed."

Not only did the justices say Monday they were leaving the state court
order in place, there were not even four votes to hear the companies'
full appeal. And the court provided no explanation of its action.

Scalia said through a court spokeswoman that he also had no comment on
the matter.

Robert Peck, the Washington-based lawyer representing the Louisiana
smokers at the Supreme Court, recalled thinking Scalia had made
unwarranted assumptions about the case.

"I was really rather surprised he would issue the stay," Peck said of
Scalia's order blocking the judgment from taking effect.

The case went to Scalia because he oversees the 5th Circuit, which
includes Louisiana.

Justices have the authority to act on their own to issue an order that
blocks another court's decision from taking effect, often in cases
that are being appealed to the high court.

But in recent years they rarely have done so. The last time a justice
acted alone in similar circumstances was in 2006, when Justice Anthony
Kennedy blocked a court order to remove a giant cross from a public
park in San Diego while the matter remained under appeal. The cross
case still is working its way through the courts.

Thomas Goldstein, a Washington lawyer and close observer of the court,
said: "This was a very rare and unusually assertive ruling by a single
justice. The later briefing in the case seems to have persuaded the
court, and maybe even Scalia himself, not to get involved."

In issuing his order, Scalia noted national concern over the abuse of
class-action lawsuits in state courts and raised concerns about the
companies' legal rights.

He said that without delaying payment, the companies might not be able
to recover all their money if they ended up winning in the Supreme
Court. The other companies in the case are Brown and Williamson
Holdings Inc., R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. and Lorillard Tobacco Co.

A Louisiana appeals court had a different take on the subject of
delay, noting that the plaintiffs are aging and dying at a significant
rate.

One of the two named plaintiffs, Gloria Scott, was diagnosed with lung
cancer in 2000 and died in 2006.

Scalia and Thomas should have been tossed from the Court years ago. The
current reports about Thomas' bribes and financial shenanigans ought to
result in some sort of formal inquiry, at least.

All the more reason the Dems need to take back the house, since any
inquiry into the justices is initiated there. Although the dems have
exhibited no taste for righting wrongs or having the balls to stand up
to the sort of bullying that comes naturally to thugs.

Hey fleabagger, dimwits are not going to control Congress any time soon.
In fact, Obama will be long gone when that happens. Lame duck idiot
president accusing Republicans of screwing up the budget, when the
budget Obama operates on is Obama and Debtorcrats.

Obama seems to think he has a right to arbitrarily in-debt your grand
kids. Which for you selfish fleabaggers does not seem to mater but for
decent people it does.

You don't really understand the concept "Lame Duck" do you. You're
incredibly stupid.

It's just amazing how many terms Canuck uses that he just doesn't
understand. Makes you wonder if he got past the 6th grade.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing

wrote:

On 30/06/2011 7:03 PM, jps wrote:
[...]

So, the answer is no, you can't get one.

wrote:

On 30/06/2011 7:03 PM, jps wrote:
[...]

My guess, a trailer park or low-income dump.

In the past defumer said she had lots of debt, probably done bankruptcy
by now. Being a fleabagger, excessive debt is considered a right thing
to do.

--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.
------

On 7/1/11 1:23 PM, Canuck57 wrote:
er.

My guess, a trailer park or low-income dump.

You typically have all of your facts wrong, so your guesses have to be
even less accurate.

You really shouldn't post on political or financial issues. Every time
you post, you demonstrate you know nothing about either. You're no
smarter than Ingersoll, the other political moron here.

On 01/07/2011 10:49 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:15:50 -0600,
wrote:

wrote:

On 30/06/2011 7:03 PM, jps wrote:
[...]

Something you will never understand, some people don't need credit
because they are solvent.

On 7/1/11 1:32 PM, Canuck57 wrote:
On 01/07/2011 10:49 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:15:50 -0600,
wrote:

wrote:

On 30/06/2011 7:03 PM, jps wrote:
[...]

Solvent...yet another word whose meaning is unknown to you.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:32:33 -0600, Canuck57
wrote:

On 01/07/2011 10:49 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:15:50 -0600,
wrote:

wrote:

On 30/06/2011 7:03 PM, jps wrote:
[...]

Yes, some people don't need credit. Some people do. Other people, like
yourself, need credit, aren't solvent, and can't get credit.

"Might take me a few hours more than some...." Uh huh.

On 01/07/2011 11:48 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:32:33 -0600,
wrote:

On 01/07/2011 10:49 AM,
wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:15:50 -0600,
wrote:

wrote:

On 30/06/2011 7:03 PM, jps wrote:
[...]

Hey, if you haven't borrowed money for 20 years, and if you have more
cash in an account than you want to borrow...there might be some questions.

But I would bet $100K I could borrow more than you. Just put the cash
in escrow first, I will follow. Winner takes both $100k lots.

--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.
------
In Debt We Trust!
-- Obama and the democrats, world record in debt incursion.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:55:45 -0600, Canuck57
wrote:

On 01/07/2011 11:48 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:32:33 -0600,
wrote:

On 01/07/2011 10:49 AM,
wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:15:50 -0600,
wrote:

wrote:

On 30/06/2011 7:03 PM, jps wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm sure they would question you. Mostly, they would question
your sanity if you applied for a mortgage. The banker would have a
good laugh I'm sure.

Feel free to try. After you. When it's confirmed, I'll put in $200K
with winner take all.