Te Canaille

Default Trip Report - Grinningly Determined

nice report. Sorry, I''m not among the paddling elite who all probably all know where Wye Island is located ?
For us unwashed masses in the hinterlands, what state is this or country if applicable ?

"Mike McCrea" wrote in message om...
Wye Island Regatta (12.6 miles around Wye Island)
Mike McCrea/Brian Sill - OC2 (2:26:04 finish)
Dave W. - OC1 (2:36.27 finish)
Ebet Chee - K1 (2:46:24 finish)
Laura Hollingsworth/Loadra Torres - K2 (3:05.48...and 60/100th's
finish)

And a cast of hundreds of others, possibly including other members of
the select Duckhead Racing Association - see page 34 of Wye Island
Regatta XI program. Other Duckhead finish times posted when available.
Dan...Lindsey...?

With race partner Tyler hors de combat due to a broken clavicle I
enlisted my bowman of old Brian as partner and outfitted the Malecite
in full IQ glory as a tandem equipped entry, complete with lash in
system, D-rings, foot brace, bow spray shield and belly cover, center
flotation and perfectly trimmed seat positions. Darned pretty boat all
IQ'ed up; enough so to draw comment and interest from folks before,
during and after the race.

During the race one tandem kayak team we encountered (Ok...were passed
by) admitted hefting the Malecite and admiring the IQ accessories when
the boat was unattended at the launch, and the "Mad" in the Mad River
logo drew repeated queries from other racers, mostly along the
mad-angry or mad-crazy lines. I told them it must be mad-crazy because
we were considering going around again clockwise after we finished.
Maybe next year. I'll bet a repeat circuit would be a first for the
regatta, although hanging around after the race showing off the IQ
system was fun too. I especially enjoyed one gentleman who remarked
that he'd read a good review of Mad River's new gunwale system in
Paddler.

We undoubted could have gone around again; Duckhead racing speed being
at ¾ of what we might manage full out. While we didn't stop paddling
for the usual eddy raft-up or disembarked leg stretcher, we didn't
exactly burn out at the finish line either.

I was pleased to see a large portion of other boats doing the same.
The serious hut-hut-hut and stroke counters soon disappeared, grimly
determined in the distance, and the grinningly determined pleasure
cruisers we passed or were passed by all shared a laugh or bit of
conversation.

Brain and I slowly closed on a hardworking lap strake dory over the
first third of the race. When we finally drew alongside the solo
oarsman cheerfully asked "Are you gonna make your move?" and we
explained that the small brass cannon swivel-mounted on his bow made
us hesitant. He assured us that it didn't matter, as his powder was
wet, and we slowly took the lead. I'm sure he was glad for the change
of view once we had passed, having been subjected to 4 or 5 miles of
Brian and I as the sole blemish on his rearward scenic view.

Laura and Loandra meanwhile, having covered the category of visual
oddity by paddling the antique Sockeye, turned to the auditory portion
of their race-as-performance-art piece, running through a medley of
Disney songs, as well as replacing the traditional hut-hut-hut with
the two and three cadence chants of "Penis...penis" and "Perky
breast...perky breast...perky breast". It's no wonder so many boats
caught and passed them; if I heard that lyrical chant in the distance
I'd hurry along too! From Disney to dissolute, JHU girls span the
quite a range. I believe there may be a Duckhead Award for that
performance come Christmas.

By race's end L&L were renown throughout the regatta as "The Singing
Girls", AKA "The Banana Boat". They could have finished faster, but
Loandra was determined to plot their exact position by frequently
consulting the map. Map navigation is of course a task best
accomplished while not actually paddling. Bringing a GPS could be
worth an easy 10 minutes next year for Team Singing Girls.

Even with this cartographic challenge it appears from the early
results that the Sockeye again finished first in class, Women's Double
Kayak. And again, like last year, also last in class. It sure helps to
be the only entry or only finisher in class. Hakuna matata, Little
Mermaids. Next year's time to beat - 2:55.52 (and no hundredths) .
That's the Sockeye record.

Brian and I finally caught up with Dave in the Voyageur, although it
took us the last 2 miles to close an awfully small gap. This was
especially maddening because Brian and I stroked ceaselessly while
Dave occasionally stopped paddling to take a drink or scratch his
nether regions. Damned but those fast Wenonah boats are hard to catch.

The weather was perfect. Cool, cloudy and occasionally rainy beats
hot, sunny and humid any day. We especially enjoyed the rain since the
IQ bow and belly covers shed nearly all the water off the Malecite,
not to mention all the blade drippings. We wondered about the
efficiency of a couple of lightweight built-for-speed Jensen and
Savage River boats; on a rainy such race day I believe I'd sacrifice
the extra weight of an outwale and spray cover to avoid sloshing
around in an eighteen foot water trough.

Paddling the fully dressed Malecite with two 9' double blades combined
for continual confusion however. At both the starting line and finish
line we were a bit of a mystery, being mistaken for a K2 oddity more
than once. And our custom nine-foot canoeing double blade paddles drew
post race attention as well.

After the race even the grimly determined racers turned grinningly
determined. Grinningly determined to find someone with a cooler of
beer. The Duckhead Racing Association may not be noted for their
blazing speed, but they are guaranteed to have post-race libations
fully covered.

Lessons learned from this year's race:

*Bah on gloves. This was the first time I've worn gloves outside of
winter paddling. And the first time I've gotten a blister atop a
paddling callus.

*Bah on loading tandem kayaks atop the van using a step ladder. Maybe
we should have gone around the course again clockwise; I might have
avoided falling off (and then onto) the ladder. Fortunately my
cat-like reflexes allowed me to break my fall, using only my ankle,
knee and elbow. Pass the Advil and call me Festus for the next few
days.

*If you plan to park hundreds of boat laden vehicles and trailers in a
field on a rainy day make sure to have a couple of bales of straw to
spread over the mammoth mud hole at the entrance. Next year we'll
bring the towing cable and chain from the truck.

*Lastly, speaking of next year, maybe we'll bring an even faster boat
and the same grinning determination. The Duckhead Racing Association
record is now 2:26:04. I almost wish I hadn't traded away that Sawyer
Saber.

Te Canaille

Mike :

Thanks, sounds like fun.

John

"Te Canaille" wrote in message news:9zl9b.55065$uh6.52029@lakeread05...
nice report. Sorry, I''m not among the paddling elite who all probably all know where Wye Island is located ?
For us unwashed masses in the hinterlands, what state is this or country if applicable ?

Te,

The Wye Island Regatta is put on by the Annapolis Rowing Club as a
circumnavigation of Wye Island and is open to any human-powered boat.
Wye Island is on the eastern shore of Maryland where the Wye River(s)
empty into the Cheaspeake Bay

As such an "open" race it draws a wonderful variety of boats. Lots of
8 and 4 person shells, twos and singles as well, canoes and kayaks and
outriggers and guideboats and dories and wherries and gigs and sea
cycles. Just checking out the boat entries is half the fun.

Link to Wye Island Regatta:

http://www.annapolisrowingclub.com/wyeisland.htm