Default Spectacular Capsize Video on San Francisco Bay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjwY6O2zE0E

On Jun 14, 10:10*pm, Wayne B wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjwY6O2zE0E

This has been all over the news.

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:23:46 -0700 (PDT), North Star
wrote:

On Jun 14, 10:10*pm, Wayne B wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjwY6O2zE0E

This has been all over the news.

Perhaps but I'm living on a boat this summer and getting most of my
news from the internet.

I am truly amazed that the mast did not break in that high speed
pitchpole.

wrote:

On Jun 14, 10:10 pm, Wayne B wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjwY6O2zE0E

This has been all over the news.

Perhaps but I'm living on a boat this summer and getting most of my
news from the internet.

I am truly amazed that the mast did not break in that high speed
pitchpole.

Reply:
These are the prototype boats. Local paper had it on the front page this
morning with the story. would be fun to go watch them, but the boat is in
the paint shop for a repaint, so no boat to go watch. The America's Cup
boats will be 72'.

In article ,
says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjwY6O2zE0E

Looks like the main had a problem. Did the Sun, I mean Oracle server
encounter an error and forget to unlock the sail?

wrote:
On Jun 14, 10:10 pm, Wayne B wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjwY6O2zE0E

This has been all over the news.

Perhaps but I'm living on a boat this summer and getting most of my
news from the internet.

I am truly amazed that the mast did not break in that high speed
pitchpole.

Reply:
These are the prototype boats. *Local paper had it on the front page this
morning with the story. *would be fun to go watch them, but the boat is in
the paint shop for a repaint, so no boat to go watch. *The America's Cup
boats will be 72'.

It is interestng though. The sail is rigid. Larry Ellison is
involved in it. Must have been moving pretty fast to flip forward
like that. Looks like the tips of the sponsons got stuffed in a wave
and that extra resistance was enough to flip it forward. Boat is
probably ridiculously light for it's size. Wonder how they will fix
that problem without adding weight. Move the main mast back maybe?

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 05:12:44 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

Wonder how they will fix
that problem without adding weight.

Good question that I'd been thinking about also. Possibly some sort
of lifting strakes/foils near the bow ?? I believe that some pontoon
boats do something like that.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:08:34 -0400, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjwY6O2zE0E

Looks like the main had a problem. Did the Sun, I mean Oracle server
encounter an error and forget to unlock the sail?

I believe a crew member actually fell through the mainsail, punching a
hole in it. Watch the video closely mid-way through the pitchpole.

On Jun 15, 9:00*am, Wayne B wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:08:34 -0400, BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjwY6O2zE0E

Looks like the main had a problem. Did the Sun, I mean Oracle server
encounter an error and forget to unlock the sail?

I believe a crew member actually fell through the mainsail, punching a
hole in it. *Watch the video closely mid-way through the pitchpole.

Yep. Probably some thin carbon fiber or something. Ellison has
barrels of money.

wrote:
Wonder how they will fix
that problem without adding weight.

Good question that I'd been thinking about also. * Possibly some sort
of lifting strakes/foils near the bow ?? *I believe that some pontoon
boats do something like that.

I think with or without lifting you have to be able to handle the nose
getting stuffed. It's going to happen. As I watch the vedio more it
sort of looks like they might have been trying to turn to the left as
well and may be that got them into trouble. Be interesting to see
what the full size version looks like.

These racing sail boats have become nothing but racing boats. Used to
be they were sort of real sailboats as well. Guess you can say the
same thing about power.