Brian Nystrom

Default It's time to fight back

For those of you who are as tired of the whacko's ranting as I am, it's
time we went on the offensive and hit him where it hurts, in the
pocketbook. I'm be sending excerpts of his latest rantings to companies
that do business with him. If we combine our efforts, we should be able
to generate a pretty comprehensive list of the companies involved. Just
off the top of my head, I can think of two prominent ones:

- Voyageur manufactures his stuff and sells their own version of them
(www.voyageur-gear.com)
- Feathercraft sells his stuff (www.feathercraft.com) and seemed
genuinely concerned when I spoke to them previously.

These are both well respected companies and I don't think it should be
too difficult to convince them that it's not a good idea to continue
doing business with this lunatic.

It would also be a good idea to contact the ACA (www.acanet.org), the
Trade Association of PaddleSports (www.gopaddle.org) and the Outdoor
Industry Association (www.outdoorindustry.org). They have the legal
resources to do something about this nonsense.

I realize that this will just feed his paranoia and his delusions of
grandeur and influence, but it's time he was dealt with.

--
Regards

Brian

John Kuthe

Brian Nystrom wrote:
[a bunch of angry albeit sensical stuff]

Where has the offender been pooping lately? I read RBP regularly, and
haven't noticed him pooping her nearly as much as others pooping in
reaction.

--
John Kuthe,
1st rule of Govt: protect people from Govt
Tchswoods

Brian Nystrom types

For those of you who are as tired of the whacko's ranting as I am... snip

A few observations:

The author's invective use of "murders" and the assertion that 1000's of people
(children) are "killed" by an "industry" is obviously designed to provoke
emotional responses from the non paddling public as well as from persons
involved in the sport.

Are any of his figures correct?
For example:
Exactly how many deaths per year occur in/around kayaks/canoes?

How many are drownings vs. hypothermia vs. other causes? (I.e. head injury)

How many involve the use/non use of helmets (where appropriate) and PFDs

What about the role of alcohol or other recreational chemicals?

What about the lack if judgment (Attempting to paddle waters that are beyond
one's skill level)

I tend to critically evaluate the statistics cited by someone who has written a
"book" designed to appeal to the emotions and ultimately sell the author's
"invention".

"There are lies, Damned lies and Statistics" (Mark Twain)

The best defense against such an emotional attack may well be the truth!

Mary Malmros

(Tchswoods) writes:

[snip]
Are any of his figures correct?
For example:
Exactly how many deaths per year occur in/around kayaks/canoes?

Well, obviously the number isn't the same every year...and
obviously, no one knows exactly, because there isn't some kind of
worldwide body that compiles statistics on canoe and kayak deaths.
In the United States, I expect that many such deaths never get
reported beyond the local level, any more than do deaths caused by
falling out of tree houses or fatal head injuries inflicted by
badminton rackets.

How many are drownings vs. hypothermia vs. other causes? (I.e. head injury)

Well, certainly, nearly all such deaths will have drowning as their
direct cause, with something like hypothermia or injury often
leading to or contributing to the situation in which someone
drowns.

How many involve the use/non use of helmets (where appropriate) and PFDs

See above. No one knows.

What about the role of alcohol or other recreational chemicals?

See above. No one knows.

What about the lack if judgment (Attempting to paddle waters that are beyond
one's skill level)

See above. No one knows. Now, it is the case that some agencies
that compile data do look at such things -- the Coast Guard looks at
PFD use and alcohol, and Charlie Walbridge's whitewater accident
report tries to include information on experience level, conditions,
etc. But both of those are only analyzing partial data. Charlie
gathers stats on whitewater deaths and near misses, mostly from the
US, and the Coast Guard just gets what's reported to them.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros

Some days you're the windshield,
Other days you're the bug.
Almost killed attaching sponons while flipped in a

Yeah, I just loved being equated with Nazis, and the KKK...but then I found
this:

http://www.tim.ingram.isgay.com/

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

I'm just some guy who could have been killed trying to attach sponsons while
wishing I'd learned to roll.... (I wonder if THAT has happened to anyone?)

in article , "Brian Nystrom"
Made the following statement in a post to this
newsgroup 8/20/03 7:57 AM:

(
www.voyageur-gear.com)
- Feathercraft sells his stuff (www.feathercraft.com) and seemed
genuinely concerned when I spoke to them previously.

These are both well respected companies and I don't think it should be
too difficult to convince them that it's not a good idea to continue
doing business with this lunatic.

It would also be a good idea to contact the ACA (www.acanet.org), the
Trade Association of PaddleSports (www.gopaddle.org) and the Outdoor
Industry Association (www.outdoorindustry.org). They have the legal
resources to do something about this nonsense.

I realize that this will just feed his paranoia and his delusions of
grandeur and influence, but it's time he was dealt with.

--
Regards

Brian

Oci-One Kanubi

Almost killed attaching sponons while flipped in a Class IV wrote in message w...
Yeah, I just loved being equated with Nazis, and the KKK...but then I found
this:

http://www.tim.ingram.isgay.com/

That would have been mildly amusing, except that ever since visiting
that site I have been just HAMMERED with popup pages from something
called Netbroadcaster.com. Now I've gotta go figger out, yet again,
how to kill cookies (or whatever it takes)...

Eat a ****ing sponson, man. This is some nasty **** you've dumped
into the newsgroup.

--
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty

Richard Hopley, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net 1-301-775-0471
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll.
rhople[at]wfubmc[dot]edu 1-336-713-5077
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters.
Rick

Richard,

A simple method of avoiding many of these is to create (or modify) the hosts
file on your computer (on windows systems, in the windows directory). This
is a text file (with no extension, so open or create same using notepad,
save it as text, remove the .txt extension when saving).

The contents should look similar to the following:

127.0.0.1 207-87-18-203.wsmg.digex.net
127.0.0.1 garden.ngadcenter.net
127.0.0.1 ogilvy.ngadcenter.net
127.0.0.1 responsemedia-ad.flycast.com
127.0.0.1 suissa-ad.flycast.com
127.0.0.1 ugo.eu-adcenter.net
127.0.0.1 vnu.eu-adcenter.net
127.0.0.1 a32.g.a.yimg.com
127.0.0.1 ad-adex3.flycast.com
127.0.0.1 ad.adsmart.net
127.0.0.1 ad.ca.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.de.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.fr.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 trafficmarketplace.com

You can continuously append to the file (or find a regularly updated one on
the net). Effectively, what this does is tell your computer that the host
(destination of the link) named above is located on your own system.

Yahoo (and others) now offer free popup blockers for the toolbar of your
browser. This, too, can be used. The hosts file has the advantage of being
more difficult to beat with a technological solution from the remote side
and catches some the blockers do not.

Rick

"Oci-One Kanubi" wrote in message
om...
Almost killed attaching sponons while flipped in a Class IV

wrote in message
w...
Yeah, I just loved being equated with Nazis, and the KKK...but then I

found
this:

http://www.tim.ingram.isgay.com/

That would have been mildly amusing, except that ever since visiting
that site I have been just HAMMERED with popup pages from something
called Netbroadcaster.com. Now I've gotta go figger out, yet again,
how to kill cookies (or whatever it takes)...

Eat a ****ing sponson, man. This is some nasty **** you've dumped
into the newsgroup.

--
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty

Richard Hopley, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net 1-301-775-0471
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll.
rhople[at]wfubmc[dot]edu 1-336-713-5077
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters.

GaryJ

Oci-One Kanubi wrote:
That would have been mildly amusing, except that ever since visiting
that site I have been just HAMMERED with popup pages from something
called Netbroadcaster.com. Now I've gotta go figger out, yet again,
how to kill cookies (or whatever it takes)...

If you are using netscape, just check the preferences under privacy and
security, and stop al popups (except those from sites you want to use
them).

GaryJ
(Brushing dust off hands and heading for the beer fridge.)

Gary J. MacDonald

Brian Nystrom wrote:
For those of you who are as tired of the whacko's ranting as I am, it's
time we went on the offensive and hit him where it hurts, in the
pocketbook. I'm be sending excerpts of his latest rantings to companies
that do business with him. If we combine our efforts, we should be able
to generate a pretty comprehensive list of the companies involved. Just
off the top of my head, I can think of two prominent ones:

Deliberately not posted to R.B.P. for security puposes:

If you have an ally living in or near Washingto DC, then I believe it
would be possible to challenge his patent. It can be done by mail, but
I imagine it would be much much easier to have someone who can just go
into the office and file the challenge.

Some very interesting prior art was posted ot paddlewise.net last year.

GaryJ