Denman

Default Malone of Maine J Cradle vs. Thule Cradle

I was wondering if anybody had experience with either of these and if so,
which they preferred. Right now I would use it for my wife's Pungo. I
would likely get another for a touring/sea kayak when I purchase a new one.

Thanks

Denman

liv2padl

I have the Malone's J-cradles and love them. I've been using them since
Malone first started making them. I haven't used the Thule's but a friend
has a set ... I don't like them.

--
You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Michael

Walked into the store to buy Thule and saw the J-Cradles on sale for $50.
Took it as a sign, and purchased them for my Pungo 140, Solid and a rock
with my Yakima bar. I'm sure they would work fine with factory bars.

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 02:49:56 GMT, "Denman" wrote:

I was wondering if anybody had experience with either of these and if so,
which they preferred. Right now I would use it for my wife's Pungo. I
would likely get another for a touring/sea kayak when I purchase a new one.

Thanks

Denman

Disclaimer - I have no personal knowledge of these carriers. However,
from what I have read and the recommendation of the kayak shop owner
near me, the older model Thule J cradles were prone to breakage, right
at the clamp. This may have been because the clamps used to be
plastic. I think the new models come with a metal clamp, which may
address this. The shop owner actually recommended the foam blocks
over the Thule J cradles! I use foam blocks, and my friend uses the
Subaru kayak attachment (like an older version of the Yakima stakers)
with no problems. Good luck!

Dan
John

I have Malone of Maine cradles and absolutly love them. Easy to install
and easy to tie down the kayaks. Only complaint is that the foam on the
cradle doesn't allow me to push or pull the kayak back and forth for
positioning without the foam rolling up onto itself alittle

Denman wrote:
I was wondering if anybody had experience with either of these and if so,
which they preferred. Right now I would use it for my wife's Pungo. I
would likely get another for a touring/sea kayak when I purchase a new one.

Thanks

Denman

akasharkbow

"Michael" wrote in news:NwQWa.1783$ug.632@lakeread01:

Walked into the store to buy Thule and saw the J-Cradles on sale for $50.
Took it as a sign, and purchased them for my Pungo 140, Solid and a rock
with my Yakima bar. I'm sure they would work fine with factory bars.

Do both of them join up to factory bars easily? I saw them on a truck once
and the factory bars were such poor quality that they rocked back and forth
a lot. I think that they were on a Chevy mini van.

Cheers,

David