Charles Pezeshki

Default white water paddling and environment

Hi Glyn,

I'm a whitewater boater and a serious environmental activist. I've written
a book about environmental issues that also has some connection to
whitewater (though this is NOT its dominant theme) called 'Wild to the Last:
Environmental Conflict in the Clearwater Country' (WSU Press, 1998).

Though many paddlers have environmental leanings in the US, paddlers as a
whole are not extremely active regarding environmental issues. There are
notable exceptions-- the American Whitewater Association is very good on
most enviro issues, though they devote a large amount of their resources to
access issues.

Most boaters aren't spending their free time going to public meetings or
lobbying their congresspeople. They're usually out boating. And while
whitewater boaters on average could be stronger regarding enviro issues,
I've also found that when motivated, they are a Force of Nature. The trick
is finding a paddling access/experience tie-in that they can understand.

I'll be happy to offer more specific answers to your questions off-ng. I've
always felt that educating river guides wrt river issues was a great way of
reaching the larger outdoor public.

Best,

Chuck Pezeshki
http://www.wildcountry.info

in article , Glyn Thomas at
wrote on 7/10/03 6:38 PM:

Gidday,

I teach outdoor leaders of WW paddling in a university in Australia
and I am interested in three things please:

* any suggestions of books/articles/websites (fiction or non-fiction)
with a strong focus on white-water paddling (hard or soft boats) and
environmental issues/themes/concerns.

* making contact with any whitewater paddling guides who successfully
incorporate environmental messages/themes into their guiding.

* making contact with any recreational whitewater paddlers with a
passion and focus on building relationships with nature.

Sadly, to date I have not been able to track down good resources.

Hope that some of you may be able to help?

Glyn Thomas
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia