Default 7 more captured by pirates..

On 2/28/11 3:32 PM, Califbill wrote:
"Harryk" wrote in message
m...

On 2/28/11 1:37 PM, Califbill wrote:
"Lil Abner" wrote in message ...

On 2/28/2011 11:02 AM, I_am_Tosk wrote:

And this boat has three children. It's time for this to stop. The Navy
needs to storm this boat. If the innocents are killed they need to
identify the pirates, which town they are from in Somali, and eliminate
it. I guarantee you do this a couple of times, and the Somalis
themselves will put a stop to it...

Somehow it is more civilized to let the drama continue. That there is a
Global government etc that should deal with piracy as a crime with due
process and Pirates rights.
We have the resources to locate these people on the oceans.
Sink them without asking them, about their troubled childhoods, poor
villages back home, and their hopes and aspirations.
Somalia is a trouble region and really is no civilized government in
control of anything their gnp is probably all from piracy.
Let the military deal with them as they deem wise and necessary, on the
spot and no recriminations from Washington etc.
No trials. Once the victims are free, put the pirates back on the mother
or pirate ship and sink it.
Close their ports and destroy them. they might get upset...well the
victims are upset and the rest of the world is tired of it.

Reply:
Solution to the piracy. Limit the fishing to within 100 miles of the
shore. If a Somali boat is outside the 100 miles, they sink and die.
When the Somali's decide that piracy is not worth the problems, then
they can fish further out. If the pirates capture a boat inside the 100
miles, is the boats problem. They kill hostages while in Somalia, then
figure how who had gotten rich in the last 5 years and kill them.

Under International Law, I doubt you can do that. How are you going to
legally restrict access to the high seas?

Reply:
Under the rule of the others got bigger guns and boats.

Those are the rules of the stupid.

We're not at war with Somalia, and we have no legal standing in
international law to interdict all Somali boats outside of a 100-mile
imaginary boundary.

On Feb 28, 4:01*pm, Harryk wrote:
On 2/28/11 3:32 PM, Califbill wrote:

"Harryk" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Well, Canada isn't in a War with Libya....but we've now frozen
millions in securities...heh heh.

On 2/28/11 5:17 PM, wrote:

"Lil Abner" wrote in message ...

[...]

It is called a blockade, unless you are JFK, then it is an embargo.

I guarantee you, as soon as they get a terror connection, this will
escalate and I think that in imminent. Unfortunately for us, the rule
is "first punch is free" so we won't do anything until we have a
serious attack traced back to this money.

That blockade was imposed against ships sent out by a nation. I believe
any such blockade as described here will violate international law.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:20:23 -0500, Harryk
wrote:

That blockade was imposed against ships sent out by a nation. I believe
any such blockade as described here will violate international law.

My friend, Harold the lawyer, operating from his basement office in
Maryland, says we have no legal standing to deal with piracy on the
high seas.

Interesting.

I thought that precedent had been established by Tom Jefferson some
years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_Wars

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:29:44 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:08:54 -0800,
wrote:

"Lil Abner" wrote in message ...

[...]

He's talking about a blockade I would guess. That's pretty difficult
given the length of the coast line... very expensive to maintain.

Of course, everyone seems to be forgetting our little adventure in
1993, wherein Clinton tried to do something and got blasted by the
right-wing.

He got blasted because it was a half assed, poorly planned effort that
got a lot of GIs killed, similar to the cluster **** in the Iranian
desert in 1980.

No. He got blasted because he was a hated Democrat. Did Reagan get
blasted by the Republicans for screwing up in Lebanon? By the
Democrats? Nope. Didn't happen. How many died there? And, Reagan
turned tail and ran.

By June 1993, only 1200 U.S. troops remained in Somalia,

Not enough to take on any real operation in Mogadishu if they sent
them all.

I guess you didn't even bother to read the article.

"President Clinton supported the U.N. mandate and ordered the number
of U.S. troops in Somalia reduced, to be replaced by U.N. troops."

It sure is convenient when you don't actually include the quote.

If we did anything on the ground in Somalia we should send 100,000 at
least and we are not going to do that, hence my idea of just going
after the pirates by profiling every boat in that area, identifying
the likely pirates and engaging them at sea where we can win.
Let a few hundred profilers do their job in the US instead of being
IED targets in Somalia.

Really? This from a non-interventionalist like you? I thought you
didn't want to send troops into another senseless war.

This is a seaborne problem and it should be handled at sea where it is
easier to sort out the good guys and bad guys.

Now you're claiming that all the navies in the area are incompetent?
Wow, you're some kind of expert!!

"Lil Abner" wrote in message ...

[...]

Really... you're going to blockage the entire Somali coast. I bet that
will be cheap!

wrote:

That blockade was imposed against ships sent out by a nation. I believe
any such blockade as described here will violate international law.

My friend, Harold the lawyer, operating from his basement office in
Maryland, says we have no legal standing to deal with piracy on the
high seas.

Interesting.

I thought that precedent had been established by Tom Jefferson some
years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_Wars

He said nothing of the sort. Try again Mr. Wayne of OT posts.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:12:44 -0800, wrote:

I thought that precedent had been established by Tom Jefferson some
years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_Wars

He said nothing of the sort. Try again Mr. Wayne of OT posts.

Why is that when I disagree with Harry, I get a response from you, and
when I disagree with you, I get a response from Harry. Are you two
sleeping with each other? Is this an example of collusion?

PS, nothing about piracy is off topic. Piracy, by definition, is all
about boats.

wrote:

That blockade was imposed against ships sent out by a nation. I believe
any such blockade as described here will violate international law.

My friend, Harold the lawyer, operating from his basement office in
Maryland, says we have no legal standing to deal with piracy on the
high seas.

Interesting.

I thought that precedent had been established by Tom Jefferson some
years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_Wars

When did I say that, Corporate Apologist?

In article ,
says...

"Lil Abner" wrote in message ...

[...]

The blockade was not my idea, fight that one out with Tosk., I was
just saying if we wanted to we could.

I said nothing about a blockaid. You need to get some kind of system to
keep her constant non-sequitur straight

G.I. Joe Captured! Gilligan ASA 3 February 2nd 05 01:27 AM
Saddam Captured Wally ASA 11 December 15th 03 01:10 AM
How we *really* captured Saddam Harry Krause General 0 December 14th 03 09:31 PM