Tim Tim is offline

Default How come you can't refine your own gasoline?

With the crisis in Egypt pushing oil futures up, and 'talk' of $5.00 a
gallon gas, I was wondering why you couldnt' make your own?

I mean, to a limit you can brew your own beer, and beer with no
regulation or restrictions (except for quantity). So why can't a
person make their own small refinery? i have friends who work at a
refinery and they say that the process isn't really that difficult and
in my area we have lots of oil wells. so.........

another thing. for recreational boating, why can't we be exempt from
paying highway taxes on gas?

hmmmm?

On 1/29/11 1:28 PM, Tim wrote:
With the crisis in Egypt pushing oil futures up, and 'talk' of $5.00 a
gallon gas, I was wondering why you couldnt' make your own?

I mean, to a limit you can brew your own beer, and beer with no
regulation or restrictions (except for quantity). So why can't a
person make their own small refinery? i have friends who work at a
refinery and they say that the process isn't really that difficult and
in my area we have lots of oil wells. so.........

another thing. for recreational boating, why can't we be exempt from
paying highway taxes on gas?

hmmmm?

I'll leave the production of gasoline to the crackers* but when I was a
kid in Connecticut, you could get a refund on road taxes for gas used in
your boat. My dad gave specially printed receipt books to his
customers...they filled them out and sent them in for the refund. I
sorta recall the gas station operator had to sign and stamp the
receipts, but maybe not.

This was when gasoline was 20 cents a gallon at the local gas station,
and a nickel more at the marina.

* crackers...those who know how to "crack" petroleum.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 29, 12:33*pm, Harryk wrote:
On 1/29/11 1:28 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

I dont' think that for recreational boating, Illinois has such a
provision. though. unless you've got some type of commercial license.

* crackers...those who know how to "crack" petroleum.

i knew what you meant.. "Catylist" or "Cat cracker"

On 1/29/11 1:49 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jan 29, 12:33 pm, wrote:
On 1/29/11 1:28 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

I don't know that Connecticut still refunds road taxes for gas used in
boats. I know it did in the 1950s and at least part of the 1960s.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 13:52:07 -0500, Harryk
wrote:

I don't know that Connecticut still refunds road taxes for gas used in
boats. I know it did in the 1950s and at least part of the 1960s.

====

They were still doing it in the early 2000s when we were boating
there.

Tim, if you want to save on road taxes convert your vehicle to burn
propane. I've heard that it is relatively easy. You can also buy
"farm gas" in many states but there are big penalties for using it on
the road.

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

I don't know that Connecticut still refunds road taxes for gas used in
boats. I know it did in the 1950s and at least part of the 1960s.

====

They were still doing it in the early 2000s when we were boating
there.

Tim, if you want to save on road taxes convert your vehicle to burn
propane. *I've heard that it is relatively easy. *You can also buy
"farm gas" in many states but there are big penalties for using it on
the road.

Wayne, as you know propane is safe and vehicles have been running on
it for years. And you can transfer liquid propane from your remote
house heater tank to your car safely. Some people around here do it on
their pickup's and have for years.... But having a huge and heavy tank
in the trunk of the car would be a pain. and finding propane dealers
on the road would be a horrible. however, they can be rigged to run
both. It's still a pain though.

concerning the 'farm gas', there is a color additive in the farm
diesel that is different color than automotive. And even a quart in
of ag. in 55 gal of automotive is visually detectable. Yes, if you get
caught running the stuff in your diesel pickup it's heavy fines.

But I'd think it would be neat to make your own gasoline for your
boat, and even road use UP TO a certain limit, though.

"Harryk" wrote in message
On 1/29/11 1:49 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jan 29, 12:33 pm, wrote:
On 1/29/11 1:28 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

We used to have the 'marked' (dyed) gas here for commercial fishermen. I
haven't heard about that in years.

True North wrote:

"Harryk" wrote in message
On 1/29/11 1:49 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jan 29, 12:33 pm, wrote:
On 1/29/11 1:28 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

It's "off-road" diesel, Donnie.

On Jan 29, 6:33*pm, "True North" wrote:
"Harryk" wrote in message

On 1/29/11 1:49 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jan 29, 12:33 pm, *wrote:
On 1/29/11 1:28 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Don't you mean Dyed Diesel? Most Tugs here use Diesel.

Harryk wrote:
On 1/29/11 1:49 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jan 29, 12:33 pm, wrote:
On 1/29/11 1:28 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that update. It's 2011, BTW...

leakage in the gasoline inlet / gasoline smell to-tom General 2 January 4th 07 04:34 PM
More on Gasoline Prices JimH General 17 September 18th 06 02:23 AM
Gasoline Joe ASA 3 July 17th 06 02:44 AM
Gasoline stabilizer Norm Dion General 0 October 19th 05 06:22 PM
A question about gasoline John Wentworth General 6 September 10th 04 03:16 PM