Gfretwell

Default Isabel's Damage Extensive in Maryland

I hope McGarveys survived, I suppose the place could use a good rinsing out
tho.
James Johnson

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:18:18 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Just finished a tour from Annapolis down to Chesapeake Beach. Damage
from Isabel fairly extensive, especially from the storm surge.

The Annapolis City Dock and the areas immediately surrounding it were
under water, at least four feet deep from some of the marks I saw.

Deale and the surrounding areas are still without electricity. Skipper's
Pier Restaurant looks mostly broken up. The Happy Harbour was partly
underwater yesterday, but today the owners are giving away free burgers
on the deck. Waters have receded around the Calypso Bay Restaurant.

Harbour Cove Marina is now uncovered, but with no power, cleanup and
repair will be slow.

Herrington Harbour North lost substantial portions of several piers, and
a few boats, too. Herrington Harbour South looks pretty good. Looked
like a wedding was going on when I drove by...

North Beach and Chesapeake Beach are a real mess. The surge crossed
streets and come into homes to a level of three feet in some places.

We lost power here at our house for abut 16 hours, but our backup genny
filled in. The cable TV just came back on.

Solomons was also under water, a lot of businesses took a big hit. Don't know
how the marinas fared, crossing the bridge going to work Friday morning all the
docks were underwater, just could see the tops of the pilings.

According to the news the boardwalk at North Beach is gone.

Stoney's in Solomons and Broomes Island were flooded, and both of the waterfront
restaurants at Benedict on the Patuxent River look to be total losses - severe
structural damage from the surge.

JJ

Might post some photos later.

Cheers.

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply