Mark Browne

Default OT--Weaslyl watch begins

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Mark Browne wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
jps wrote:

"Mark Pilcher" wrote in message
Subject: OT--Weaslyl watch begins
From: Harry Krause

Well, that certainly excludes the piece of crap now occupying the

White
House. He couldn't even finish his stint in the Texas ANG.

Both you, and the former C-in-C didn't even serve, so what's your

point?

Golly, I didn't know Harry was running!!? Congrats Harry!

It would be worth running just to call Bush a piece of crap during

every
speech.

You ever see mystery science theater 2000? Just think of what you could

do
with a Bush speech, especially after a little time goes by so you can

cut to
a comparison of what he promises matched up with what is actually

delivered!
Perhaps the pop-up balloons would be the best way to tackle this. I am

just
wondering - would it be comedy or a disaster documentary?

Mark Browne

Not so distant. It's going to be done, perhaps not with pop-up balloons,
but with his visage, speaking his words and those of his administration,
followed by the truth and what actually took place. They won't be
candidate-sponsored, they'll be organizationally sponsored.

--
* * *
email sent to

Sic 'em Illco!

Harry,
BTW - You seem to travel in the right circles to know the answers on this
one:

Why have I never seen a union take the unemployed members and start some
kind of venture without waiting for a capitalist to offer work?
Is there some rule that prevents the union from starting co-ops to put the
boys to work?
Or has this never come up?

Mark Browne

Harry Krause

From: Harry Krause

[...]

If you are talking about construction workers, I suspect it is because
the trades unions don't want to put themselves in competition with the
signatory contractors, or actually get into the contracting business.

Most of the skilled trades unions have programs that help unemployed
members get good work. They might have to travel a little if work is
slow in one place, but if they travel to another, they get a travel
allowance and other benefits.

Also, the unions and their contractor counterparts invest a substantial
amount of pension money into solid construction projects, either
construction loans or permanent financing. That provides tens of
thousands of jobs every year for union members.

--
* * *
email sent to

Clams Canino

What happened up here was that the Seabrook Power Station project severery
inflated the number of the construction unions members. Not only were they
coming from all over the country but many of the local people (myself
included) were vacuumed into the unions to provide enough workers to build
that critter.

When that job ended - there was no way in hell the unions could find work
for THAT many people and many of us just drifted off into other areas of
work.

That said, I find my participation in that project some of the most
rewarding few years of my life and I look back on it fondly. And I learned a
LOT.

-W

If you are talking about construction workers, I suspect it is because
the trades unions don't want to put themselves in competition with the
signatory contractors, or actually get into the contracting business.

Most of the skilled trades unions have programs that help unemployed
members get good work. They might have to travel a little if work is
slow in one place, but if they travel to another, they get a travel
allowance and other benefits.

Also, the unions and their contractor counterparts invest a substantial
amount of pension money into solid construction projects, either
construction loans or permanent financing. That provides tens of
thousands of jobs every year for union members.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Harry Krause

Clams Canino wrote:
What happened up here was that the Seabrook Power Station project severery
inflated the number of the construction unions members. Not only were they
coming from all over the country but many of the local people (myself
included) were vacuumed into the unions to provide enough workers to build
that critter.

When that job ended - there was no way in hell the unions could find work
for THAT many people and many of us just drifted off into other areas of
work.

That said, I find my participation in that project some of the most
rewarding few years of my life and I look back on it fondly. And I learned a
LOT.

-W

There are lots of union construction workers, especially in highly
skilled trades, who travel around the country from job to job because
they like to work that way and they cna earn big bucks doing so.
Steamfitters, especially, are in high demand for powerplant work,
because they are the only ones qualified to make the necessary welds.

Jim -

et...

From: Harry Krause

[...]

The unions leach off the capitalists. Why should they change?

BTW: What is union membership down to, about 13% of the total US workforce? Take
away the teachers union and the government workers and you are left with unions
representing a small percentage of the total US workforce. The trend for union
membership has been on a downward slide as most workers realize they can earn better
pay and better benefits without having to pay thousands each year to union fatcats.

Mark Browne

snip
The unions leach off the capitalists. Why should they change?

BTW: What is union membership down to, about 13% of the total US

workforce? Take
away the teachers union and the government workers and you are left with

unions
representing a small percentage of the total US workforce. The trend for

union
membership has been on a downward slide as most workers realize they can

earn better
pay and better benefits without having to pay thousands each year to union

fatcats.

I was just chatting with a fellow today - he said that the union organizers
were snooping around the place he works (a printed circuit board house) and
the management suddenly felt the need to raise his pay 3 bucks an hour.
Would they have done this without the union?

Perhaps the union is just a tool in the hand of the worker. They pull it out
and club companies that loose touch with reality. Like any tool, it *can* be
miss-used. We all know that there are bunches of people that want to get rid
of certain tools just because they can be mis-used. Examples include
firearms, jet skis, private aircraft, encryption software, file sharing
software. Unions are something like that.

I used to live Waterloo Iowa. The only big employers are IBP and John Deere.
Deere has done some pretty scummy things to the town over the years. I can
tell you that the union is about the only force keeping John Deere in line.
There *are* still situations in the USA were the union is useful.

Please note that compensation and mission are separate issues. Just like
government leadership jobs, I would like to see union leadership get the
median wage of the workers. That might address the "fatcat" issue. Or not.
It would still go a long ways towards addressing issues of fairness.

Mark Browne

Jim -

"Mark Browne" wrote in message
snip
[...]

Why does an average quality family car like a Chevy Impala cost close to $20k today?