posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default pink "RV and Marine" antifreeze okay to winterize with?

I'm guessing the pink "RV and Marine" antifreeze wouldn't be okay
to run in a closed cooling system with a radiator, but for just
winterizing a boat motor it's okay isn't it? It says it won't
hurt metal or plastic. Will it hurt gaskets or rings or anything?

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:19:35 -0500, langrish@. wrote:

I'm guessing the pink "RV and Marine" antifreeze wouldn't be okay
to run in a closed cooling system with a radiator, but for just
winterizing a boat motor it's okay isn't it?

I used it for years when I lived in the North East with no problems.
Given the choice I'd recommend spending a little more and buying the
type rated at -100 degrees. My thinking is that even if it ends up
getting diluted by residual/trapped water, you still have an extra
margin of protection.

On Dec 16, 11:19*am, langrish@. wrote:
I'm guessing the pink "RV and Marine" antifreeze wouldn't be okay
to run in a closed cooling system with a radiator, but for just
winterizing a boat motor it's okay isn't it? It says it won't
hurt metal or plastic. Will it hurt gaskets or rings or anything?

If your engine is NOT on a " closed system " you could try the same
method I did. Disconnect your " rad " hose ( if equipped ) and connect
your Shop Vac set to blow to the end of the hose. Turn on the Vac for
a couple minutes, and blow all the water out of the engine(s) . Works
for me on my V 6.

* Friends are priceless....Asswipe spoofres, USELESS *