BoatBanter.com

-   -   All quiet (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/120374-all-quiet.html)

Paul@BYC[_2_] November 15th 10 05:30 PM

All quiet

It's all quiet on the western, eastern, northern, and southern front
here! Just C.Bill, JPS, Yukon and W1TEF (is that shorthand for amateur
radio?)...

Got out on the boat this past weekend for the last time this year.
Caught no fish, possibly because we just rode around and brought no bait.

Saw a boat I wouldn't mind having, a Hunt 29. Deep vee, nicely finished
and looks fast.

Wayne.B November 15th 10 06:25 PM

All quiet

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:30:37 -0500, "Paul@BYC"
wrote:

Caught no fish, possibly because we just rode around and brought no bait.

That will do it every time!

My nephew was visiting from Michigan over the weekend and wanted to go
fishing so we went down to the local bait and tackle store and bought
him a light weight spinning outfit and some live shrimp. He was
catching small (throw back) Snappers off of our dock within minutes of
starting. Talk about beginners luck.

HarryK November 15th 10 06:36 PM

All quiet

wrote:

Caught no fish, possibly because we just rode around and brought no bait.

That will do it every time!

My nephew was visiting from Michigan over the weekend and wanted to go
fishing so we went down to the local bait and tackle store and bought
him a light weight spinning outfit and some live shrimp. He was
catching small (throw back) Snappers off of our dock within minutes of
starting. Talk about beginners luck.

Live shrimp certainly was a bait of choice for inshore and ICW fishing
when we lived in Florida. Used to be able to buy a dozen really
nice-sized shrimp for a $1.25 at many local bait shops if you didn't
feel like cast-netting for bait.

I've caught reds, flounder, catfish, sharks, snappers, whiting (one of
my favorite fish to eat) and, in fact, just about anything fishy that
swims in Florida waters on live shrimp.

Used to have some pretty interesting "shrimp runs" on the St. Johns
River near a place called Doctors Lake. Might be 100 small boats out
there during the runs, bringing in nets full of shrimp to take home and
eat.

HarryK November 15th 10 06:37 PM

All quiet

On 11/15/10 12:30 PM, Paul@BYC wrote:
It's all quiet on the western, eastern, northern, and southern front
here! Just C.Bill, JPS, Yukon and W1TEF (is that shorthand for amateur
radio?)...

Got out on the boat this past weekend for the last time this year.
Caught no fish, possibly because we just rode around and brought no bait.

Saw a boat I wouldn't mind having, a Hunt 29. Deep vee, nicely finished
and looks fast.

It is quiet around here. Not a problem.

I've looked at the web page of those Hunt boats from time to time. Very
nice, and I'm sure they run well in rough water. Hey...buy one and I'll
drive up for a test ride!

YukonBound November 15th 10 08:51 PM

All quiet

"Paul@BYC" wrote in message
It's all quiet on the western, eastern, northern, and southern front here!
Just C.Bill, JPS, Yukon and W1TEF (is that shorthand for amateur
radio?)...

Got out on the boat this past weekend for the last time this year. Caught
no fish, possibly because we just rode around and brought no bait.

Saw a boat I wouldn't mind having, a Hunt 29. Deep vee, nicely finished
and looks fast.

On Saturday I jacked up the axle of my Princecraft so I could put blocks
beneath the rear trailer frame.
Now the weight is off the springs and wheels.
Today I ran some Sta-Bil enhanced gas through the 25 hp Johnson while
spraying fogging oil in the carb.
Next I removed the sparkplugs and sprayed the fogging oil there plus over
the metal parts under the cowling.
I found my gear oil container nearly empty.... but I drained the old out
and pumped the container dry replenishing it.
I was a few ounces short but I'll wait until spring before topping up the
last bit.
Tomorrow I'll take the summer cover off, remove the battery and put the
winter tarps on.

HarryK November 15th 10 09:05 PM

All quiet

On 11/15/10 3:51 PM, YukonBound wrote:

"Paul@BYC" wrote in message
[...]

For boaters, winter up north...sux! :)

I've got my winter outdoor project ahead of me: I hope to start building
my deck about the second week of December and finish it up before the
New Year.

The concrete is supposed to be poured on either Wednesday, Thursday or
Friday, depending on the weather. I'll seriously consider playing with
my carpentry tools in early December. My decking lumber (the Ipe, not
the structural lumber) is supposed to be delivered about the first week
of December. Weather permitting, I'll have the structure up just before
the first of the year. Maybe.

Fortunately, I have room in the garage to stack and store the lumber, so
"shrinkage" will not be a problem.

Ziggy[_2_] November 15th 10 09:47 PM

All quiet

"HarryK" wrote in message
Fortunately, I have room in the garage to stack and store the lumber, so
"shrinkage" will not be a problem.

It's none of my business but why don't you store the lumber in the
environment it will be used in?

bpuharic November 15th 10 10:37 PM

All quiet

wrote:

It's all quiet on the western, eastern, northern, and southern front
here! Just C.Bill, JPS, Yukon and W1TEF (is that shorthand for amateur
radio?)...

Got out on the boat this past weekend for the last time this year.
Caught no fish, possibly because we just rode around and brought no bait.

Saw a boat I wouldn't mind having, a Hunt 29. Deep vee, nicely finished
and looks fast.

my marina has a webcam....very quiet indeed...waiting for the spring

http://live.morrisonslbi.com/index.html

Wayne.B November 15th 10 10:57 PM

All quiet

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:37:12 -0500, bpuharic wrote:

my marina has a webcam....very quiet indeed...waiting for the spring

http://live.morrisonslbi.com/index.html

Looks like it's snowing. That can't be possible can it?

*e#c November 15th 10 11:15 PM

All quiet

On Nov 15, 12:30*pm, "Paul@BYC" wrote:
It's all quiet on the western, eastern, northern, and southern front
here! Just C.Bill, JPS, Yukon and W1TEF (is that shorthand for amateur
radio?)...

Got out on the boat this past weekend for the last time this year.
Caught no fish, possibly because we just rode around and brought no bait.

Saw a boat I wouldn't mind having, a Hunt 29. Deep vee, nicely finished
and looks fast.

The Hunt IS a nice Boat. I like the Bimini they've made. Cant really
fish off of it, though.

L G[_4_] November 16th 10 12:55 AM

All quiet

wrote:

[...]

I've caught a lot of fish in FL but never a whiting. I've never heard
of anyone catching them either. Do they live in brackish water? I
remember them in the store years ago smoked and ready to eat.

You missed Grouper. That is one of the best reef fish.

L G[_4_] November 16th 10 01:07 AM

All quiet

"Paul@BYC" wrote in message
[...]

Are you hoping to finish it before the New Year or are you going to have
the structure up, weather permitting, before the first of the year?
This is beginning to "sound" suspicious.

Why do you think lumber that would shrink outside wouldn't shrink in
your garage? Treated lumber shrinks - always. KDAT will help but it
will still shrink.

L G[_4_] November 16th 10 01:08 AM

All quiet

Ziggy wrote:
"HarryK" wrote in message
Fortunately, I have room in the garage to stack and store the lumber,
so "shrinkage" will not be a problem.

It's none of my business but why don't you store the lumber in the
environment it will be used in?

Normally. It's called acclimation.

Wayne.B November 16th 10 01:15 AM

All quiet

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:55:29 -0500, L G wrote:

You missed Grouper. That is one of the best reef fish.

Down here in SWFL we catch them 20 to 30 miles offshore in water 100
ft deep. I prefer not to eat reef fish, not worth the risk of
Ciguatera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

JustWaitAFrekinMinute! November 16th 10 01:17 AM

All quiet

"Paul@BYC" wrote in message
[...]

will still shrink.- Hide quoted text -

"Shrinkage" is a term used in retail business, it refers to pilferage.
He's afraid somebody in his neighborhood will steal his 2x4's.. ;)

L G[_4_] November 16th 10 01:42 AM

All quiet

Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:55:29 -0500, L wrote:

You missed Grouper. That is one of the best reef fish.

Down here in SWFL we catch them 20 to 30 miles offshore in water 100
ft deep. I prefer not to eat reef fish, not worth the risk of
Ciguatera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

Barracuda are well known for that disease. Snapper and grouper are
served in restaurants all over the world and they aren't farm raised. I
doubt the flesh is tested.

L G[_4_] November 16th 10 01:44 AM

All quiet

JustWaitAFrekinMinute! wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I've heard the term in that context but he's in a rural area, right?

HarryK November 16th 10 02:34 AM

All quiet

wrote in message
[...]

You are defining the word properly. I'm not really worried about theft,
although in this day and age, anything is possible. By stacking the wood
in my garage, though, it remains dry and secure. I suppose I could pull
a tarp over the wood to keep the snow off it, if it snows, but that's a
pain in the ass. It's easier to work with these materials if they are
clean and dry.

Some of the materials I ordered are fairly expensive, relative to the
other materials.

bpuharic November 16th 10 02:53 AM

All quiet

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:57:37 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:37:12 -0500, bpuharic wrote:

my marina has a webcam....very quiet indeed...waiting for the spring

http://live.morrisonslbi.com/index.html

Looks like it's snowing. That can't be possible can it?

not yet! just alot of noise on the signal at night. looks better in
the morning

Califbill November 16th 10 04:53 AM

All quiet

wrote in message
[...]

Reply:
If it is cold out, make sure you put large spaces between the boards when
installing. Look at the install notes regards temperature.

HarryK November 16th 10 11:53 AM

All quiet

wrote in message
[...]

The install notes suggest 1/8" gap between decking boards. I'll be using
clip fasteners that don't show from the top. This is the supplier:

http://www.ipeclip.com/

mmc November 16th 10 02:24 PM

All quiet

wrote:

[...]

----------

We get whiting off the beaches here on the Space Coast. Don't know where
else they're found.

HarryK November 16th 10 02:28 PM

All quiet

On 11/16/10 9:24 AM, MMC wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Anywhere from St. Augustine Inlet up to Georgia, just offshore and in
the inlets. You can catch 'em by casting light tackle from the beaches.
My favorite place to catch whiting was in Nassau Sound, north of
Jacksonville. Beautiful scenery on shore, sandbars, deep channels
between the bars, and lots of whiting. I used very light spinning tackle
to catch them.

Califbill November 16th 10 07:23 PM

All quiet

wrote in message
[...]

check the gap at freezing temps, or ask Trex. There is a large temperature
expansion coeff.

HarryK November 16th 10 07:26 PM

All quiet

wrote in message
[...]

Actually, I decided not to use Trex. Have 1,200 lineal feet of Ipe
pregrooved 1x4 on order.

L G[_4_] November 17th 10 12:35 AM

All quiet

wrote in message
[...]

That's 350 sq feet with zero waste. Is that right?

Califbill November 17th 10 06:08 AM

All quiet

wrote in message
[...]

Probably the same coefficient of expansion.

*e#c November 17th 10 03:35 PM

All quiet

On Nov 15, 8:17*pm, "JustWaitAFrekinMinute!"
wrote:

"Paul@BYC" wrote in message
[...]

You would know, Panty Goddess. Is that why you cant hold a steady job,
too much " shrinkage "?

L G[_4_] November 18th 10 12:41 AM

All quiet

wrote in message
[...]

Ipe' is a very hard, very dense, wood. Trex has plastics in it. I
would bet that Trex is susceptible to more expansion and contraction
with the seasons.

Crotchedy Harry November 18th 10 02:34 PM

All quiet

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
[...]

It has a high coefficient of expansion. You have to use clips to attach
it to anything because of the movement.