Default "Late season" boating?

Well, SC has a very short "winter", so we do get to boat pretty much
year 'round...

However, my wife had joined the Groupon email list last week, and one
of the offers was for a guided trip down the Congaree River here in
Columbia. The Saluda and Broad rivers come together to form the
Congaree, and Columbia was built right on the banks of the confluence
of them.

We joined up with about 18 others this afternoon and went down to the
river with the assorted watercraft. We had chosen a canoe, another
young couple (them, not us) had chosen a tandem kayak, and everyone
else was in a single-place kayak. Turned out that young couple were
both dancers at the Columbia Ballet. She had the legs for it.

While the Saluda River coming off Lake Murray can be a dangerous place
with class 4 and 5 rapids and hydraulics, the Congaree is pretty
sedate. The first half of the 3+ mile trip was rocky, and the current
was moving, but not fast. With a guide up front pointing out the
line, it was no problem, except we had to get our rowing synched up
and figured out. We did just in time for reaching the locks. My wife
had made the reservations, and thought the canoe would be easier. Um,
no.

Yes, the river had locks. I never knew that, as the dam and lock were
taken out of service 60 years ago and the dam demolished, but there
was a single lock at the fall line on the river. Becouse of the mild
whitewater, concrete, and rusty rebar still in the river around the 3
foot drop at the old dam, we went through the old locks on the side.
That's the only place we got into trouble, because we quit paddling as
we were coming out of it in the strong current that was shooting
through there. We got sideways and started to tip, but we both did
the right thing with the paddles and weight shift and saved it. The
guide started calling us the olympic canoe team after that. :- I
call it blind luck!

The rest of the trip was calm, scenic, and non-eventful. A great way
to spend an 81 degree late October afternoon. I didn't get wet, and
our boat is still sitting in it's slip, waiting for another nice day.
Life is good!!

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:34:42 -0700 (PDT), Jack wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a great time, and you didn't have to worry about a dead battery!

Good story.
--
John H

All decisions are the result of binary thinking.

On Oct 24, 8:06*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

Well, we *did* have to worry about some chilly water! And my battery
was starting to run down a bit at the end... :-