BoatBanter.com

-   -   1994 Mercury maribner Question (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1186-1994-mercury-maribner-question.html)

Clams Canino September 18th 03 03:28 AM

1994 Mercury maribner Question

They usually rate in terms of Max RPM, minus the "sustained" word.

Most of the Merc V-6's are about 5200 or a little more - Max RPM. You *can*
run an outboard "sustained" at max RPM rating. But, they'll last a while
longer if you instead find a nice "cruising RPM" where the motor just "feels
happy". For a Merc that usually around 3800 - 4300 or so.

You'll save a lot of gas too.

-W

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
What is the max sustained RPM for a 1994 200HP injected Mercury Mariner.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Bob La Londe September 18th 03 04:01 AM

1994 Mercury maribner Question

This thing feels good all the way up to 6000 RPM. Not like my 150 that felt
good at about 4800

et...

Clams Canino September 18th 03 04:09 AM

1994 Mercury maribner Question

If you make 6000 - you might be a little underpropped - unless your hole
shot is important to you.

My inline pulls good to 6000 - but I cruise it at 4200 - and run any
"sustained" WOT at 5500 max.

I did do about 3 minutes at 6000 recently.... a bunch of kids in some new IO
hotboat tried to run me. They finally pulled ahead - but *very* slowly. I
wouln't have done it except that I could see that with 5 "kewl dewds" in the
boat - they had too much weight. Next time they see an old inline - they'll
remember me.

Bob La Londe September 18th 03 05:09 AM

1994 Mercury maribner Question

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
t...
If you make 6000 - you might be a little underpropped - unless your hole
shot is important to you.

Probably. Its also a 5 blade prop. It literally comes out of the water
instantly if I trim down. Even trimmed up with the jack plate all the way
up it comes out of the hole just fine.

My inline pulls good to 6000 - but I cruise it at 4200 - and run any
"sustained" WOT at 5500 max.

I did do about 3 minutes at 6000 recently.... a bunch of kids in some new

IO
hotboat tried to run me. They finally pulled ahead - but *very* slowly. I
wouln't have done it except that I could see that with 5 "kewl dewds" in

the
boat - they had too much weight. Next time they see an old inline -

they'll
remember me.

I did a little of that a few weeks ago running solo up river. Some guy with
a hug cat/tunnel went by me and sprayed me with his twin rooster tails. I
opened it up and he started porpoising really bad when he hit the throttle.
I shot by him like he was sitting still.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az