Default Canoes, Caves and heat

In the early August North Florida Sauna, it's hard to find any
enthusiasm for anything outside but life in refrigerated air gets
boring. So, we decided to do a combined canoe/caving trip with cold
spring water involved. Went from Tallahassee to Marianna to survey a
small cave on the Chipola River accessible only from the water. The
water was nice and cool as was the cave but once that task was
accomplished, we just HAD to go in search of another rumoured cave in
the woods nearby.
Wandered about a mile and a half thru woods with enormous spider webs
blocking the trail and moccasin infested creeks and 99 degree air with
enough humidity to drown in. Finally found it, the entire area had
been used as a dump back up until the early 60s. The sink that
actually looked promising was filled with all sorts of metal debris,
broken bottles and general garbage. I was afraid to even move any of
the old metal for fear of finding snakes. You'd have to get a triple
dose tetanus shot to even think of working on this cave entrance.
Went back to the boats and sat in the cave entrance to cool off by
which time I was recognizing my nemesis of dehydration because I had
left my gator aide at the truck. Was having trouble remembering stuff
and feeling dizzy but one of the guys had some water. Sat long enough
to cool off before going back downriver.
Another week of sitting in AC will give me enough cabin fever to try
again for some outside adventure.

On 8/9/10 12:39 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Experiencing a bit'o'global warming, are we?

On Aug 9, 12:41*pm, "Harry @ news.east.earthlink.net"
wrote:
[...]

Just a normal Tallahassee summer as far as I can tell.

wrote:
[...]

Well, we seem to be having a similar hot spell, with very short breaks.
It was hot enough to get me in the Pax River yesterday, and I usually
only enjoy swimming in the ocean or in big "wave" pools. Water temp up
here was 87F+.

m...
wrote:
[...]

Ewww
http://www.co.cal.md.us/assets/Plann...hesOfRiver.pdf

--
The OBAMA motto: We've got what it takes, to take what you've got!

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

That's probably where all of these oozing pustules came from. Either
that, or I just can't reach all of the fat folds to wash.

--
The stupider you sound, the more Republican votes you'll get

In article ,
says...

[...]

Spoofer alert! That's just stupid on too many levels.

--
The stupider you sound, the more Republican votes you'll get

In article 739c110d-1084-4916-8569-19f8f939cf42
@j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com, says...

[...]

Wow, I got caught out once with only Gatorade and the kid was getting
dehydrated. She kept complaining it was too sweet and wanted plain
water. Now we buy cases of water for about $2.25 or so and keep
literally a couple in the hauler at all times in summer. Folks know they
can get a fresh water there, even if it isn't cold... Saved a few guys
afternoons, specially the day riders who are not familiar with the area
and the heat there or just not prepared...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!