Default Potomac Boating...a blast

In article ,
says...

On 8/2/10 11:46 AM, I am Tosk wrote:

Wish I could get my boat out
this season, haven't had time yet...

Thought you used it for firewood...

What exactly made you think that, spoofer?

In article ,
says...

On 8/2/10 11:09 AM, John H wrote:
Took the boat to Pohick Bay yesterday, after noticing how well the new cover is
working out. Some very heavy rain got my neighboring boat's cover over the past
couple weeks. He is now a believer in the use of tight straps rather than bungee
cords for keeping his cover taut.

Daughter, SIL, and grandkids arrived at the launch ramp about the same time I
did, so no one had to wait. With three adults and four little ones, the boat was
pretty full. The Yamaha 150 had no problem getting us moving though.

http://tinyurl.com/39klfrb

I might even have a new boat captain in the making...

http://tinyurl.com/32a3c48

We got to a little boaters beach outside Occoquan, VA, anchored and let the kids
start running around.

http://tinyurl.com/34heavr

The kids wanted to do some tubing, which I'd never tried before. This was the
tube I got last fall. Worked well, and they had a blast. The picture takers kept
using the zoom, so most of the tubing shots didn't come out.Here's my daughter
having fun...

http://tinyurl.com/2vmqr3r

Daughter took this picture of my $30,000 towel rack.

http://tinyurl.com/3ypjvl6

Great time had by all!

'Toxic stew' of chemicals causing male fish to carry eggs in testes

Intersex fish, found across the US, result from a mix of drugs that
mimic natural hormones, say scientists

* Suzanne Goldenberg, US environment correspondent
* guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 21 April 2010 11.05 BST

More than 80% of the male bass fish in Washington's major river are now
exhibiting female traits such as egg production because of a "toxic
stew" of pollutants, scientists and campaigners reported yesterday.

Intersex fish probably result from drugs, such as the contraceptive
pill, and other chemicals being flushed into the water and have been
found right across the US.

The Potomac Conservancy, which focuses on Washington DC's river, called
for new research to determine what was causing male smallmouth bass to
carry immature eggs in their testes. "We have not been able to identify
one particular chemical or one particular source," said Vicki Blazer, a
fish biologist with the US geological survey. "We are still trying to
get a handle on what chemicals are important."

But she said early evidence pointed to a mix of chemicals ? commonly
used at home as well as those used in large-scale farming operations ?
causing the deformities. The suspect chemicals mimic natural hormones
and disrupt the endocrine system, with young fish being particularly
susceptible.

The chemicals could include birth control pills and other drugs,
toiletries especially those with fragrances, products such as tissues
treated with antibacterial agents, or goods treated with flame
retardants that find their way into waste water. However, Blazer also
pointed to runoff from fertilisers and pesticides from agricultural areas.

About 5 million people live in the greater Washington area, and 90% of
them get their drinking water from the Potomac.

"We need to get these toxins out of our river water," said Hedrick
Belin, the president of the Potomac Conservancy. The campaign group
called for $3m (£1.9m) in research over three years on endocrine
disrupters on their effects on fish. It also called on the authorities
to involve pharmaceutical companies in the safe disposal of drugs, and
to invest in technology that can filter out endocrine disrupting compounds.

- - -

Well, that explains why herring is such a girlie girl...he swims in a
river of ****, and takes his grandchildren to swim there, too. Health
problems in their future?

Man, spoofer, you must have been raised wearing a hazmat suit. Did your
parents ever let you out of the house?

--

John H

John, I told you that a tube would be a big hit. Now they're hooked!

They really are. My daughter is going to send me a schedule of all her free days
between now and when school starts. I didn't ask for it, she offered it!
--

John H
Tim Tim is offline

On Aug 2, 12:38*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:40:01 -0400, Harry ?
wrote:

On 8/2/10 12:37 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:48:20 -0400, Harry *wrote:

More than 80% of the male bass fish in Washington's major river are now
exhibiting female traits such as egg production because of a "toxic
stew" of pollutants, scientists and campaigners reported yesterday.

I thought that was a result of "Don't ask, don't tell" *;-)

Could be. I wouldn't swim or fish in that river. The bay isn't quite as
bad in many areas, but I still don't swim in it.

The problem with the bay is sea nettles. About the time the water gets
warm enough to get in, the sea nettles arrive. We used to joke that
you could see them from the road on that last hill before you drop in
on Chesapeake Beach.

What's a "sea nettle?"

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

Wow, looks like you all had a great time... Wish I could get my boat out
this season, haven't had time yet...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

~~ Snerk ~~
Have you built the boat yet?
Oh yeah... you couldn't unload that green monster, eh?

On 8/2/10 2:57 PM, YukonBound wrote:

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

Is that green from house paint...or from...mold?

"Harry " wrote in message
news : On 8/2/10 2:57 PM, YukonBound wrote:
:
:
: "I am Tosk" wrote in message
: ...
: In article ,
: says...
:
[...]
: --
: Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!
:
: ~~ Snerk ~~
: Have you built the boat yet?
: Oh yeah... you couldn't unload that green monster, eh?
:
:
: Is that green from house paint...or from...mold?

Poking fun at another man's boat . How low can you go, brother?

Caracas on the Potomac Frogwatch[_2_] General 55 March 29th 10 11:29 AM
Cruise up the Potomac No Name Cruising 1 December 1st 08 08:03 PM
Potomac Catfish Vic Smith General 32 August 15th 08 03:12 AM
What a blast Joe ASA 13 December 3rd 06 09:44 PM
What a Blast! Pony Express ASA 7 July 22nd 03 11:37 PM