Jim and Becky

Default OMC 225hp ob compression

An OMC mechanic recently came up with these psi figures on a pair of 1997
Johnson 225's, attached to the Blackfin 27 I'm looking at.
Pre-FICHT as I have learned from this NG.
Roughly 500 hrs on them. The test was done on a cold engine.

Port 110,110,109,109,105,105.
Star 115,115,105,105,109,103.

Are these figures OK?
What would they be if the engine were brand new and warm?
I know on an inboard the variance is more important than the numbers, to a
point.
Is the 10% rule in effect?

Scott Downey

Looks fine to me
How does it run?
Did OMC have a problen with these engines, I seem to recall complaints about
excessive wear and cases where the motors blew up.

"Jim and Becky" wrote in message
. ..
An OMC mechanic recently came up with these psi figures on a pair of 1997
Johnson 225's, attached to the Blackfin 27 I'm looking at.
Pre-FICHT as I have learned from this NG.
Roughly 500 hrs on them. The test was done on a cold engine.

Port 110,110,109,109,105,105.
Star 115,115,105,105,109,103.

Are these figures OK?
What would they be if the engine were brand new and warm?
I know on an inboard the variance is more important than the numbers, to a
point.
Is the 10% rule in effect?

Tony Thomas

That was the Evinrude Ficht. Johnson carb engine is the same design for
years. Compression is good. Should run great for a long time if you use
good oil (merc, yamaha, omc TCW3) and good gas.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com