Tim Tim is offline

Default So, while y'all are arguing

On Jul 14, 2:18*pm, John H wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:57:32 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:28*am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:39:22 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

I've been working on my 23' Marquis.

It was a slow day in the shop and I could almost tell it would be so I
took my ford 8N out to the machine shed and hooked up to the Marquis
and pulled it out front where I'd have easier accessibility to it, and
began to attack the wood rot right in front of the engine. There's a
cross piece that's heavily damaged, The plywood floor is OK, but this
cross piece is mush. The stringers are fine, so I got out the small
electric chain saw and went to work on the cross piece I was very
careful not to even nick the fiberglass hull. When I got the most of
it removed I chipped away the rest at the bottom with a wood chisel,
measured the distance between the stringers and cut out a nice piece
of salt-treated pine just wide enough to fit snug then angled the base
of it so it would fit the curve of the hull, cut a generous drain
notch into the board and with some angle iron, large washers and
carriage bolts I drilled through the stringers and pine board to
secure. Then I cut another board to fill just underneath the floor and
angle ironed it too. Tomorrow I'll flop the resin epoxy to the
stringers and necessary hardware.

I feel the bracing is pretty good and has increased the integrity of
the hull with the cross member repaired.

I felt that made a better day than doing little if anything in the
shop, or watching the feuding in here.....

?;^ )

Mine is on the trailer tonight too. I took Mr Ed for a run on his
private island and we yanked it out when we got back.
Tomorrow I am going after the engine and then I am doing an assessment
on the boat.
I would really like to find a set of top side rails cheap. I guess
Craigs list but the scrappers pretty much scoop up all of that sort of
thing.
I am really in survey mode at this point. The boat is 35 years old and
20 years on a major rebuild. One of these days it will be an Ex-Boat.

I took the boat back to storage this morning and then went to airport to
pick up daughter and granddaughters. Husband is on a business trip, so
she
flew up for a couple days. finished working on the boat. Had a whine on
the 4th weekend, that I thought was u-joints. They were fine, but the
Spicer spline coupler was frozen. In the process, figured the engine
needed
to be moved forward for a little better clearance at the coupler. so
build
new engine mounts and moved the engine forward 1.5" and a little lower
in
front. Was a conversion from Ford to Chevy a couple years ago. Probably
take it out for a shakedown cruise Thursday after grandkids go home.

looks like we might have rain settle in for all day, but that's
alright. The boat is in the dry. I pulled of the bow railing that got
damaged .and if slow again today,t his might be a good time to start
filling holes. and taking off some other junk, too!

Hey Tim, just out of curiosity what model is your marquis?
I found a model list at Iboats, some of the newer models are not the old
Marquis Boat Company of Hartsville
SChttp://www.iboats.com/Marquis/bp/20br1286

I foud a pic of one.

http://www.myautomarket.com/July%20A...cs/76Marquis92....

This is like mine w/exception that mine had a large loop bow railing
and no bimini

Nice boat,
Have you charted out your fuel stops coming down the Ohio? Golconda will be
your last chance before smithland lock and dam then paducah and I'm not sure
where you can buy fuel there dock side... theres a place below smithland on
the Il side called the sand bar thats a hang out and resturant I think, and
its close to Paducah KY, Ky fuel is always 20 cent cheaper than IL. *So let
me know if I can help with anything, marina fuel is high so if you want to I
could help get it @ the local gas station and save you some coin$- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Man!

I havent been able to find any specs on how large my fuel tank is, but
I'm thinking on adding one or at least two 12 gal.Mohler outboard
plastic tanks to the dive platform off the stern. It's braces well,
and the fuel tanks can be made very secure. About like a factory set
up instead of some jicky-jack deal with some die-downs.

I ahven't really been plotting a course ... yet. But thanks for the
help. I'll probably be asking in the future.

Sounds scary to me.
--

John H- Hide quoted text -

But John...bewsides my typing skills, what woudl be scary?

wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:28 am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Yeah but...Johnny is afraid of his own shadow.

In article ,
says...

wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:28 am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Spoofer alert! I wouldn't call anybody else scared, when my fat buddy
Harry hides in his basement all day!
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 14, 10:28*am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

But John...bewsides my typing skills, what woudl be scary?- Hide quoted text -

I mean,, what could possibly go wrong???

?;^ Q

"Tim" wrote in message

wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:28 am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

The down river part will be a breeze, coming back up river will put a little
pressure on things.
Do you have a kicker motor?

Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 15, 11:37*am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:28 am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Do you have a kicker motor?- Hide quoted text -

No, but I do have access to a pretty good sized Minn Kota troller
12/24 volt.

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 11:37 am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 15, 7:42 am, Tim wrote:

On Jul 14, 2:18 pm, John H wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:57:32 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:28 am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Thats what I use for a kicker but you won't get far, but surely you can make
the river bank in an emergency.
I always thought I would take the down river trip and then trailer home, of
course that takes some logistics but would be a real money saver and like I
said the real pressure is the upstream trip.

On Jul 14, 10:28*am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

The idea of having two containers of fuel hanging out on a diving platform. That
sounds scary.
--

John H
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 15, 12:45*pm, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 15, 11:37 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 15, 7:42 am, Tim wrote:

On Jul 14, 2:18 pm, John H wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:57:32 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:28 am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

said the real pressure is the upstream trip.- Hide quoted text -

True enough, but you still have to have someone drive your trailer to
your destination port.

This boat should't have any problem going up stream, though.

However, I have been strongly advised to get Sea Tow insurance as
well. No more than it really costs, it could be really handy if
necessary.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 15, 12:45*pm, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 15, 11:37 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 15, 7:42 am, Tim wrote:

On Jul 14, 2:18 pm, John H wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:57:32 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:28 am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 7:29 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 13, 1:17 am, "Califbill"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking the same thing. It won't take you far but at least you
can make it to land.