Default opencpn software

well i gotta say i'm dazzled by this software package. it's
excellent. the only disadvantage is that it skips to the next chart
when you'd like to read the chart datum blocks on the chart
edges...but there are other programs that allow you to bring up charts
to read that.

i plan to use this at our next CG aux meeting, and even at CG station
sandy hook when I'm there...neat stuff! beats the hell out of pulling
out charts, trying to figure out which chart covers which area, etc...

and it's a HELLUVA lot cheaper than paying $20/chart.

but a word of caution...you should ALWAYS have paper charts of your
local boating area...computers DO go dead!

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:30:24 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

well i gotta say i'm dazzled by this software package. it's
excellent. the only disadvantage is that it skips to the next chart
when you'd like to read the chart datum blocks on the chart
edges...but there are other programs that allow you to bring up charts
to read that.

i plan to use this at our next CG aux meeting, and even at CG station
sandy hook when I'm there...neat stuff! beats the hell out of pulling
out charts, trying to figure out which chart covers which area, etc...

and it's a HELLUVA lot cheaper than paying $20/chart.

but a word of caution...you should ALWAYS have paper charts of your
local boating area...computers DO go dead!

There are better charting software packages but not for free. OpenCPN
is the best of the freebies that I've seen. We rely almost
exclusively on electronic charting but have several different levels
of backup on board.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:51:31 -0400, Wayne B
wrote:

[...]

i gotta say i love it. now i have to get the NMEA cable for my
lowrance...