Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Drill here, drill now

As a Florida native, I have seen our beaches and estuaries destroyed
by the effects of tourism including the filling of marshes and
destruction of habitat by overbuilding. These natural areas WILL
NEVER RECOVER. On the other hand, I remember the Exxon Valdez oil
spill and only 3 years after the accident, almost all of the oil was
gone and by 7 years organisms in the bottom had mostly recovered. 20
years afterwards, all animals initially listed as being affected by
the spill had recovered according to NOAA. Remaining oil has
weathered so much that most volatiles are gone and it is mostly
tolerated by organisms according to NOAA.
This means that recovery from a major oil spill can happen over a 20
year period even when it happens in the far north. Here at 30 degree
latitude where the UV index is very high, the oil would degrade much
faster and recovery would be much faster. All you have to consider is
the occasional styrofoam cup you find that has been weathered for a
year, it is basically rotten and will be gone within a year.
Our beaches and estuaries will NEVER recover from the ravages of
tourism but would easily recover from even a major oil spill.

David OHara

Drill Baby Drill!!! HK General 10 September 12th 08 06:19 PM
How to Drill Out a Broken Bolt? [email protected] General 83 October 29th 06 04:56 PM
how to locate spots to drill RB General 0 February 22nd 06 08:26 PM
OT Talk to Bush? Here's the drill [email protected] General 1 October 14th 05 01:28 PM
24V Firestorm drill Horvath ASA 14 February 7th 04 06:51 PM