Default To iphone or not to iphone

I am being pressured by family, my co-workers and clients to get a
phone that will work in most places I go. While I do not think
anybody needs to be on call 24/7/365,I will have to do something to
placate people. However, the reality is that nothing but a satellite
phone will work in many places I go. Not many cell towers in the N.
FL swamps and none offshore.
However, the reality is that I despise cell audio quality so much that
I simply resist using them. I constantly feel like I am using a cheap
kids walkie talkie even when using a supposedly superior phone and
provider. the quality simply sucks. When some people call me on a
cell phone, I refuse to talk to them until they call back on a land
line. I suspect the real problem is an auditory processing problem in
my head because I also cannot understand audio at movies or tv
although my hearing tests fine for simple tones.
Most of the time, I truly hate talking on the phone to anybody and
even when my cell phone works, I probably do not use even 20 minutes
in 6 months. I think e-mail is a far better way to communicate as it
allows one to think about responses and re-read before sending but
maybe texting has something of that too. I have never tried texting
because I always thought of it as being a kids thing.
So, family says, "Get another cheap cell phone". Clients say, "Get an
iphone". All say, "at least be reachable most of the time". I
wonder, if a sat phone with texting would serve the purpose. I could
ask certain people to text me instead of talking to me sometimes.
Texting is of course cheaper on a sat phone than talking minutes.
Maybe I'll just get a cheap cell phone and keep it turned off when I
want to be alone. NOBODY is so important they need to always be in
touch and being in touch is actually detrimental to solving problems.
Thoughts?
hk hk is offline

On 5/3/10 12:54 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

With the right phone, when you boat starts to sink while you're on it in
the middle of the Gulf, you could phone home to say goodbye.

--
The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.

On May 3, 1:01*pm, hk wrote:

With the right phone, when you boat starts to sink while you're on it in
the middle of the Gulf, you could phone home to say goodbye.

--

What does "when you boat starts..." mean anyway, Mr. Professional
Writer?

"Loogypicker" wrote in message
On May 3, 1:01 pm, hk wrote:

With the right phone, when you boat starts to sink while you're on it in
the middle of the Gulf, you could phone home to say goodbye.

--

What does "when you boat starts..." mean anyway, Mr. Professional
Writer?

Go take another swig of your moonshine, Looney.
Everyone else knows what he meant.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

I was using my iPhone in France on my last trip. I got a call fairly late
and the vendor wanted to know if I could come into his office in a couple of
days. He didn't even have a clue I was in Europe. When I told him I couldn't
make it and why, he said it sounded like I was in the next building. I have
the 3G (not S). I can check email, share files, etc., without much hassle.

I text my niece all the time. She has an iTouch (no phone). It works
seamlessly.

If you don't like Apple products, the CrackBerry works well too I'm told.

"hk" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You can even tell them the long/lat. I believe google maps for the iphone
will do that also.

On May 3, 1:01 pm, hk wrote:

With the right phone, when you boat starts to sink while you're on it in
the middle of the Gulf, you could phone home to say goodbye.

--
What does "when you boat starts..." mean anyway, Mr. Professional
Writer?

Tsk... sounds like you're putting down Froggie's boat! Maybe hk was giving
him the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't already on the bottom!

On May 3, 1:01 pm, hk wrote:

With the right phone, when you boat starts to sink while you're on it in
the middle of the Gulf, you could phone home to say goodbye.

--

What does "when you boat starts..." mean anyway, Mr. Professional
Writer?

Go take another swig of your moonshine, Looney.
Everyone else knows what he meant.

Gee, that's odd, this from the king of pointing out typos. Your slack
jawed son woke up from his drunken stupor yet?
hk hk is offline

On 5/3/10 2:48 PM, nom=de=plume wrote:
wrote in message
m...
[...]

Great idea...S&R will know where to start looking!

--
The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.

On Mon, 3 May 2010 09:54:27 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

I am being pressured by family, my co-workers and clients to get a
phone that will work in most places I go. While I do not think
anybody needs to be on call 24/7/365,I will have to do something to
placate people. However, the reality is that nothing but a satellite
phone will work in many places I go. Not many cell towers in the N.
FL swamps and none offshore.

There is a boater named Jeff Siegel, creator of the "Active Captain"
web site, who has done a lot of research into different types of cell
phones. I recommend that you read his discussion:

http://www.activecaptain.com/article...ones/intro.php

That said, nothing works offshore or in the boondocks except a
satphone. By all reports that I've heard, Iridium is the best
although not the cheapest. Take a look on EBAY for good pricing. You
also need to get the "data package" which is relatively inexpensive if
you want to use the Iridium phone for internet access. External
antennas are highly recommended by most.

In the Bahamas there is a much cheaper option. Buy an unlocked GSM
phone for about $50 before you go. There is no need to activate it in
the US. When you get to the Bahamas look for the closest cell tower
and find the Batelco office underneath it. You can buy a Batelco SIM
card for $13, and that gives you a Bahamian telephone number. They
will usually install the card for you right on the spot at no charge.
You can buy minutes as needed from Batelco offices anywhere.

AIS iPhone App for ProMariners: gTrax gCaptain.com Cruising 3 January 8th 10 07:40 PM
Boating iphone apps Frogwatch General 18 November 30th 09 08:55 PM
AIS iPhone App... Bob Cruising 2 November 16th 09 04:10 AM
Got an iPhone? AIS in your pocket! Larry Electronics 2 June 30th 09 06:03 AM