posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Tired of the ICW

"Larry" wrote in message
news
nom=de=plume wrote:
wrote in message

Don White wrote:

wrote in message

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Wouldn't the charts point this out?
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...estongyre.html

He would need real-time information. That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Umm... why? Did sailors of earlier times need real-time information to
make
such a trip? Sure, it'd be nice, but I doubt it's a matter of need.

You are shopping for a tiny sailboat? You should realize your aren't
qualified to comment on every post you read.

You're claiming what I said was inaccurate??? In fact, I asked a question
and instead of actually addressing it, you chose to try (lamely) to put me
down. I suspect you're not qualified to comment on EVERY post you read
either. I know I'm not, certainly.

--
Nom=de=Plume

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:01:25 -0400, Larry wrote:

So why did you suggest that a chart would point out real-time data?

You don't really need real time Gulf Stream data off the coast of
Florida unless you are doing precision survey work of some sort. The
color of the water and your GPS course-made-good versus compass
heading really gives you everything you need to know.

The guys who need good up-to-date data are those crossing the stream
further north on the way to Bermuda. By then large eddies and
meanders have begun to develop and small errors in strategy can lead
to huge differences in speed-over-ground.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Larry" wrote in message
news
Don White wrote:
wrote in message

Don White wrote:

wrote in message

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Wouldn't the charts point this out?
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...estongyre.html

He would need real-time information. That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Duh, no kidding!

So why did you suggest that a chart would point out real-time data?

Duh! I didn't.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

nom=de=plume wrote:
wrote in message
news
nom=de=plume wrote:

wrote in message

Don White wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

You made an assertion about the need for real-time information. Unlike
you, I don't comment if I don't have something to add. I quietly learn
from the on-topic posts. I'm not compelled to ask dumb question and
make uniformed assertions for every post I read.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Don White wrote:
wrote in message
news
Don White wrote:

wrote in message

Don White wrote:

wrote in message

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Wouldn't the charts point this out?
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...estongyre.html

He would need real-time information. That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Duh, no kidding!

So why did you suggest that a chart would point out real-time data?

Duh! I didn't.

He was looking for real-time data and you posted a historical snapshot
and called it a chart. Duh!

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:
wrote in message
news
nom=de=plume wrote:

wrote in message

Don White wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

What? Where did I make an assertion about the need for it. I said, "Did
sailors of earlier times need real-time information to make such a trip?
Sure, it'd be nice, but I doubt it's a matter of need." It seems like a
reasonable question. Do you dispute that? Did sailors of old _need_ this
information? Did Columbus? Did Magellen? You haven't added anything, and
you're attempted put down was what's dumb.

--
Nom=de=Plume

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Larry" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
wrote in message
news
Don White wrote:

wrote in message

Don White wrote:

wrote in message

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Wouldn't the charts point this out?
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...estongyre.html

He would need real-time information. That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Duh, no kidding!

So why did you suggest that a chart would point out real-time data?

Duh! I didn't.

He was looking for real-time data and you posted a historical snapshot and
called it a chart. Duh!

You related to Looney?
Well, you're from Floriduh...close enough.
I didn't call the address I posted...a "chart". That was simply an addition
to give Froggy an idea how close the Gulf Stream comes to the Atlantic coast
of Florida.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 17:41:04 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:37:46 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 19:12:53 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

You can minimize the current by staying right along the beach in 20 to
30 ft of water but you will still have half a knot or so against you
in many places.

This is due to the smaller volume of water (shallow vs. deep)? Or is
something else going on?

It's a combination of being as far away from the center axis of the
stream as possible, combined with the friction/constriction of shallow
water along the shore.

Usually there is a counter current on the sides of any really strong
current like the Gulf Stream.

After the first year, we always went from Ft. Pierce to Miami outside.
Had no problem with the Gulf Stream as we stayed closer to shore than
that. We set the instruments to show us the water temperature and if
it got warmer, we went west until it was cooler again. We do have a
larger boat than you do but maybe not much faster.

I always resisted going from Lake Worth - I know people do it but it
seemed counter-intuitive to me- we tried to get down at least as far
as Rodriguez Key when going to Bimini and even then we couldn't make
any progress against the Gulf Stream.

Even the first time, we never went with anyone else. It never worked
out and it isn't necessary.
S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
On Apr 8, 6:34 pm, "Don White" wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message

Don White wrote:
wrote in message
news

Don White wrote:

wrote in message
news:kdqdnUIPUq3LRibWnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@giganews .com...

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...round/geology/...

He would need real-time information. That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Duh, no kidding!

So why did you suggest that a chart would point out real-time data?

Duh! I didn't.

He was looking for real-time data and you posted a historical snapshot
and
called it a chart. Duh!

You related to Looney?
Well, you're from Floriduh...close enough.
I didn't call the address I posted...a "chart". That was simply an
addition
to give Froggy an idea how close the Gulf Stream comes to the Atlantic
coast
of Florida.

It was interesting and after you posted it I did check o see how close
it comes to the coast............very close.

Thanks...that DitzyDan is just trying to stir up crap...as usual.

On 5/2/2010 10:08 PM, YukonBound wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

it comes to the coast............very close.

Thanks...that DitzyDan is just trying to stir up crap...as usual.

What is it you think you are doing, Dumb Donnie?

Are you white and tired? HK General 3 June 7th 09 12:35 PM
Too Tired to Sail Capt. Rob ASA 0 July 15th 07 03:45 PM
Tired Old 4 Cyl crystalguy General 7 September 11th 06 12:43 PM
Tired of sailing G&G ASA 22 February 6th 06 10:53 PM
I'm getting tired Jim, General 2 February 27th 05 05:15 AM