posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Tired of the ICW

"Larry" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
wrote in message

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Wouldn't the charts point this out?
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...estongyre.html

He would need real-time information. That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Umm... why? Did sailors of earlier times need real-time information to make
such a trip? Sure, it'd be nice, but I doubt it's a matter of need.

--
Nom=de=Plume

On Apr 6, 6:22*pm, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...round/geology/....

He would need real-time information. *That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Umm... why? Did sailors of earlier times need real-time information to make
such a trip? Sure, it'd be nice, but I doubt it's a matter of need.

--
Nom=de=Plume

A. I am a chicken fair weather sailor (really)
B. 5 kts is slow and I want to get there.
C. Knowing stuff keeps bad stuf from happening.
D. Did I mention I am chicken?

True, that was not a chart and so far it has been useless.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Jim Jim is offline

"Larry" wrote in message

Don White wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

When you get to the jump-off point, be sure to form up with others for
the crossing. You'll do fine.

Jim

"Larry" wrote in message

Don White wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

While I enjoyed your list and certainly agree about erring on the side of
caution, I was really responding to the nonsensical notion of "needing" real
time information beyond simple observation.
--
Nom=de=Plume

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
mmc mmc is offline

"Larry" wrote in message

Don White wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

---------
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11460.shtml
not as good as the paper kind

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:50:31 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

Center axis or mid-point (both vertically and horizontally would be an
issue), so the axis must be in the center of the channel.

There is no channel, the Gulf Stream is free running although it
favors the deeper water off the continental shelf. Center axis and
mid-point have approximately the same meaning applied to the stream;
it is basically the region of strongest current flow and it varies
over time as the stream meanders. The farther you get from the center
axis/mid-point, the weaker the current. The eastern edge of the
stream is constrained by the Bahamas Banks, approximately 40 miles
from the center axis, the western edge of the stream is constrained by
the Florida shore which at times is only 6 to 8 miles off axis.

wrote:

Center axis or mid-point (both vertically and horizontally would be an
issue), so the axis must be in the center of the channel.

There is no channel, the Gulf Stream is free running although it
favors the deeper water off the continental shelf. Center axis and
mid-point have approximately the same meaning applied to the stream;
it is basically the region of strongest current flow and it varies
over time as the stream meanders. The farther you get from the center
axis/mid-point, the weaker the current. The eastern edge of the
stream is constrained by the Bahamas Banks, approximately 40 miles
from the center axis, the western edge of the stream is constrained by
the Florida shore which at times is only 6 to 8 miles off axis.

Interesting... learned something new about the GS. Thanks!

--
Nom=de=Plume

nom=de=plume wrote:
wrote in message

Don White wrote:

wrote in message

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Wouldn't the charts point this out?
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...estongyre.html

He would need real-time information. That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Umm... why? Did sailors of earlier times need real-time information to make
such a trip? Sure, it'd be nice, but I doubt it's a matter of need.

You are shopping for a tiny sailboat? You should realize your aren't
qualified to comment on every post you read.

Don White wrote:
wrote in message

Don White wrote:

wrote in message

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Wouldn't the charts point this out?
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...estongyre.html

He would need real-time information. That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Duh, no kidding!

So why did you suggest that a chart would point out real-time data?

Are you white and tired? HK General 3 June 7th 09 12:35 PM
Too Tired to Sail Capt. Rob ASA 0 July 15th 07 03:45 PM
Tired Old 4 Cyl crystalguy General 7 September 11th 06 12:43 PM
Tired of sailing G&G ASA 22 February 6th 06 10:53 PM
I'm getting tired Jim, General 2 February 27th 05 05:15 AM