hk hk is offline

Default Tired of the ICW

On 4/6/10 1:03 PM, Loogypicker wrote:

Gee, let's see, I have a very successful career, so much so that,
unlike you I don't have to lie about every aspect of it. My wife is
successful as well, so I don't have to lie about HER accomplishments
like you do your wife's. My daughter is a straight A student, and is
gifted, so much so that we have to choose which accelerated and gifted
programs to put her in, as her advisors want her to do them all. My
son is an AB student, and I suspect that when he gets out of grade
school, he'll find what he really likes and will do well. Oh, and if
you don't believe me, there are several here that know about me, my
wife, and my kids and of our accomplishments. Now, go make up some
more lies about your life and your wife.

Sorry, Loogy, but I don't believe any of the claims you make about
yourself. You can't keep your travel intentions straight from one post
to another on the same day, your understanding of the world is really
warped, you suffer from perseveration problems, you are inarticulate,
and according to the reports I've seen, you drool. Add that to your
rating as the second-dumbest poster in rec.boats, and I doubt you are
even the best STOP-GO sign holder on the road repaving site.

You're just a dumb**** and will always be one.

And...you have a short fuse.

--
http://tinyurl.com/ykxp2ym
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 19:12:53 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

You can minimize the current by staying right along the beach in 20 to
30 ft of water but you will still have half a knot or so against you
in many places.

This is due to the smaller volume of water (shallow vs. deep)? Or is
something else going on?

--
Nom=de=Plume

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 5, 10:59*pm, Tim wrote:
On Apr 5, 9:31*pm, "Don White" wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. *However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. *If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Wouldn't the charts point this out?http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...round/geology/...

Thanks for posting that, Don.

That's really interesting.

I always wondered what the 'bump' was....

Cool there's technology for this kind of stuff.

On Apr 6, 1:08*pm, hk wrote:
[...]

Sure I can, but, unlike you, I'm able to change. And you still must
make up lies about you and your wife. I don't.

your understanding of the world is really
warped,

How so?

you suffer from perseveration problems,

No, sorry
you are inarticulate,

No sorry.
and according to the reports I've seen, you drool.

And that's another lie. But then again, you never tell the truth about
anything.
Add that to your
rating as the second-dumbest poster in rec.boats, and I doubt you are
even the best STOP-GO sign holder on the road repaving site.

Yeah, sure. Hey, when you tell yourself enough lies, do you actually
begin to believe them?

You're just a dumb**** and will always be one.

But MUCH smarter than you. Again, I don't have to make up lies about
my education, right Mr. Yale degree?

And...you have a short fuse.

No, I just don't take crap from low life scum like you.

Loogypicker wrote:
On Apr 6, 1:08 pm, hk wrote:
[...]

Show a little respect Loogie. Krause will soon have Dr. in front of his
name. "Dr. and Mr. Karen Grear"

Frogwatch wrote:
My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Sometimes you just must go with the flow. First you probably don't want to
mess with Saint Lucie Inlet unless you have local help or guidance of some
sort. Also there is little benefit running north in a slow sailboat to Fort
Pierce, which is a fine inlet, but, well, the opposite direction from where
you would like to go. Whatever happens you don't want to go against the
Stream for any period of time. It's just silly. Try what Wayne suggested.
Bite the bullet and "drive" south to West Palm or Lauderdale, and then shoot
over to Bimini. It's an easy hop and you should make it in one day, but if
not you can anchor safely on the Banks in reasonable weather if necessary.
The Berries are easy from Bimini.

When you begin to notice that everyone else does it this way, you will be
happy you did also.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:37:46 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

You can minimize the current by staying right along the beach in 20 to
30 ft of water but you will still have half a knot or so against you
in many places.

This is due to the smaller volume of water (shallow vs. deep)? Or is
something else going on?

It's a combination of being as far away from the center axis of the
stream as possible, combined with the friction/constriction of shallow
water along the shore.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:37:46 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

You can minimize the current by staying right along the beach in 20 to
30 ft of water but you will still have half a knot or so against you
in many places.

This is due to the smaller volume of water (shallow vs. deep)? Or is
something else going on?

It's a combination of being as far away from the center axis of the
stream as possible, combined with the friction/constriction of shallow
water along the shore.

Center axis or mid-point (both vertically and horizontally would be an
issue), so the axis must be in the center of the channel. But... the axis
would have to be offset proximal to the surface, since the seabed at center
channel would have less friction than the sea surface (air).

So, where the water is the most shallow, there is greater surface friction
on the seabed. I understand that. So with regard to the constriction
portion, it seems like that would be a back-eddy or countervailing current
to the main flow. Water isn't usually considered as compressible, so that
can't be it. It seems like the friction and the backflow are the key
factors. I wonder which one is more significant.

The factor that would lower the axis seems to depend on "sea state" (e.g.,
storm conditions), since would create more back-eddy (at the surface) and
perhaps significant waves would increase friction due to increase in
friction.

--
Nom=de=Plume

Frogwatch wrote:
My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

That would depend on where the Gulfstream is at the time. It moves and
changes.

Don White wrote:
wrote in message

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

Wouldn't the charts point this out?
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...estongyre.html

He would need real-time information. That wasn't a chart, BTW.

Are you white and tired? HK General 3 June 7th 09 12:35 PM
Too Tired to Sail Capt. Rob ASA 0 July 15th 07 03:45 PM
Tired Old 4 Cyl crystalguy General 7 September 11th 06 12:43 PM
Tired of sailing G&G ASA 22 February 6th 06 10:53 PM
I'm getting tired Jim, General 2 February 27th 05 05:15 AM