Tim Tim is offline

Default checking the hull's integrity...

OK, in my never ending quest for info, I thought I'd look at my big
boat's hull. i haven't' found any blisters, but the hull has had
something repaired on it in times past like to cover a gouge, or hard
nick's Nothing big, but some type of a tanish-colored 'epoxy repair'
which has been applied to a couple spots on the port side, which are
no bigger than anywhere from the size of your thumb print to no larger
than a "Kennedy half".

I've tapped around on the hull from about bow to stern and all sounds
solid with no dead thuds and nothing spongy. So I feel the integrity
of the fiberglass is in good shape.

I looked down the keel of the hull from the bow, and there have been
several nicks that though seem to be on the surface, I feel they need
to have some attention payed to them . I didn't see any sign of
fiberglass core showing through, however there were some nicks that
have gone deep enough to look like they've gone through the gell coat,
to the green underlying fiberglass resin.

I don't think that the boat has been abused, but sometimes hitting a
good stick can cause such nicks, but this looks like it's tapped
against some hard heavy rocks like what you might find lining a dock
runway.

I don't think that water has infiltrated the fiberglass or at least
nothing to cause blistering, but I am concerned a bit about it, that
it needs some repair.

One guy who likes to think with his mouth and not his mind looked at
the nicks and suggested that I dab some fingernail polish on it.

For pete's sake

I know there's lots of fiberglass repair products out there but seeing
I don't know much about it, I'd like somebody to recommend to me the
choicest products and repair procedures. I don't know much about it,
but am willing to try.

Thanks!

In article 3bdac6d6-268e-4b97-b87d-
, says...

[...]

From what I understand the boat should probably have been laminated up
with polyester resin. If indeed that is the case you can use either
polyester or Epoxy. I can pretty much walk you through most cosmetic
repairs on the phone if you want once you have established the hull
material.

Scotty

--
For a great time, go here first...
http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

On Mar 22, 6:26*pm, I am Tosk wrote:
[...]

From what I understand the boat should probably have been laminated up
with polyester resin. If indeed that is the case you can use either
polyester or Epoxy. I can pretty much walk you through most cosmetic
repairs on the phone if you want once you have established the hull
material.

Scotty

--
For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

Buy a quart of West or System 3 epoxy with the little hand pumps.
Also get the micro-balloons to thicken it. Smear it into the gouges,
allow to harden three days, sand till smooth. Coat with System 3
WR155 white primer.
Ignore any blisters, they are only cosmetic 99% of the time and
"fixing" them just makes things worse.
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 22, 9:26*pm, I am Tosk wrote:
[...]

From what I understand the boat should probably have been laminated up
with polyester resin. If indeed that is the case you can use either
polyester or Epoxy. I can pretty much walk you through most cosmetic
repairs on the phone if you want once you have established the hull
material.

Scotty

--
For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

Thanks Scott. I posted this on rec.boats. building too.

I need to get some pics of it and send to you. I think I may have
found a check crack too, but not sure yet.
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 22, 9:34*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

From what I understand the boat should probably have been laminated up
with polyester resin. If indeed that is the case you can use either
polyester or Epoxy. I can pretty much walk you through most cosmetic
repairs on the phone if you want once you have established the hull
material.

Scotty

--
For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

Buy a quart of West or System 3 epoxy with the little hand pumps.
Also get the micro-balloons to thicken it. *Smear it into the gouges,
allow to harden three days, sand till smooth. *Coat with System 3
WR155 white primer.
Ignore any blisters, they are only cosmetic 99% of the time and
"fixing" them just makes things worse.

Frog. Thanks for the product advice. I'll be investigating the
availability of that in my area.

Tim wrote:
[...]

From what I understand the boat should probably have been laminated up
with polyester resin. If indeed that is the case you can use either
polyester or Epoxy. I can pretty much walk you through most cosmetic
repairs on the phone if you want once you have established the hull
material.
Scotty
--
For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

Buy a quart of West or System 3 epoxy with the little hand pumps.
Also get the micro-balloons to thicken it. Smear it into the gouges,
allow to harden three days, sand till smooth. Coat with System 3
WR155 white primer.
Ignore any blisters, they are only cosmetic 99% of the time and
"fixing" them just makes things worse.

Frog. Thanks for the product advice. I'll be investigating the
availability of that in my area.

Also take a look at a product called Marine Tex. It's very easy to use,
is waterproof, tough as nails, sags very little, and can be smoothed to
a glossy finish before hardening. chips, gouges, or cracks in the gel
coat below the waterline Will cause leaks through the fiberglass if not
tended to.

W1TEF wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:09:36 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

I know there's lots of fiberglass repair products out there but seeing
I don't know much about it, I'd like somebody to recommend to me the
choicest products and repair procedures. I don't know much about it,
but am willing to try.

Marine Tex.

http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexepoxyputty.html

Used it on some nick and scrapes on the Halman I owned.

Works great, sets up quick in warm weather and creates a lasting
repair.

Sorry to be redundant but I made a recommendation before I saw your
post. Once he's tried it he'll always keep some on hand I'll bet.
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 22, 9:09*pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

Here was someone working on a 23' Uniflite, and you see the nicks in
the bow. Well, mine aren't as drastic as that big one, but I've got
some of them and this is the type of damage I'll be working on. when
the weather gets a bit sunny and warmer outside.

http://www.wcc.net/~jkmccoy/misst/fbrglss.htm
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 23, 9:41*pm, W1TEF wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:32:28 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Mar 22, 9:09 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

Now that's a classic boat.

Yeah, Classic. OMC stringer and all!

Tim wrote:
On Mar 22, 9:09 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

Those chips will be easy to repair with Marine Tex.

Checking in Ron Wilson Cruising 9 February 21st 09 07:48 AM
INTEGRITY CAN MAKE YOU EASY MONEY!! [email protected] General 10 February 5th 08 02:58 AM
Checking in.. [email protected] General 16 December 19th 07 01:24 AM
Just checking Tom G General 2 May 3rd 06 01:27 AM
Checking In Michael ASA 31 June 8th 04 11:29 PM