BoatBanter.com

-   -   20 to 30hp Johnson (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1129-20-30hp-johnson.html)

swedishconnection September 15th 03 10:14 AM

20 to 30hp Johnson

I have a Johnson 20hp,1990,Two-stroke.Just run 60 hours.
To pull waterskies with my Zodiac I need 10 more hp.
Does anyone know how complicated it is to "scare" the motor to 30 hp?
How is it done?
Grateful for any tip!
:)matts

Bill Kiene September 15th 03 05:28 PM

20 to 30hp Johnson

What is your Zodiac rated for max HP?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

noah September 16th 03 12:46 AM

20 to 30hp Johnson

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:14:53 GMT, "swedishconnection"
wrote:

I have a Johnson 20hp,1990,Two-stroke.Just run 60 hours.
To pull waterskies with my Zodiac I need 10 more hp.
Does anyone know how complicated it is to "scare" the motor to 30 hp?
How is it done?
Grateful for any tip!
:)matts

It may be done, but I would be reluctant to pull waterskiers with a
true Zodiac. The lack of a rigid hull or fixed keel could present a
steering (i.e. safety) issue. I wouldn't do it.

I have skied behind a 14hp when I was 10 (90lbs), and a 40hp when I
was 18 (150 lbs), but how much do your friends weigh? I wouldn't care
to try to ski behind a souped-up 20/30. Are you willing to sacrifice
your engine?
Try tubing, it's fun!

Regards,
noah

BORDEN1000 September 16th 03 03:02 AM

20 to 30hp Johnson

Greetings

Try getting your hands on wider skis...the more surface area the less hp needed
to get up.

I have gotten up on a slalom ski behind a john boat w/ a 20 hp, but I weighed
140 and it took a while....

bl

swedishconnection September 16th 03 09:55 AM

20 to 30hp Johnson

Have a look at Zodiacs homepage - and good luck tubing!
http://www.zodiacmarine.com/img/prod/gz7a.jpg
:)matts

swedishconnection September 16th 03 10:11 AM

20 to 30hp Johnson

Anyone knows anything about tuning a Johnson 20hp,1990,Two-stroke to 30hp??
I do gladly accept any advice on that!
:)matts

Tony Thomas September 16th 03 06:33 PM

20 to 30hp Johnson

Not sure on that year. I know the carbs are different. The exhaust tuner
may be different along w/ the ports.
Start w/ the carb and go from there. Should get you some power anyway.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com