Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default OT, But With Boats: Some Might Enjoy This

I don't rightly know how I found it.
Think I was reading about Sherman's march through S.C, and it was a
link in one of the articles.
But I read the whole piece, as I couldn't get away from it.
It's a pretty short autobiography - maybe 2-3 hours to read fully - of
Joseph Le Conte, a U of C Berkeley geology professor, and co-founder
of the Sierra Club.
But his life covers a sweep of American history 1823-1901 that is
surely as interesting to me as any other period.
He was raised a plantation owner in Liberty County, Georgia, slaves
and all. Though a "man of letters," some of his views about race
are pure 19th century, and even he would think differently today.
Despite that, he seems a fine man overall, and certainly was "right
there" as history unfolded.
Canoeing the swamps of Georgia and the Apostle Islands.
Camping where Duluth and Minneapolis didn't exist, but where they
would be. Birch bark stuff, with observations of the Indians.
Running and hiding from Yankee cavalry as Columbia burned, and for
weeks thereafter as he sought to ensure his sister's safety, as she
was still on the Georgia plantation.
Steamboating down to the Straits of Florida and Key West in 1850
doing Harvard field work with Louis Agassiz.
Another name I'd never heard of. Maybe because I'm not well enough
read, or maybe because I'm not a geologist.
Key west was mostly populated by wreckers.
Lot of accounts of Georgia terrain, like Tallulah Falls and such.
Anyway, some here might find it as interesting as I did.
He has an easy way of writing, making for an easy read.

http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/leconte/...e.html#lcon204

--Vic