Jim Jim is offline

Default Interesting last night, with the Tsunami and all . . .

At 9 pm, the Harbor Patrol cruised the marina, lights flashing,
announcing "Evacuate the marina immediately! Head for higher ground!"

I flagged the guy over and asked where their information was coming
from, and the NOAA Tsunami Warning web site:
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/?region=1 showed the warnings and watches
were canceled hours ago.

"We were told us to do this."

Several people left, others headed out to sea, there was a lot of
panicking. It looked like a bad Japanese horror movie, with people
running around. TV news went to the pier and filmed restaurants
clearing out, people running up the hill.

I asked a tug operator pulling in if he had any news, he said they would
be heading out if there were a warning, but there wasn't one.

I listened to the UHF weather which reported many threats, "High winds
in the desert," "Wind warnings in the outer channel," and a chance of
flooding because there might be a surge from the Tsunami. It came
across like the warnings we get all the time, "Don't use this hair dryer
in the bathtub."

Where are these guys getting their information? Not from the NOAA site,
I think they were just making it up, to test the system, or be "Safe,
instead of sorry."

A sad commentary on the future. There's no truth, don't look to the
scientists, go with your feelings. Facts don't matter. Make it up,
keep people scared.

We used to have a local politician who said the Harbor Patrol did
nothing useful and should be disbanded. After last night's panic attack
I agree we would have been better off if they weren't there.

I wonder what will happen if and when there's a REAL emergency.

"Jim" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Not sure where you're located but it was on ABC news also.

--
Nom=de=Plume

A visit with an interesting guy who builds an interesting boat.... [email protected] General 8 June 16th 06 04:46 AM
OT--Another tsunami? NOYB General 1 March 28th 05 06:50 PM
tsunami recovery Brian Combs Boat Building 2 February 8th 05 02:44 AM
tsunami photos G&G ASA 2 January 29th 05 01:01 AM
Tsunami Animations Gary General 1 December 31st 04 12:29 AM