Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Well, at least he isn't from South Carolina

Cracker Barrel Beating May Be Hate Crime

2009
MORROW, Ga. -- The FBI is investigating the beating of an
African-American woman by a white man at a Cracker Barrel restaurant as
a possible hate crime.

Morrow police said they arrested Troy Dale West, of Poulan, Ga. after he
attacked Tasha Hill after she asked him to "be careful" at a Cracker
Barrel restaurant.

Morrow police were called to the Cracker Barrel restaurant on Southlake
Plaza Drive in Morrow Sept. 9 at 7:30 p.m.

Upon arrival, officers said they located the female victim and called
for EMTs and Fire Department officials to assist. At the same time, the
alleged offender in the case, Troy West, was detained at the scene,
police said.

Police said an investigation revealed that the female victim, identified
as Tasha Hill, was entering the Cracker Barrel with her 7-year-old
daughter as West was leaving the restaurant. As West was leaving, the
exit door came close to striking the 7-year-old daughter of the victim,
police said. Hill, by all witness accounts, politely asked West to be
careful, officials said.

"The man slung open the door pretty hard and fast and I had to push my
daughter out of the way. I turned to the man and I just said, 'Excuse me
sir, you need to watch yourself you almost hit my daughter in the face.'
And from there it just went downhill," said Hill.

At that point, West became enraged and began to beat the victim in front
of her 7-year-old daughter, according to police. Hill said she told West
she was an Army servicemember and she did not want any trouble.

West threw her to the ground and hit her in the head with his fists and
feet, police said. During the exchange, witnesses said West could be
heard screaming racial slurs at the victim.

"Then he punched me in my face," said Hill. "And I fell to the ground
and he proceeded to punch in my head and face."

Many witnesses stepped up to assist police in the investigation by
providing written statements as to the events that transpired. Cracker
Barrel was also helpful to police in this investigation, Morrow police said.

This case has been referred to the FBI Civil Rights Division for a
possible violation of Federal Hate Crime Laws.

Once officers obtained witness statements on the scene and looked at
video surveillance from the Cracker Barrel, West was arrested and
charged with battery, disorderly conduct, and cruelty to children in the
first degree.

West has bonded out of jail.

- - -

The defendant, no doubt, is *not* an Obama supporter.

--
Birther-Deather-Tenther-Teabagger:
Idiots All