SeaDweller

Default Sea Ray 240 Sundeck Vs Chaparral 243 Sunesta

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:51:41 -0400, "jeffvh" wrote:

All,

After lots of looking, I've narrowed it down to one of these. Money is
virtually the same for comparable equipment (each has the 300HP Bravo II
engine). I'm leaning to the Chaparral because I just like the astetics a
little better. Both dealers have good reputations. Anyone have strong
feelings either way? Am I missing something?

Jeff

Check the quality of vinyl used by both manufacturers, as they both
have lots of it, and it's expensive to replace down the road. Also,
check to see how much plywood is used in the interior construction.

Check their dry weight, as this can sometimes, and I repeat sometimes,
give clues as to the overall construction quality. It can also limit
you if you intend to trailer it.

Check the fuel and water capacity. Is it enough for your intended
use?

Take both out on the water to see how they perform, if possible in
similar conditions to see how they handle the water.

Do both have a fiberglass liner? Which has features you feel you'll
use the most? Remember, aesthetics are only skin deep.

Whenever I buy a boat, I always try and look at a 3 or 4 year old
model to see how it's held up. Even the most poorly build boat looks
gorgeous on the showroom floor, but the workmanship and quality of
materials can be easily uncovered by the test of time.