JR North

Default what are flappers

The flappers in my MaXum don't have rubber seals. They are a
close fit in the pipe, but don't touch the walls. Sounds
like poor design...
JR

Richard Malcolm wrote:

before I went on a several week vacation on my boat,(1993 245vista
four winns, I/O)it started making this noise.the noise was metalic and
sounded to a novice like me that it was comming from the engine or
behind it. I took it to my mechanic afraid I had blown the engine or
something and he said it was the flappers, some rubber had worn away,
and not to worry.
ok, so I trust him as he did not try to fix something that didn't need
fixing, but I am not really sure what the flappers do. is this
something that I should get fixed sometime, is it something that I can
do? any info would be great
thanks

Keith

If those are the flappers outside covering the exhaust outlet, they're
supposed to close momentarily when a following sea hits you, to keep the
water from running up your exhaust. If the noise bothers you, replace them.

--

Keith
__
"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
before I went on a several week vacation on my boat,(1993 245vista
four winns, I/O)it started making this noise.the noise was metalic and
sounded to a novice like me that it was comming from the engine or
behind it. I took it to my mechanic afraid I had blown the engine or
something and he said it was the flappers, some rubber had worn away,
and not to worry.
ok, so I trust him as he did not try to fix something that didn't need
fixing, but I am not really sure what the flappers do. is this
something that I should get fixed sometime, is it something that I can
do? any info would be great
thanks

Richard Malcolm

They prevent water rushing up your exhaust and into the engine. Depending
on the type, replacing them usually is a pretty simple task unless you have
to replace the whole assembly, including the exhaust pipe. That involves
removing and replacing the portion of the exhaust pipe that goes through the
transom.

jps

my boat has an OMC (Ford) King Cobra I/O 351(?) Does that help
anyone to know if it is a simple job. Should I have this done when I
take the boat out for the season?
thanks
Gary Warner

Rich,

I only know a *little* about this. On my boat the flapper is just
a rubber part. The exhaust pipe sticks out the back of the transom
by about an inch or so. The flapper just goes over that part of the
exhaust pipe (on the outside) and is held on with a simple clamp.

If yours are setup that way, it would be pretty easy to change. Maybe
a little harder for you than for me since your swim platform it probably
over the exhaust pipes. But very easy to do it was out of the water.

Now, from what I read here, it sounds like some models have the
flapper in the pipe (not attached outside). Then you'ld be into
taking part of the exhaust pipe apart.

Can you see the exhaust pipes coming out of the transom outside?
Do they have rubber flappers over them?

Gary

RG

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

Rich,

I only know a *little* about this. On my boat the flapper is just
a rubber part. The exhaust pipe sticks out the back of the transom
by about an inch or so. The flapper just goes over that part of the
exhaust pipe (on the outside) and is held on with a simple clamp.

If yours are setup that way, it would be pretty easy to change. Maybe
a little harder for you than for me since your swim platform it probably
over the exhaust pipes. But very easy to do it was out of the water.

Now, from what I read here, it sounds like some models have the
flapper in the pipe (not attached outside). Then you'ld be into
taking part of the exhaust pipe apart.

Can you see the exhaust pipes coming out of the transom outside?
Do they have rubber flappers over them?

The original poster mentioned that his boat was a 1993 Four Winns 245 Vista
I/O. Do you actually believe that boat would have through-hull exhaust?

Paul

The original poster mentioned that his boat was a 1993 Four Winns 245

Vista
I/O. Do you actually believe that boat would have through-hull exhaust?

Hehe, you totally cracked me up. You're crapping on the poor guy for making
a mistake but at the same time pulling a nice newbie move yourself by
quoting his *entire* post, forcing us to download and scroll through all
that quoted crap, just to get to your helpful two-line response.

Ahh, sweet irony.

jps

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
They prevent water rushing up your exhaust and into the engine.

Depending
on the type, replacing them usually is a pretty simple task unless you

have
to replace the whole assembly, including the exhaust pipe. That

involves
removing and replacing the portion of the exhaust pipe that goes through

the
transom.

jps

my boat has an OMC (Ford) King Cobra I/O 351(?) Does that help
anyone to know if it is a simple job. Should I have this done when I
take the boat out for the season?
thanks

That's a good question for your mechanic or someone who knows your
particular situation. Advising you without knowing the situation is dicey
business.

jps

"Paul" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

The original poster mentioned that his boat was a 1993 Four Winns 245

Vista
I/O. Do you actually believe that boat would have through-hull exhaust?

Hehe, you totally cracked me up. You're crapping on the poor guy for

making
a mistake but at the same time pulling a nice newbie move yourself by
quoting his *entire* post, forcing us to download and scroll through all
that quoted crap, just to get to your helpful two-line response.

Ahh, sweet irony.

Paul makes a good point that I missed. If you've got an I/O then you don't
have thru hull exhaust. That means the flappers are likely metal plates
that open to pass exhaust gasses out but close if water tries to enter.

Gary Warner

RG Wrote:
The original poster mentioned that his boat was a 1993 Four Winns 245

Vista
I/O. Do you actually believe that boat would have through-hull exhaust?

RG,

I said in my post that I didn't know much about it. Three summers ago I
used
a boat (split expenses with a guy) that was an I/O that had exhaust pipe go
through the transom. So, yes, I though that might be a possibility.
If I'm way off, so be it. I indicated I didn't know much about this.

So, do you have any helpful information for the poster?

Gary

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Richard,
your flapper doors are very necessary to preventing hydrolock of you
engine. I lost an engine to an incompetent mechanic that decided in his
infinite stupidity, that flappers were not necessary. It cost me a 7.4
engine and 2 weeks down time during the height of charter season.

Capt. Frank

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks