BORDEN1000

Default 15 hp johnson / rebuilt/won't start...

Greetings:

I'll keep this tale short.

I over heated my 15 hp johnson..impeller died. Cylinder wall reasonable /
honed both. New rings on the pistons, all new gaskets and it is back together.

Good compression, visible spark w/ plugs out, carb float set level when held
upside down. Timing is not adjustable so I don't think I messed that up.

Anyway, no starting or firing. I don't think I'm getting fuel, or...something
else that is more elusive. Any step by step advice to absolutly track this
prob down? This must be a simple issue. I need air and fuel in the right mix
and spark at the right time and wham-o....I am back on the water.

Thanks in advance.

BL

Ian Malcolm

noah wrote:

On 12 Sep 2003 01:28:29 GMT, (BORDEN1000) wrote:

Greetings:

I'll keep this tale short.

I over heated my 15 hp johnson..impeller died. Cylinder wall reasonable /
honed both. New rings on the pistons, all new gaskets and it is back together.

Good compression, visible spark w/ plugs out, carb float set level when held
upside down. Timing is not adjustable so I don't think I messed that up.

Anyway, no starting or firing. I don't think I'm getting fuel, or...something
else that is more elusive. Any step by step advice to absolutly track this
prob down? This must be a simple issue. I need air and fuel in the right mix
and spark at the right time and wham-o....I am back on the water.

Thanks in advance.

BL

Sounds like fuel...

Using "earmuffs", or other water source, pull the plugs. Squirt a
little *mixed* fuel into the cylinders, and put the plugs back. If
she fires, you've narrowed down the problem. )
Good luck,
noah

If you are getting 'wet' plugs then fuel is reaching the cylinders. If
its a points
ignition check the points gap as this affects the timing considerably. Got
the linkage from the magneto base plate to the throttle butterfly set up
right? (you have had the carb off after all) If you suspect fuel system
problems with an air leak or failed fuel pump, try a portable tank 1 or 2'
above the powerhead. Did you compare the new carb gasket with the old one
to check that all holes were present? (I dont remember if that cound be an
issue on a 15's carb)

Lastly, the one i've been bitten by,
IF IT COUGHED ONCE AND NOW IS AS DEAD AS A DODO, YOU PROBABLY FORGOT TO
TIGHTEN THE FLYWEEL NUT SUFFICIENTLY AND HAVE SHEARED THE WODRUFF KEY AND
SPUN THE FLYWHEEL ON THE CRANKSHAFT WHICH HAS TOTALLY STUFFED UP THE
TIMING.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot moulded
wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961

BORDEN1000

Sounds like fuel...

Using "earmuffs", or other water source, pull the plugs. Squirt a
little *mixed* fuel into the cylinders, and put the plugs back. If
she fires, you've narrowed down the problem. )
Good luck,
noah

Greetings: Squirted fuel and she is not firing.

If you are getting 'wet' plugs then fuel is reaching the cylinders.

I looked at the plugs before squirting into the cylinder and I didn't think
they were "wet" ...so I squirted fuel in.

If
its a points
ignition check the points gap as this affects the timing considerably. Got
the linkage from the magneto base plate to the throttle butterfly set up
right? (you have had the carb off after all)

Yup

If you suspect fuel system
problems with an air leak or failed fuel pump, try a portable tank 1 or 2'
above the powerhead.

I can hear the fuel run into the bowl when I squeeze the fuel line bulb so I
know I have a bowl full of fuel

Did you compare the new carb gasket with the old one
to check that all holes were present? (I dont remember if that cound be an
issue on a 15's carb)

Same gasket

Lastly, the one i've been bitten by,
IF IT COUGHED ONCE AND NOW IS AS DEAD AS A DODO, YOU PROBABLY FORGOT TO
TIGHTEN THE FLYWEEL NUT SUFFICIENTLY AND HAVE SHEARED THE WODRUFF KEY AND
SPUN THE FLYWHEEL ON THE CRANKSHAFT WHICH HAS TOTALLY STUFFED UP THE
TIMING.

I will take a look at the nut, but I think it is tight.

How can I confirm I connected all the ignition wires coming from the stator
plate to the coils correctly? I have been switching plugs wires back and
forth, but I'd like to know what is correct.

THanks

BL