Tim Tim is offline

Default whats up with planet Jupiter?

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/slides...sion-scar.html

looks like something knocked a hole in it...
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 25, 9:20*am, Tim wrote:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/slides...sion-scar.html

looks like something knocked a hole in it...

maybe the kid threw a tantrum...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6etwZzv4rQ0

"Tim" wrote in message
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/slides...sion-scar.html

looks like something knocked a hole in it...

SW was driving while texting.

Eisboch

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:25:44 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/slides...sion-scar.html

looks like something knocked a hole in it...

SW was driving while texting.

Hell no.

I was testing my super secret helium ion powered mass driver. I
didn't have it sighted in properly.

Jeeze - so I have a few bugs to work out - give me a break.

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:07:30 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock
wrote:

I was testing my super secret helium ion powered mass driver. I
didn't have it sighted in properly.

Jeeze - so I have a few bugs to work out - give me a break.

Don't point it at anyone unless you intend to shoot! You could
vaporize the entire state of Maryland with one little slip. :-)

wrote:

I was testing my super secret helium ion powered mass driver. I
didn't have it sighted in properly.

Jeeze - so I have a few bugs to work out - give me a break.

Don't point it at anyone unless you intend to shoot! You could
vaporize the entire state of Maryland with one little slip. :-)

Hmmm - never occurred to me until you just mentioned it. :)

wrote:
I was testing my super secret helium ion powered mass driver. *I
didn't have it sighted in properly.

Jeeze - so I have a few bugs to work out - give me a break.

Don't point it at anyone unless you intend to shoot! *You could
vaporize the entire state of Maryland with one little slip. * :-)

I always wondered if the earths moon protected earth from otherwise
getting its share of impacts. Consider, the center of mass of the
earth-moon system is actually 1000 miles closer to the surface due to
the moon thus effectively reducing the earths radius by 1000 miles (a
drop in x sectional area of about 25%). Some people mistake the ratio
of the solid angle subtended by the moon as seen from earth to the
solid angle of the sky (2*pi) as being the reduction leading to a very
small diff, however, this is incorrect. The effective drop in area of
earth seen by an incoming asteroid is the ratio of earths x sectional
area using the effective radius with the moon to the area without the
moon.
This drop of 25% might be just what civilization needs to allow enough
time to get going before we can stop such impacts. Thus, an earth
without a large moon might not allow a civilization to develop.
The reverse situation is not true. That is, a large primary body
(uninhabited) with a small earth sized body with animals on it would
be in a poor position to develop civilization. Consider the moons of
Jupiter. Jupiter draws the crap in and then a lot of it hits the poor
moons, they are pocked with craters in spite of constant rearangement
of their crusts (look at Europa).
I once tried to write a program to simulate this but I ran out of
time. Then I tried to get my kids to do it for a science fair
project, no interest. Older daughter is about to graduate from
college with degree in bio so maybe I can convince
her......unfortunately, she has no knowledge of programming or
interest in orbital mechanics (its just vectors).

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:02:35 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

On Jul 25, 11:21Â*am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:07:30 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock

wrote:
I was testing my super secret helium ion powered mass driver. Â*I
didn't have it sighted in properly.

Jeeze - so I have a few bugs to work out - give me a break.

Don't point it at anyone unless you intend to shoot! Â*You could
vaporize the entire state of Maryland with one little slip. Â* :-)

[...]

I thought most of those space rocks come bulleting through at +30k
mph. I suspect earth's gravitational pull has little effect on where
they hit. But I'm not a scientist, just a guesser.

--Vic

Tim wrote:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/slides...sion-scar.html

looks like something knocked a hole in it...

SW Tom in that eTEC powered copter...

--
A wise Latina makes better decisions than a dumb elephant.

wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:20:22 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/slides...sion-scar.html

looks like something knocked a hole in it...

Hey Jupiter, thanks for taking one for the team!

If one of these things gets by jupiter and hits us "global warming"
and the health care crisis will be the least of our worries.

Bruce Willis is rested and ready.

--
A wise Latina makes better decisions than a dumb elephant.

Moon Venus Jupiter Jim General 1 December 2nd 08 12:15 AM
Venus&Jupiter jim General 4 November 30th 08 08:06 AM
Whats under the sea. Calif Bill General 0 October 2nd 06 07:26 PM
Whats the best Joe ASA 12 January 5th 06 05:42 PM
Best places to paddle on Jupiter ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Hans-Marc Olsen Touring 0 November 20th 04 05:39 AM