HK HK is offline

Default On the treatment of women...

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/07/12

Published on Sunday, July 12, 2009 by The Sunday Observer/UK
The Words of God Do Not Justify Cruelty to Women
Discrimination and abuse wrongly backed by doctrine are damaging
society, argues the former US president

by Jimmy Carter

"Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this
Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex,
language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social
origin, property, birth or other status ..." (Article 2, Universal
Declaration of Human Rights)

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there
is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."
(Galatians 3:28)

I have been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible
teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to
me, as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around
the world.

So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention,
after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an
unavoidable decision when th e convention's leaders, quoting a few
carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second
to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must
be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as
deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service. This was in
conflict with my belief - confirmed in the holy scriptures - that we are
all equal in the eyes of God.

This view that women are somehow inferior to men is not restricted to
one religion or belief. It is widespread. Women are prevented from
playing a full and equal role in many faiths.

Nor, tragically, does its influence stop at the walls of the church,
mosque, synagogue or temple. This discrimination, unjustifiably
attributed to a Higher Authority, has provided a reason or excuse for
the deprivation of women's equal rights across the world for centuries.
The male interpretations of religious texts and the way they interact
with, and reinforce, traditional practices justify some of the most
pervasive, persistent, flagrant and damaging examples of human rights
abuses.

At their most repugnant, the belief that women must be subjugated to the
wishes of men excuses slavery, violence, forced prostitution, genital
mutilation and national laws that omit rape as a crime. But it also
costs many millions of girls and women control over their own bodies and
lives, and continues to deny them fair access to education, health,
employment and influence within their own communities.
HK HK is offline

Gene wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:57:09 -0400, HK wrote:

[...]

The problem is that whatever your position is on whatever subject, you
can quote Biblical scripture, believed to be infallible, to "prove"
your point.

Hence, oxymoronic mumblespeak such as this:
" "While both men and women are gifted for service in the church, the
office of pastor is limited to men as qualified by Scripture." The
passages that restrict the office of pastor to men do not negate the
essential equality of men and women before God, but rather focus on
the assignment of roles."
http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/faqs.asp#9

It is a POV issue and the majority usually rules. Jimmy loses....

And will until women grab their rights and hold onto them. Most of this
is the result of thousands of years of men trying to control women.

"HK" wrote in message
m...

And will until women grab their rights and hold onto them. Most of this is
the result of thousands of years of men trying to control women.

Now we are into the "Best of Harry" re-runs.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
m...

And will until women grab their rights and hold onto them. Most of
this is the result of thousands of years of men trying to control women.

Now we are into the "Best of Harry" re-runs.

Eisboch

"The best of Harry"? I don't know if I can wrap my mind around that one.

Check your email
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
m...

And will until women grab their rights and hold onto them. Most of
this is the result of thousands of years of men trying to control women.

Now we are into the "Best of Harry" re-runs.

Eisboch

Sort of like used guitars, eh?

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
m...

And will until women grab their rights and hold onto them. Most of this
is the result of thousands of years of men trying to control women.

Now we are into the "Best of Harry" re-runs.

Eisboch

Sort of like used guitars, eh?

Some "used" guitars are pretty interesting and valuable I am finding out.
Crazy what some people will pay for a certain "sound".

One of my latest acquisitions is a Gibson RB250 banjo. What a blast.
I am not much of a finger plucker or a frailer, so I play it ukulele style,
which still sounds pretty good.

The RB250 is pretty much the "workhorse" banjo in the professional player's
circle.

Sorry. Not a big demand for wide , flat fingerboard classicals though.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
m...
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
m...

And will until women grab their rights and hold onto them. Most of this
is the result of thousands of years of men trying to control women.

Now we are into the "Best of Harry" re-runs.

Eisboch

Sort of like used guitars, eh?

Some "used" guitars are pretty interesting and valuable I am finding out.
Crazy what some people will pay for a certain "sound".

One of my latest acquisitions is a Gibson RB250 banjo. What a blast.
I am not much of a finger plucker or a frailer, so I play it ukulele style,
which still sounds pretty good.

The RB250 is pretty much the "workhorse" banjo in the professional player's
circle.

Sorry. Not a big demand for wide , flat fingerboard classicals though.

Eisboch

You and Bela Fleck, eh? Do you tie the resonator on your head with the
drone string you don't use? It keeps loose cosmic rays from entering
your brain.

Keep your eyes open for an original White Ladye, although there's
nothing wrong with the Gold Tone copies, eh?

"HK" wrote in message

You and Bela Fleck, eh? Do you tie the resonator on your head with the
drone string you don't use? It keeps loose cosmic rays from entering your
brain.

Keep your eyes open for an original White Ladye, although there's nothing
wrong with the Gold Tone copies, eh?

Nope. RB250 isn't an open back. Heavy too. Here we go....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgUBo...eature=channel

Eisboch

On Jul 12, 6:31*pm, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
om...
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
news:6bGdncPUZangt8fXnZ2dnUVZ_uVi4p2d@earthlink .com...

[...]

nothing wrong with the Gold Tone copies, eh?- Hide quoted text -

Isn't it cute how I Google up interesting little tidbits to make
myself
look really smart and sophisticated?

HK wrote:
On Jul 12, 6:31 pm, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
m...
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Hairee. You shouldn't be giving away your secrets.

Alge treatment Roger Long Cruising 18 July 26th 07 01:19 AM
Lou Dobbs May Soon Get the 'Don Imus Treatment' [email protected] General 8 May 12th 07 06:40 AM
Nautical treatment of BDS [email protected] General 0 September 21st 05 11:53 PM
pumpout log/tank treatment ??? [email protected] Boat Building 4 May 3rd 04 04:49 AM
pumpout log/tank treatment ??? [email protected] Cruising 4 May 3rd 04 04:49 AM