Default 20" RAINBOW

Wifey and I went fishing yesterday. The Merc 40 ran really good, as I
replaced a little hose between the float bowl and electric choke. Float
bowls were immaculate. I also idled it up just tad.

Anyway, we were drifting, and bumping bottom and BAM. A 20" trout on a
light rig with 6# test was a lot of fun. We followed that up with two at
18". Gonna have the big one for dinner tonight.

This lake has a bad rap right now, as no one is catching anything. Well,
they just hadn't heard of me. I used the fish finder to locate, then my
fishing knowledge to get them. I have a new plan that is going to involve
placing two anchors, and casting to the slope they hang out on, and bumping
it down. It also involves two small marshmallows and a earthworm. Cut the
eye out of one side of a big needle. Put a nice blob of worm on the hook
with an 18" leader with a loop on one end. Then use that needle to thread
on your marshmallows. Clip the leader back into the swivel. Use a sliding
egg sinker, but not too big. Looking forward to the next trip. I've been
gps'ing the locations of these fish and places we've caught.

Oh, yeah, gonna buy one of those digital scales, too. As for this
information, I'm only putting it on the Internet, and not spreading it
around.

It is beautiful when the sun starts to set, and the vermilion cliffs are
awash in color. Maybe next time, I'll take some pictures. I did of the
trout, and will post to flickr.

Steve

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:00:34 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

Good stuff. I think trout fishermen rank with muskie fisherman for
stories.
Your plotting against the trout reminds me of a story I read in Field
& Stream years ago.
This was a back east stream with a hole where a big old cagey trout
hung out. Wouldn't take any bait offered.
So the fisherman climbed out onto a tree branch overhanging the hole,
and tied a big new killed snake to the branch.
As the snake rotted maggots would drop into the water, and the big
trout would suck them up.
After about 4 days of this, the fisherman climbed up to branch just
before dawn and took a maggot for his hook.
Can't remember the exact details, but there was a lot about the hook
he put it on, how he stayed concealed and generally snuck around that
hole, and of course "The Presentation."
You know, all that high-faluting fly fisherman talk.
Anyway, he landed that big trout.
Hope your plans work as well.
Just don't resort to tossing dynamite in there if things don't work
out.

--Vic

jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

Maybe he should consider a grasshopper. I hear they're readily
available thereabouts.

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:27:03 -0700, jps wrote:

Maybe he should consider a grasshopper. I hear they're readily
available thereabouts.

Used to catch and use grasshoppers for fishing a pond in backwoods
Missouri, where my grandfolks lived. Excellent bait.

--Vic

Some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:35:24 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

Some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Nice fish !

What was the cure for your engine problems?

Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 29, 6:35*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Now THAT is one happy kid.

Congrats!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/3672853847/
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 29, 3:42*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:27:03 -0700, jps wrote:

Maybe he should consider a grasshopper. *I hear they're readily
available thereabouts.

Used to catch and use grasshoppers for fishing a pond in backwoods
Missouri, where my grandfolks lived. *Excellent bait.

--Vic

so are tree locusts that are usually shrieking after the first week of
July.

Would Sotomayor Exonerate Bill Richardson & His "Moving AmericaForward" "Latino Voter Registration" Scam? [email protected] General 1 June 5th 09 07:44 PM
Over the Rainbow Eisboch General 0 October 30th 08 11:23 PM
Rainbow, new J-Class project (received by email) RtW Tall Ship Photos 2 June 19th 08 04:05 PM
Boating Lake Powell - Rainbow bridge Veggie General 2 November 9th 05 01:42 AM
Looking for Rainbow Mast Harper Boat Building 1 July 11th 03 03:12 PM