Default Another local landmark going....

The place opened a couple months before I was born...that means it's 60
years old as we speak.
It was a regular lunch hour spot for countless employees of the 'Mother
Corpse' from the time I started working in December of '71 until I retired
December '03...and beyond that.
Actually a cameraman and producer took me down there for a goodbye lunch and
the owners son presented me with a Midtown Tavern long sleeve nylon top.
I'll have to get down with my Canon G10 and get a few snapshots real soon.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1128510.html

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:17:45 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

The place opened a couple months before I was born...that means it's 60
years old as we speak.
It was a regular lunch hour spot for countless employees of the 'Mother
Corpse' from the time I started working in December of '71 until I retired
December '03...and beyond that.
Actually a cameraman and producer took me down there for a goodbye lunch and
the owners son presented me with a Midtown Tavern long sleeve nylon top.
I'll have to get down with my Canon G10 and get a few snapshots real soon.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1128510.html

I've seen a lot of even older places close down. Sad to see.
This surprised me:
"When liquor regulations allowed women into taverns in the early 70s,
Grant only grudgingly built a ladies washroom. To this day, women have
to walk through the kitchen, up a flight of stairs and past a walk-in
freezer to get to the bathroom."

Was Canada Islamic? Glad to see you deposed the mullahs.

--Vic

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:30:05 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

I've seen a lot of even older places close down. Sad to see. This
surprised me:
"When liquor regulations allowed women into taverns in the early 70s,
Grant only grudgingly built a ladies washroom. To this day, women have
to walk through the kitchen, up a flight of stairs and past a walk-in
freezer to get to the bathroom."

Was Canada Islamic? Glad to see you deposed the mullahs.

It wasn't only Canada. McSorley's, reputed to be the oldest Tavern in
NYC, was male only until 1970. I don't know if it's still the case, but
they didn't add a ladies washroom.

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

wrote:

[...]

Naw....just a bit of a hard case military/shipping port town.
Taverns were no place for decent women.
Just noticed...in the 3rd picture down were a couple of former
co-employees.. MacNeil & Martin.

MMC MMC is offline

"Don White" wrote in message
The place opened a couple months before I was born...that means it's 60
years old as we speak.
It was a regular lunch hour spot for countless employees of the 'Mother
Corpse' from the time I started working in December of '71 until I retired
December '03...and beyond that.
Actually a cameraman and producer took me down there for a goodbye lunch
and the owners son presented me with a Midtown Tavern long sleeve nylon
top.
I'll have to get down with my Canon G10 and get a few snapshots real soon.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1128510.html

Did you mean "Mother Corps"? The other way sounds like a bad horror flick.

So I go to the local SS offfice Vic Smith General 63 November 26th 08 04:45 PM
Some local history RCE General 1 July 4th 07 03:28 PM
Es Local ferry ŽiŠardo Tall Ship Photos 0 April 4th 07 10:00 PM
my local weather Tim General 2 January 8th 07 12:52 PM
Local Sea Scouts needs your help Ship Skipper General 7 February 7th 05 10:24 PM