BoatBanter.com

-   -   I always enjoy these guys (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/106373-i-always-enjoy-these-guys.html)

D.Duck May 25th 09 02:00 AM

I always enjoy these guys

Appropriate for Memorial Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90UPLLo6nY

BAR[_2_] May 25th 09 02:52 AM

I always enjoy these guys

D.Duck wrote:
Appropriate for Memorial Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90UPLLo6nY

I love close order drill. Hated it when I was on The Island. But once
you really understand the principles behind it, it is a thing of beauty.

Tuesday evenings at the Iwo Jima memorial will again see the Comadant's
Own and the Silent Drill team, now that we are into the summer season.

I still need to see the Navy's and the Army's parades they hold on other
nights of the week.

Wizard of Woodstock May 25th 09 04:17 AM

I always enjoy these guys

On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:52:14 -0400, BAR wrote:

Tuesday evenings at the Iwo Jima memorial will again see the Comadant's
Own and the Silent Drill team, now that we are into the summer season.

You know - I've never seen that.

I haven't been to The Wall yet either - don't think I will either.

BAR[_2_] May 25th 09 06:16 AM

I always enjoy these guys

Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:52:14 -0400, BAR wrote:

Tuesday evenings at the Iwo Jima memorial will again see the Comadant's
Own and the Silent Drill team, now that we are into the summer season.

You know - I've never seen that.

I haven't been to The Wall yet either - don't think I will either.

I know The Wall has deep meaning for those who served in SEA in that
era. But, when you do a 180 and walk across to the Korean War Memorial
it is chilling, very chilling. Pictures and descriptions just don't do
justice to the Korean War Memorial.

There is a book about the Korean war written by Martin Russ called The
Last Parallel. The last paragraph puts the who book into perspective.

BAR[_2_] May 25th 09 06:19 AM

I always enjoy these guys

BAR wrote:
Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:52:14 -0400, BAR wrote:

Tuesday evenings at the Iwo Jima memorial will again see the
Comadant's Own and the Silent Drill team, now that we are into the
summer season.

You know - I've never seen that.

I haven't been to The Wall yet either - don't think I will either.

I know The Wall has deep meaning for those who served in SEA in that
era. But, when you do a 180 and walk across to the Korean War Memorial
it is chilling, very chilling. Pictures and descriptions just don't do
justice to the Korean War Memorial.

There is a book about the Korean war written by Martin Russ called The
Last Parallel. The last paragraph puts the who book into perspective.

Correction: It is Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950.
Written by Martin Russ.

Eisboch[_4_] May 25th 09 06:46 AM

I always enjoy these guys

"Wizard of Woodstock" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:52:14 -0400, BAR wrote:

Tuesday evenings at the Iwo Jima memorial will again see the Comadant's
Own and the Silent Drill team, now that we are into the summer season.

You know - I've never seen that.

I haven't been to The Wall yet either - don't think I will either.

Tom, it's a personal thing, but you should consider it.
I didn't for years. Then I decided to go with a long time friend who had
some serious mental scars along with some other vets during Rolling Thunder
2002.

We rode our bikes down, participated in the events and spent the weekend.
The Wall was memorable, emotional, respectful and had a sense of closure
about it. Won't do it again, but glad I did once.

It also did my friend a world of good.

Eisboch

John H[_2_] May 25th 09 12:15 PM

I always enjoy these guys

On Sun, 24 May 2009 23:17:23 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock
wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:52:14 -0400, BAR wrote:

Tuesday evenings at the Iwo Jima memorial will again see the Comadant's
Own and the Silent Drill team, now that we are into the summer season.

You know - I've never seen that.

I haven't been to The Wall yet either - don't think I will either.

I didn't visit the wall for many years. Eventually I realized it was
just fear that was keeping me away. I was afraid of what my reaction
might be. Like Eisboch, it took a Rolling Thunder in the early 90's to
get me there.

But, I'm sure glad I went, and I take anyone that visits to see it.

BAR's comments about the Korean War memorial are spot on. It is best
visited at night, IMO, but must also be seen in the daylight. You can
almost feel the fear and trepidation of these soldiers as they head to
God knows what.
--

John H

Wizard of Woodstock May 25th 09 12:25 PM

I always enjoy these guys

On Mon, 25 May 2009 01:19:47 -0400, BAR wrote:

BAR wrote:
Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:52:14 -0400, BAR wrote:

Tuesday evenings at the Iwo Jima memorial will again see the
Comadant's Own and the Silent Drill team, now that we are into the
summer season.

You know - I've never seen that.

I haven't been to The Wall yet either - don't think I will either.

I know The Wall has deep meaning for those who served in SEA in that
era. But, when you do a 180 and walk across to the Korean War Memorial
it is chilling, very chilling. Pictures and descriptions just don't do
justice to the Korean War Memorial.

There is a book about the Korean war written by Martin Russ called The
Last Parallel. The last paragraph puts the who book into perspective.

Correction: It is Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950.
Written by Martin Russ.

Good thing I looked ahead. :)

Yeah - I've read it - required reading in my opinion.

Wizard of Woodstock May 25th 09 12:30 PM

I always enjoy these guys

On Mon, 25 May 2009 01:46:22 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Wizard of Woodstock" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:52:14 -0400, BAR wrote:

Tuesday evenings at the Iwo Jima memorial will again see the Comadant's
Own and the Silent Drill team, now that we are into the summer season.

You know - I've never seen that.

I haven't been to The Wall yet either - don't think I will either.

Tom, it's a personal thing, but you should consider it.
I didn't for years. Then I decided to go with a long time friend who had
some serious mental scars along with some other vets during Rolling Thunder
2002.

We rode our bikes down, participated in the events and spent the weekend.
The Wall was memorable, emotional, respectful and had a sense of closure
about it. Won't do it again, but glad I did once.

It also did my friend a world of good.

I might - I can't say never will. The kids are always after me to go
when I'm down there - I just can't do it now.

I'll admit it's fear which is odd because it was so long ago.

I dunno - maybe.

Wizard of Woodstock May 25th 09 12:33 PM

I always enjoy these guys

wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:52:14 -0400, BAR wrote:

Tuesday evenings at the Iwo Jima memorial will again see the Comadant's
Own and the Silent Drill team, now that we are into the summer season.

You know - I've never seen that.

I haven't been to The Wall yet either - don't think I will either.

I didn't visit the wall for many years. Eventually I realized it was
just fear that was keeping me away. I was afraid of what my reaction
might be. Like Eisboch, it took a Rolling Thunder in the early 90's to
get me there.

But, I'm sure glad I went, and I take anyone that visits to see it.

I hear you and having somebody with you helps too - even strangers. To
me it's really something very personal and I just don't want to share
that with anybody else.

Strange I know, but that's the way of it.