HK HK is offline

Default GM next?

wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 08:46:22 -0400, HK wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:13:43 -0400, HK wrote:

It will all come down to that "ban the secret ballot" law.
If the feds can get around state right to work laws the UAW might
succeed in destroying the whole US auto industry and sending all of
the plants to Mexico.
Ah, yes...those state "Right to Work for Less" laws the right wing uses
to make sure workers are no more than serfs.

... as opposed to those "card check" states where a union goon
supervises the workers decision to join? ;-)

Gee, I've been working with labor unions since the 1970s, and have been
involved in, literally, dozens of union representation elections. I've
yet to see anyone on the union side exerting even the amount of pressure
employers exert to sway the election.

You were not with the UAW were you?

My father in law had a VW beetle rolled over on the roof for parking
it too close to the Delco plant in Kokomo. He sold it and bought a
Nova after a snow plow destroyed it a couple months later. He got the
hint.

You have evidence the UAW was involved in either incident? More likely,
the former was simply an expression of love from his fellow workers.

When I lived in the Detroit area, the ad-pr agency I worked for had
American Motors as a client. I was not on that account, but it was
common knowledge at the agency that if you were heading out to AMC
offices or a plant, you went out there in an American-built car so as
not to offend management or workers.

I had a good time the few years I was in Detroit. Great restaurants,
great shopping, Sonny Eliot doing the weather and zoo reports, Canada
right across the river...

wrote:
[...]

right across the river...- Hide quoted text -

Detroit's a hole.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 13:58:28 -0400, HK wrote:

My father in law had a VW beetle rolled over on the roof for parking
it too close to the Delco plant in Kokomo. He sold it and bought a
Nova after a snow plow destroyed it a couple months later. He got the
hint.

You have evidence the UAW was involved in either incident? More likely,
the former was simply an expression of love from his fellow workers.

... and it is your fellow workers who will be twisting you arm until
you sign the card.

I still want to know, what is wrong with a secret ballot? It is how
we elected Obama.
Do you think as many suburban white people would have voted for him if
they had to do it with the neighbors watching?
He certainly polled a whole lot better here than the bumper stickers
would have predicted and even better than the exit polls indicated.

I believe I offered up a couple of URLs to you last week that described
in some detail how employers pressure employees to vote the company's
way, even after more than enough workers sign cards to indicate they
want a union.

Most of the arm-twisting comes from the employers. As in, "if you vote
union, we're shut down this plant." "If you vote union or help the union
in any way, we'll fire you." And so forth and so on.

Obama carried almost every group of voters, and lots of us "suburban
white people" wore Obama-Biden buttons to the polls.

Exit polling isn't a lot more reliable than internet polling.