Default Welcome to Obamanation, Part I...

Richard Casady wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2009 11:01:13 -0400, BAR wrote:

How are you going to advertise your Yard Sale? Some government
functionary is going see your ad or sign and is going to put your
address on a list and the owner of the property is going to receive a
letter demanding a "calculated" tax payment.

Before they can collect they have to establish that selling stuff for
10% of what you paid for it is somehow income. One more time, revenue
is not income.

What part of sales tax do you not understand. The state will declare
your yard sale a retail business and demand sales tax on each and every
sale. I hope you kept good records. The county is going to want to see
your permit for holding a "yard sale." No permit, then pay the fine.

Forget revenue and income at yard sales and think gross receipts.

"Don White" wrote in message

Do you think the US Government is going to monitor EVERY Yard Sale in
the US?
Cash transactions don't show up on your taxes....thank God.
Sounds like grasping in desperation, to me.

The Fed may not, but the local towns might and then forward information on.
In our town a permit is technically required to conduct a yard sale.
Without one, they can shut you down.

It's not a stretch to imagine permit data being forwarded to a database.

Eisboch

On Sun, 10 May 2009 11:53:12 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

wrote in message
On May 9, 7:27 pm, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
"...the federal government now considers your garage sale a “small
business” and you, yes YOU, sitting in your folding chair on your
driveway, a “retailer”."

http://tinyurl.com/qlw6gr

Do you think the US Government is going to monitor EVERY Yard Sale in
the US?
Cash transactions don't show up on your taxes....thank God.
Sounds like grasping in desperation, to me.

I suppose the provinces/municipalities could help out by requiring a short
term license to conduct a yard sale and expect you to collect and submit
HST/GST/PST whatever...

You would think so wouldn't you - I mean what you say makes perfect
sense.

However, in practice, that's not how it's worked out.

We have a local artisan, former Elementary School Principal who made
(note the past tense) the most exquisite toy trains of various
varieties of hard wood - oak, birch, ash, maple, etc. He uses no metal
in them at all and the sets come in two versions - unfinished and
finished. The finished sets are oiled - no varnish, poly, paint -
nothing - just wood and linseed oil - everything made by hand.

He's been making these trains since he was in high school which would
make it close to 50 years. They are beautiful toys and real heirloom
stuff. He made enough money on them to buy ever more expensive
hardwoods, keep his tools in good shape and it gave him something to
do. Sometimes he just gave them away as raffle prizes or to some
deserving kid whose parents couldn't afford them.

Normally, he sold these toys at yard sales and craft fairs - limited
production - I don't think he made more than 25 sets a year the entire
time he was doing this.

The last time he went to renew his shop insurance and personal
liability, the insurance company told him that they wouldn't renew his
policy until he had his product tested and received a certificate that
cleared his toys of this, that and the other "hazardous" material. He
looked into it - $9,800 per toy piece. The average train set had 7
pieces. You do the math.

Can't afford it - done and gone. He hasn't made a set in six months
and won't be making any more ever.

Now the State of Connecticut, in it's infinite wisdom, is considering
that anybody who sets up a yard sale has to apply for a state permit.
Guess what part of the requirement is to obtain the permit - beyond
applying for a tax number and collecting sales tax that is?

Yep - gotta have a certificate stating that any manufactured item you
sell has been cleared according to the specifications set out in this
ridiculous EPA policy. The fine suggested is $5,000 and/or 30 days in
jail.

So that's what happened and is happening.

But then I guess it's a good thing - I mean it's all about the
children you know.

It's the law of unintended consequences - which seems to be a hallmark
of the Obama Administration.

Not smart enough to think it through I guess.
HK HK is offline

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
e a hallmark
of the Obama Administration.

Not smart enough to think it through I guess.

Maybe you should move to South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, or Alabama,
states where almost anything goes, Tommy. Surely there must be somewhere
you can smoke those stinking cigars in an indoor restaurant.

wrote:
"...the federal government now considers your garage sale a "small
business" and you, yes YOU, sitting in your folding chair on your
driveway, a "retailer"."

http://tinyurl.com/qlw6gr

Do you think the US Government is going to monitor EVERY Yard Sale in
the US?
Cash transactions don't show up on your taxes....thank God.
Sounds like grasping in desperation, to me.

I suppose the provinces/municipalities could help out by requiring a short
term license to conduct a yard sale and expect you to collect and submit
HST/GST/PST whatever...

A lot of counties and cities require a permit for a yard sale.
That would open the door for an overzealous IRS to ask you how much
you made. After all they try to tax tips.

Aren't yard sales to get rid junk in most cases. Stuff you bought at a
price and then "give" it away for a buck or two. Sounds to me like you
could take a loss on your tax return, if it wasn't already depreciated for
tax purposes. And what private party depreciates bed sheets?