Default "I think I killed somebody"

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:32:58 -0700, jps wrote:

Yes, swords accounted for an extraordinary number of suicides and
murders over the last several decades. In the US, I'd bet the number
exceeds several dozen.

Guy ran amock with a sword on one of the NYC area ferries. A retired
cop had one of the rare NY concealed carry permits. He drew and killed
the swordsman.

Casady

On Apr 14, 8:01*am, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

"Jim22208" wrote in message

While you are getting the tar beat out of you, is probably when your
thinking will change and you will wish you had the capability to
resolve the dispute.

Or someone's taking aim on you. * Or a loved one.

Eisboch

That must be why floridajim works so hard to remain in that undisclosed
location in florida...he's scared.

What's your address again, Mr. Brave Harry?
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 05:53:37 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"jps" wrote in message
.. .

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:06:14 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Probably having guns available causes a lot less deaths to happen annually
than without guns. When there were a lot less people, and the kings and
feudal rulers were about, there lots of deaths by hacking and hewing.
Percentage wise a lot more than we now have via guns.

If you want to drift back to the middle ages I can see your point. It
was an ugly period and life wasn't worth a whole lot if you were in
someone's way.

I would hope you agree the human race has progressed some since then.

I don't think we've progressed as much as you would like to think.
The underlining causes leading to violence remain. Our prisons are full of
people that have demonstrated that. The means of delivering it is what has
progressed.

Our prisons are filled with junkies, meth and crack addicts, pot
smokers and dealers, some of which are bad people, some of which got
caught up in the easiest game in town.

I live in a city where opportunity is limited by color. If you're a
smart human being, you find ways to be successful in whatever
opportunity presents itself. Some do that legally, others do whatever
it takes.

I never had any interest in guns or firearms. Still don't really. Raising
three young kids in the house further influenced my choice not to have guns
around. But life's experiences, observations and frankly getting older has
changed my mind. As a young man I always fancied that I had the physical
capability to protect my home and it's occupants without the use of
firearms. Now, as I get older, think back to an experience I had as a
young man, read the daily accounts of robberies that include violence and
having had the experience of a break-in ourselves, my feelings have changed.
I now keep a firearm in the house now that the kids are all grown and on
their own. I don't use it as a hobby. I don't display it. In fact I
rarely even look at it. It's sole purpose is for protection of my wife and
I should the reason to use it ever present itself.

I understand and agree. It's likely I'll feel the same when I get to
be your age.

However, the gun laws surrounding ownership are loose and it's allowed
a profusion of hardware to make it throughout society. They're too
easily obtained outside of the law's control and that's just plain
stupid and irresponsible, which would best describe the actions and
membership of the NRA.

Gun manufacturers have made a fortune while our citizenry are ever
more threatened by their products. Brilliant business plan.